[PC] Doom 3 BFG *spinoff*

i run 3 5:4 1280X1024 in eyefinity, wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. great view angle at a resolution which i can still get good solid visuals on a single GPU/card.

i run 3 5:4 1280X1024 in eyefinity, wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. great view angle at a resolution which i can still get good solid visuals on a single GPU/card.

I was thinking about doing something like this, but the bezels of my 5:4 screens are to big...
this vertical eyefinity setup... seems to suffer from the same problem...

:rolleyes: hum...nop POM is perfect for ground detail it works best in flat surfaces, that's why Crytek uses POM on Crysis1 and 2 for ground detail, and you know dx11 tessellation will just be used in the same manner from now on even on the 2 next gen consoles, about the height of the POM on that picture, it is not that bad, is slightly exaggerated is true but maybe the user just likes it that way, imo the realism is still there, also there's nothing stopping us from using a console command to change the POM height value, that's the beauty of PC gaming.
POM is really not that perfect, it introduces a lot of artifacts like the image shows.

A proper QDM or any other displacement scheme which has perfect ray height field hit detection would be preferable.
Would love to see multi-layered method allowing deep displacement with possibly transparent layers.. ;)

I don't suppose there is any way to get this to work with BFG?

No, because there is Tech 5 code in BFG which makes it incompatible with the mods.

If, as Tim Willits said, they were targeting the console audience, why did they remove co-op that was present in the Xbox port of the original? BFG is based on the PC release, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, because there is Tech 5 code in BFG which makes it incompatible with the mods.

If, as Tim Willits said, they were targeting the console audience, why did they remove co-op that was present in the Xbox port of the original? BFG is based on the PC release, but still.

It was my understanding that BFG had Co Op.

Consoles, no more no less.

But I'd swear I saw the Xbox version casting shadows when using the flashlight.

I completed the game a few times on the original Xbox, but it was 7 years ago, before I purchased the 360.

You remembered wrong then. Simple as that. The honor of having rendered a shadow casting flash light on the Xbox went to the infinitely better Chronicles of Riddick instead.

Dangit, why did they change the whole pak-style way to manage game files?

I have a very simple mod for the game, all it does is add realtime lights to the projectiles of the plasma rifle and rocket launcher, plus buff the number of pellets shot by the shotgun as well as up the firing rates and clip sizes of most guns. Like, turning the totally anemic Doom3 minigun into something that feels more like good old painless from The Predator.

Wonder how I can replicate that stuff with the new .resource-style game files...

:oops: Wow almighty, I would be absolutely awe-struck playing on your machine. I wonder what are the specs.

Even so, you might not be ready for the new version yet. Not trying to belittle a system like yours, of course. I just know plenty of gamers would like to play the new version at max specs, but they changed some of the options and settings.

You seem to have a pretty warped view of the capability of modern PC's Cyan. Doom 3 was released in 2004 and even the 7800GTX (utterly obsolete by todays standards) should be able to handle 1080p at 60fps in it. You'd only need 8x that power to achieve 4K at 120fps which is provided by plenty of relatively modest single GPU setups these days.

If you really want to do such an overkill and have the physical space, maybe what's left is building something with multiple projectors.

The most bad ass thing may be this, a 360 degree Quake 3 :p
This is quite an old hack (jan 2008) and doesn't look that practical but it's nice it was ever made.

What I've never found is a video of vintage Doom running in surround mode (doom 1.0 or 1.1 with three networked PC). I maybe should have tried to get that working when I had time, the thing is you need to find such an old doom version (with bad network code and a few bugs), and wire three MS-DOS PC (this might be possible even with brand new PCs, packet driver for the NIC can be available or you just use a few year old NIC, then a stupid chain of TSR's should get you IPX networking..)

Didn't knowwhich thread to bump, just want to say that if anyone has POM working in Sikkmod in their Doom3 can u please give me your "interaction.vfp" and "test.vfp" files cos the all the links on the internet to the "fixed" files have a corrupted rar file .

Please !

Btw, I prefer turning off color grading as it has that "piss filer " feel to it in some areas and turn the HDR to "Filmic (Complex)". it creates a better contrast without the piss filer colours !

332uvd0.jpg

izlq2a.jpg

Next, i am thinking of turning off bloom, as I liked the "hard" look of Doom 3

I am thinking of turning off bloom next,as I like the "hard" look of Doom 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
U need to disable Catalyst AI or it gets all messesd up. I fired up Doom3 after playing Rage , and i got a stretched screen with nothing i could understand except the HUD, I guess. Went back disable Catalyst AI and everything was back to normal.

I have to alternatively enable and disable Catalyst AI for Rage and Doom3 otherwise the games gfx get garbled. I have a catalyst 12.4 which has the option to enable and disable Catalyst AI.

Back