[PC] Doom 3 BFG *spinoff*

:oops: that's quite impressive. But I think it's hard enough for a PC to run a game at those resolutions let alone playing on Ultra HD at 60 fps -or also 120 fps, for example-. To me the beauty is in the silk smoothness when it comes to gaming.

Dude it's Doom 3, I could rape that thing to hell and back ( ;) ) on my machine at 4k and over 120fps.

exactly cyan is singing its praises because it can run in a resolution thats below what we were using in 1997 (quake2 era)
It can run at 720p - as can practically every windows game ever released run at similar resolutions - how is that a selling point and why are you exited about it ?

High end TVs are what defines the HD era. The HD revolution began with TVs.

What the hell are you smoking i want some of that!!! :devilish:

Now serious, the High Definition revolution didn't started with tv's, it started with PC monitors, monitors even some old CRT based ones where already using resolutions above conventional Tv´s 720x576 resolution in 1997, for example at that time i was playing at 1024x768 on my CRT and in 2000 i bought a TFT monitor that supported 1280x1024, just because TV sellers call 1280x720 HD that does not make it a true HD resolution compared to monitors, BUT it is indeed HD compared to the old TV's.

Just a curiosity, if 1280x720 (720p) is HD and 1920x1080 (1080p) is full HD what is my current monitor 1680x1050 (1050p) resolution, medium HD? :LOL:

It's just a marketing term for televisions. Why do you folks have your pinky flesh consumed, knee-deep in the dead on the shores of hell over such an infernal issue?

Here. That's all the short names of various resolutions. EOS. Now quit derailing the thread! :devilish:

Dude it's Doom 3, I could rape that thing to hell and back ( ;) ) on my machine at 4k and over 120fps.
:oops: Wow almighty, I would be absolutely awe-struck playing on your machine. I wonder what are the specs.

Even so, you might not be ready for the new version yet. Not trying to belittle a system like yours, of course. I just know plenty of gamers would like to play the new version at max specs, but they changed some of the options and settings.

I just found this article about how to tweak some aspects of the game on the PC, that don't seem to be apparent at first.

http://segmentnext.com/2012/10/16/d...s-freezes-fov-graphics-fixes-and-dev-console/

Cyan, I could probably run the game at 2560x1600 and I have a lowly GTX 650. DOOM 3 ain't much for modern cards.

at 5276x1050 I get a constant 60fps and thats because of vsync without it god knows what I'd get. I do believe 120fps @ 4k is possible on todays pc's. I do know I can run quake 3 at 999fps (the counter doesnt go any higher)

I remember a decade ago those high end PCs at over 300FPS in Q3, that was so impressive :LOL:

the first time I tried D3 back in 2004 I was playing it at 1024x768 with high settings over, 30FPS but under 60 with a FX5900SE,
but anything over a 6600GT would achieve the "60FPS HD" I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
That just worries me that it will fracture the mod community
either support only 1 or have to do more work and have 2 versions

:oops: Wow almighty, I would be absolutely awe-struck playing on your machine. I wonder what are the specs.

Even so, you might not be ready for the new version yet. Not trying to belittle a system like yours, of course. I just know plenty of gamers would like to play the new version at max specs, but they changed some of the options and settings.

I just found this article about how to tweak some aspects of the game on the PC, that don't seem to be apparent at first.

http://segmentnext.com/2012/10/16/d...s-freezes-fov-graphics-fixes-and-dev-console/

EVGA SR-2 with dual Xenons running at 5.3Ghz cooled by a Little Devil Phase Change case at -40c ( Yes that's minus )

Tri-Fire 7950's overclocked to 1.2Ghz each.

I have to run my games with either Edge Detect 12x AA with TrSSAA or with super sampling, if I don't run that insane AA then I'm CPU limited in all but a few games.

I'm even CPU limited in Crysis at 2560x1600!!

Problem I have is that the socket 2011 Xenons are completely locked out of overclocking so I'm stuck with the SR-2, I have contemplated getting an X79 board and running a single CPU but my phase unit is built for dual CPU's and would converting to a single.

I can't wait for 4k monitors to become affordable.

You've been smoking the same stuff as Cyan haven't you ;)

8000x2560 (aka 5x 2560x1600 in portrait) has the same ppi as a single 2560x1600 monitor

Anyway while it was a suggestion the Gaming Gods have now decided it shall come to pass.
Retrieve thine credit card young padawan and go forth and achieve your destiny

Loss of graphics options in Doom 3 is debatable, they were useful a decade ago i.e. if you have a geforce 4ti, run medium, if you have a geforce 4MX or maybe a geforce 4 with 64MB run low.

Even then the differences were low between each mode, high was just medium with 8x aniso filtering applied and maybe also one texture layer not being compressed, Ultra was just no texture compression at all. Low was most compressed with some stuff downsampled and made to run on 64MB video memory, elsewise the game targetted 128MB.

I would use the console anyway to set r_gamma, r_lightScale and anisotropic filtering level (or to run the game at 512x384 on a laptop with radeon 9100 IGP). Try ctrl-alt-whatever the console key is, maybe it will give you the console as in the original doom 3.

You've been smoking the same stuff as Cyan haven't you ;)

8000x2560 (aka 5x 2560x1600 in portrait) has the same ppi as a single 2560x1600 monitor

Anyway while it was a suggestion the Gaming Gods have now decided it shall come to pass.
Retrieve thine credit card young padawan and go forth and achieve your destiny

I had hard enough time trying to convince the other half to let my spend just over £1k on a single monitor, getting atleast 3 of them would of been a big no no....

I'm happy with what I have, I also think that gaps in the bezel would piss me off.

The bezel issue alone kills any interest I have in eyefinity. Also, you'd need the mother of all GPU setups to run a 3-screen 1440P or 1600P eyefinity config with all quality sliders maxed in a lot of games, not to mention a very deep pocketbook.

Just isn't worth it IMO.

Back