DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

Well, you'll have your unrelated tasks (audio/physics etc) spun off, but you're still ultimately limited on how fast you can do the shadow volume extrusion calculations.

IIRC, the Quake IV multi-threaded patch just split-off the rendering thread.

Even so, you can still observe a huge disparity in performance depending on CPU:

11506.png

Difference would be much lower at 720p because it's a higher load on the GPU then.

But there's good scaling, the Pentium D 8xx is a CPU you should run away from screaming yet it beats an Athlon 64, wow :).

Pentium D, FX 5800 Ultra.. Can we run this on Vista with 1GB ram? with Mac Affee or something. Perfect nightmare fuel.

But there's good scaling, the Pentium D 8xx is a CPU you should run away from screaming yet it beats an Athlon 64, wow :).

It's a dual core and Quake 4 is some what dual threaded unlike Doom 3.

So it's not fair to compare it with the Athlon 64, it's target is the Athlon 64 x2 3800+ which it loses to.

Doom 3 was the only game where a FX 5800 ultra made sense :D (apart from noise)
Then the FX 5900 competed with radeon 9600 pro, or maybe "fake 9600 pro" (a lot of cards had memory running at 200MHz instead of 300Mhz. rip off!)

Maybe PS3 has trouble because of its CPU. The PS3 CPU is a single core!, with two threads. So doing normal multithreading nets you with much less gain as with Xbox 360.
Literally, all my eyes want to do is close and stay closed, I am falling asleep. But I will be brief.

That's an interesting comment, and along with what AlStrong said, it might bring some light into what assurdum mentioned.

Single-threaded performance could be the cause as to why iD had some trouble getting the game running at 60 fps on consoles, especially challenging in the case of Cell and its unique design with a 2-threads PPU and the nimble SPUs.

And he mostly blamed the stencil shadows for this, because he defined them as "raster pigs".

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/john-...n-the-pc-doom-3-levels-more-taxing-than-rage/

(btw, by 30 fps on consoles the article means 30 fps running on 3D, the game runs at 60 fps)

In the end though, the game runs perfectly well even with 4 players split-screen:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/22/id-software-talks-doom-3-bfg-edition-on-ps3/

I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on. If you’ve got a big TV that’s really going to stand out. The guys basically wrote it from scratch to get it working

There are a few trailers about the game, but this is my favourite, especially moment the Revenant appears, at 34 seconds in. It's one of my favourites enemies from Doom series.

There is a new review at Eurogamer. Not very kind, but I don't mind.

I know deep down that I am going to love the game equally.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-19-doom-3-bfg-edition-review

I like reading reviews, a LOT, but it has been a long time since I trust the scores.

I have quite a few games scored with a 10 that are taking dust.

Good news the Digital Foundry article about the game will be out this week, it is going to be pretty interesting. I just hope they don't rush it, and they take their time.

"This review is intended purely as an assessment of how Doom 3's content and gameplay stand up today. If you're interested in the features and technical aspects of this new version, Digital Foundry will have extensive coverage for you over the next two days."

On a different note, I am very very curious about the multiplayer. They complain about it on the review.

But for me, based on my own experience, the most simple and straightforward the multiplayer is, the most fun by far!

Two more reviews. Typical Doom 3, mixed reviews just like in the past (I for one loved it of course).

God is a Geek review 8/10:

VERDICT: BFG Edition is a strong package, which for a low price gives you a highly impressive HD remake of a classic game, with a pleasant dose of nostalgia thrown in along the way. It also reminds you of how cool the Doom universe is, the Satanism in Space premise is fun and at times genuinely scary, even if it took them a while to get there from the cartoon-y face at the bottom of your original Doom screen, to the bloodthirsty Lovecraftian terrors that inhabit Doom 3. Well worth revisiting.

http://www.godisageek.com/2012/10/doom-3-bfg-edition-review/

Nowgamer review: 6.9

This is the first appearance of the original Doom and its sequel on PS3, and for that it’s worth buying. It’s a shame then that the main attraction – Doom 3 in HD with its add-ons – is (still) such a let down.

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-reviews/1639211/doom_3_bfg_edition_review.html

One of my preferred reviews at the moment. I think what he says helps a lot for others to understand what people loved about Doom 3.

From Destructoid. Score: 8

Mention DOOM 3 to most fans, and the common (disparaging) response will be, "Monster Closets." Earning criticism for its jump scares, lack of charisma, and stylistic departure from previous DOOM titles, DOOM 3 has not aged well in the eyes of most fans.

This particular fan, however, disagrees with consensus.

DOOM 3 holds up as a solid and atmospheric horror shooter, and the new BFG Edition works, not only as a celebration of a game that gets an unfair reputation, but as a worthy collection of the game's three main entries, sporting as it does DOOM and DOOM II. Monster Closets be damned!

I'm somewhat surprised Bethesda and id Software chose to market this release as DOOM 3, since the inclusion of the original two titles makes it far more akin to a full-on DOOM collection and, in my opinion, would have made it a lot more marketable. Nevertheless, this compilation of titles and additional content works most adequately in celebrating three classic shooters ...

The star of the show is, by virtue of name, DOOM 3. You've got at least ten hours of gameplay from the solo campaign, alongside a fully functioning online multiplayer mode, and while it's clear that the game has aged considerably since 2004, I still find it not only gratifying in its combat, but still highly effective as a scary horror game. Say what you will about "cheap" jump scares, but DOOM 3 had it mastered, and it can still make a player jump when it wants to.

The fact that monsters can spawn anywhere, even several rooms behind the player so their advance can't be detected, fosters a sense of paranoia that many modern horror games have failed to replicate, at least in the premium retail space. DOOM 3's aggressive, resilient bestiary of demons and zombies still makes for an impressive and intimidating array of opposition, while the dark industrial levels are oppressive and increasingly macabre.

I still have a ton of respect for DOOM 3 regardless, a game that showcased how horror can still work in a combat-heavy game, and maintains a sense of satisfyingly simple action in a world of cover systems and regenerating health. The A.I. isn't very good anymore and the enemies don't react to your gunfire much, but at its core, DOOM 3 still provides a rock solid dose of old-fashioned first-person shooting.

Some excellent points, and there are more interesting comments in it.

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/review-doom-3-bfg-edition-237084.phtml#8BdrzVYrASRp5b5s.99

Looking at it, I still don't see the technical achievement personally. It just looks old and dated. So, I highly disagree with the reviewer: the game did not age well.

I wonder how Doom 4 will look in comparison.

Looking at it, I still don't see the technical achievement personally. It just looks old and dated. So, I highly disagree with the reviewer: the game did not age well.

I wonder how Doom 4 will look in comparison.
This review says the game has aged well, too. I also think it didn't lose the beauty.

I played it on the original Xbox 1 at much worse quality and now I can discern a lot of new details.

Doom 3 has aged fantastically well. Provided you haven’t already played the games in this collection, BFG Edition is also a solid value. However, if you already own the XBLA Doom games or have played Doom 3 on PC, recommending BFG Edition becomes less easy to do.

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2012/10/19/doom-3-bfg-edition-review/

Doom3 needs a Cinematic Mod maybe for you guys? Can't do that on consoles though!

Are they using MSAA? How much AF does it appear they are using? Any brilinear/bilinear uglies?

Played a bit of Doom 3 last night. Textures are chunky but the lighting and shadowing are still as good as they were back in the day. And I have to admit that it's the first time I ever played D3 and it's been buttery smooth all the time!

Back