[PC] Doom 3 BFG *spinoff*

I.S.T.

Veteran
I guess this goes here, rather than create a new thread.

Looks like the PC version of Doom 3: BFG Edition is all fucked up. The graphics options are nearly non-existant, FOV's locked unless you enable the console with a steam command line switch, and the textures are blurry as fuck.

Oh, and it's glitchy on AMD cards, running incredibly slow. Who knows who's to blame for that one, but given it's across multiple cards and driver versions, and Doom 3 came out over a half decade ago, I think it's on Id's shoulders...

ModNote: Thought it should have its own thread anyway just to keep things clean. :p

There's no need for graphics options, its 8 years old. You couldn't change fov without the console in the original either, and I think it's just the brighter environment bringing out the poor textures.

Just watched the trailer, optimised for xbox360 and ps3 in other words optimised for systems very similar to what the game was released on, whats the point of that...

According to a few people on overclock.net the re-release looks worse then the original!.

It also doesn't seem to support Sikkmod and Wulfruns texture packs either, which flat out sucks!!

This is how I had the original looking

doom32011100910274755.jpg

doom32011101006284166.jpg

Words can not describe how awesome that looks in motion with 4xSGSAA.

TBF, you've been playing with mods the whole time, so maybe it's best to have a proper side-by-side comparison to refresh your memory instead of spamming said mods (especially as it's the console side of the forum). :p

I'm sure there's a place for PC discussion in the PC forum where others frequent more than here.

These are the only quality settings you have on PC, a massive step down in the options from the original.

2012-10-16_00003_zpsb8451025.jpg

I wonder myself...where is the clue? Where is the achievement...

The PPC cores in both consoles aren't known for their single threaded performance. You might think of each thread as similar to 1.6GHz P4's. :p Previous idTech4 games were always limited to 30fps.

The Doom3 engine is also a fillrate hog and both consoles are sort of limited on that front.

It's basically IdTech4 with some things bolted on from 5. The lighting and shadow model are largely what make IdTech4 anyway, which is what Doom 3 is all about.

They didn't mention as to what Tech5 stuff they put in though:

Carmack elaborated further, noting that elements of id Tech 5 (for reference, Doom 3 ran on id Tech 4) have been integrated into Doom 3 BFG Edition.
link

If I had to guess, it's probably more related to the console-side optimizations they learned from Rage as well as *ahem* auto-save (as disruptive as it seems to be) + loading?. Wonder if the particle/transparency system was updated.

Can the .pak's be opened to compare the shaders?

It doesn't seem to be released in europe yet. It's not even in the "coming soon" list in the Steam client, not sure WTF is up with that. Why the devil wouldn't they want people to know the game's coming...?

Seems like this D3 re-release is nothing more then a cash cow to try and rake back some of the money they lost on RAGE....

TBF, you've been playing with mods the whole time, so maybe it's best to have a proper side-by-side comparison to refresh your memory instead of spamming said mods (especially as it's the console side of the forum). :p

I'm sure there's a place for PC discussion in the PC forum where others frequent more than here.
Some of the Doom 3 mods on PC look incredible. Others are just a bit over the top, imho. Illogically so.

For instance, the whole ground in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/xJkVf.jpg

Aside from that I would like to see some direct feed photos like those used in the Digital Foundry articles, always fascinating stuff.

For now my eyes only see a fabulous game that runs at 60 fps on my console. IRL, you would never know it looking at me because I try to be the picture of calm while I am waiting for this game, but inside, I'm raging.

Seems like this D3 re-release is nothing more then a cash cow to try and rake back some of the money they lost on RAGE....
Hello almighty. Why are you criticizing iD all the time? It's a bit off putting.

I was about to re-buy Doom 3 for the PC a couple of months ago, especially because there was a similar bundle than the games included with Doom 3 BFG Edition on Steam that looked interesting. There is a market for this game because it doesn't get old.

Apart from the technical improvements, the game is interesting because it also includes gameplay changes. :)

As for the money thing... I think the most plausible theory is what Laa-Yosh mentioned time ago. That they need all the financial resources they can get in the mean time while they complete Doom 4.

So launching a masterpiece series like Doom as of currently on consoles makes sense, especially for those who missed this fine game the previous generation either on consoles or the PC.

It's like we can run it fully upgraded on consoles now.

Ewwwww.... you can change the height of the POM via a command iirc :)
hehe, that's one of the best advantages of having a PC. Talking of which, is it confirmed that they removed the shadows from the flashlight?

Because if so I would like to have a PC-like option mod included in the console game to change that feature. That would be a much-needed feature.

iirc, the flashlight casted shadows on the Xbox 1, so why not now?

If that rumour is true, I wonder if it has something to do with allowing the player to use the weapon and the flashlight at the same time, because of the added fireworks affecting the shadows, thus increasing the processing power needed.

And you know how *fragile* consoles are in that sense.

Besides that, in the hypothetical situation this was the cause, they could allow the flashlight cast shadows when selecting the option to play like the original -meaning no weapon + flashlight at the same time-.

The use of light and shadows was one of my favourites features of Doom 3, and I remember using the flashlight a lot on the original Xbox just to see how the shadows changed. It was a feature that set Doom 3 apart from other games of the time.

Back