DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

I forgot that one. You are so quick with information that you seem to be able to discuss something and will always come out intact. Brilliant stuff.

When the player emerges from his hibernation ark at the beginning of the game and stumbles into the post-apocalyptic Wasteland, first impressions of the world id has created are breathtaking: nothing this rich, so detailed, so nuanced can run at 60FPS on console, right? What we're seeing is the id formula: the technological genius of John Carmack backed by the financial security that allows him and his team to branch out in new directions and only release the result "when it's done".

I wonder if Doom 3 will use some kind of dynamic resolution too -I truly hope not-. 720p and 60 fps 100% of the time aren't usual on consoles these days.

I forgot that one. You are so quick with information that you seem to be able to discuss something and will always come out intact. Brilliant stuff.

I wonder if Doom 3 will use some kind of dynamic resolution too -I truly hope not-. 720p and 60 fps 100% of the time aren't usual on consoles these days.

Yeah. Hoping for 100% 720p.

I'll pick this game up when they have that FAIL patched.

Cheers

Ah... so apparently you can access them through the dashboard (installed). It's the launcher that's borked.

(NeoGAF)
Installing it to the hard drive prevents the in-game menu from letting you access the old titles, but you can totally get to them from the Games Library as long as you have the disc in whether you've installed BFG or not. They are indeed the original XBLA versions and as such don't have new achievements.
A shame they didn't just generate XBLA codes to redeem so you didn't need the disc in the drive. They could even have used the codes as the buy-it-new incentive *groan* :p

What we're seeing is the id formula: the technological genius of John Carmack backed by the financial security that allows him and his team to branch out in new directions and only release the result "when it's done".
He won't have financial security forever if he keeps laying eggs the size of Rage.

He personally probably will. What Id the corporation does financially doesn't effect him.

That's why he has who knows how many millions to spend on rockets.

Even if he's not presently raking in the cash, he presumably had a mountain of it from the past, invested well.

That said, i think Carmack/Id has lost it for sure. But it's hard to blame Carmack when he just doesn't really seem to care about games anymore, other than maybe as a part time job. I suppose that's his prerogative. he is 45 with a family.

/OT

My Athlon 3200+ Geforce 6600 GT combo managed to run the game at a fairly consistent 60 fps with everything cranked to the max except for texture resolution @ 1024x768 (which isn't exactly an awful lot less than 720p)

That a current gen console can do the same doesn't strike me as particularly noteworthy.

He personally probably will. What Id the corporation does financially doesn't effect him.

That's why he has who knows how many millions to spend on rockets.

Even if he's not presently raking in the cash, he presumably had a mountain of it from the past, invested well.

That said, i think Carmack/Id has lost it for sure. But it's hard to blame Carmack when he just doesn't really seem to care about games anymore, other than maybe as a part time job. I suppose that's his prerogative. he is 45 with a family.

/OT
You sure? His passion and absolute fascination for games and technology is still noticeable in his conferences and rather extensive speeches where he talks so openly and with such a passion about technology that you can see he still has it!

I think he is just like every other human. For instance, my eyes get tired after hours on a computer even with glasses. Without they don't, and you'd think they would, because to see it, I have to be 5 centimeters from the screen. :LOL:Doctors say you should look 60 centimeters away every 20 minutes you are on the computer anyway.

So, imho, he is just fine.

My Athlon 3200+ Geforce 6600 GT combo managed to run the game at a fairly consistent 60 fps with everything cranked to the max except for texture resolution @ 1024x768 (which isn't exactly an awful lot less than 720p)

That a current gen console can do the same doesn't strike me as particularly noteworthy.
The point is that there are technical upgrades, basically meaning improved rendering technology and lightning, aside from a better sound.

If you read almighty's posts, when the original Half Life 2 engine got upgraded, the game couldn't cope with the new additions in order to run at 60 fps on consoles. Thus it runs at 30 fps and we have to be thankful.

Also, the Geforce 6600 GT was THE Doom 3 card, :oops: and in fact I believe it was in the past bundled with the game and it had this edition called after the name of the game.

But how much better is the current version compared to the original ?
Even with all that it's still ancient tech with ancient shaders and sub par texturing. It's still using the performance heavy stencil shadows, and the flashlight shadows have been removed completely !

I don't see improved rendering here:
rRjhN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But how much better is the current version compared to the original ?
Even with all that it's still ancient tech with ancient shaders and sub par texturing. It's still using the performance heavy stencil shadows, and the flashlight shadows have been removed completely !

I don't see improved rendering here:
rRjhN.jpg

Master_Sergeant_Kelly_%28Doom%29.jpg

I thought he looked different (along with the other main characters). Weird that they changed his armour.

They even removed the flashlight shadows? Seriously? That basically means my old ass pc didn't just run the same version of the game, but a better looking one. The texture maps in the screen shots don't look on par with the PC version's ultra textures either.

TBF, you've been playing with mods the whole time, so maybe it's best to have a proper side-by-side comparison to refresh your memory instead of spamming said mods (especially as it's the console side of the forum). :p

I'm sure there's a place for PC discussion in the PC forum where others frequent more than here.

PC Doom 3 BFG Discussion
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62508

I wonder what the performance would be like if they changed the game to use depth maps for the shadows instead of volumes. They already have that in the engine anyways.

The level of tearing on ps3... ugh... it's really high. I mean, wow. It's the second time who I'm expected better to id; maybe I overstimate too much ps3 at this point, but really I can't believe we can't do a little bit better with the ps3 hardware. I mean, Rage & now Doom BFG, not seems exactly to have the best fit on ps3.

I wonder what the performance would be like if they changed the game to use depth maps for the shadows instead of volumes. They already have that in the engine anyways.

hm... They'd probably run out of memory or cut back further on textures. :p (IIRC, "High" needed 256MB VRAM back then).

The level of tearing on ps3... ugh... it's really high. I mean, wow. It's the second time who I'm expected better to id; maybe I overstimate too much ps3 at this point, but really I can't believe we can't do a little bit better with the ps3 hardware. I mean, Rage & now Doom BFG, not seems exactly to have the best fit on ps3.
Do you have the PS3 version yet?! Here in Europe the game didn't come out at the moment.

I don't think Carmack's passion is any less. I think that his ambition has exceeded his management skill. Look, Rage shouldn't have taken six years, not for the quality of product we got. Period. You can make any excuse you want, but every single one of them will amount to a bad management decision on his part--either failure to manage the content creation process, or failure to recognize that the tech goal couldn't be realized in a reasonable development time and to push unveiling the tech back to his next release. id needs some serious changes in how they do things. They probably need to hire someone who has experience managing the production of major games on a realistic schedule.

I don't think Carmack's passion is any less. I think that his ambition has exceeded his management skill. Look, Rage shouldn't have taken six years, not for the quality of product we got. Period. You can make any excuse you want, but every single one of them will amount to a bad management decision on his part--either failure to manage the content creation process, or failure to recognize that the tech goal couldn't be realized in a reasonable development time and to push unveiling the tech back to his next release. id needs some serious changes in how they do things. They probably need to hire someone who has experience managing the production of major games on a realistic schedule.

I think John realizes this since he has pointed out that they can't afford to take 6 years to make a game anymore. It does seem like he underestimated how long it would take to develop iD tech 5, so now that their first game is out, they can apply their experience and what they have learned for their next project.

If they plan on continuing with Doom 4's development, I'm going to assume they'll expand development to support both current and next gen consoles. I wonder if they'll take much time optimizing the engine for DX11 hardware, or if they'll improve it as much as they see necessary and just build on that foundation throughout the life cycle of the next systems.

Back