[PC] Doom 3 BFG *spinoff*

Scheming through cvar list for original DOOM 3 (2004), I came across "m_smooth". The description is m_smooth = number of samples blended for mouse viewing.

Does m_smooth mean "mouse smoothing" ? If so, m_smooth = "0" disables mouse smoothing, right?

Also, I've recently found out that a lot of cvars that worked in original DOOM 3 (2004) do not work in BGF Edition. :(
Anyway to enable muzzle flash in BFG Edition? or does this require another patch? :LOL:

I tried a Android port of Doom3 called DIII4A a couple of weeks ago and it ran pretty well on Shield Tablet and a Nexus 9 that I got recently. It has touch controls, unlike the official Doom3 BFG port. Shadows were a little funky though at some angles for some reason. It's a shame that's abandoned. It would be nifty to see that updated and using full OpenGL (instead of ES) or Vulkan. I imagine Vulkan would be good for mobile CPUs.

Though apparently the Nexus 9 has some lame out of date drivers that don't have full OpenGL or Vulkan. Strange Google nonsense going on there.

Last edited:
Ok I gave it a try. Runs very smoothly. One issue I saw was with window transparency getting a strange lens-like distortion at an angle. I can't figure out how to capture a screenshot though.

I wonder if this runs faster than the OpenGL renderer. Would be interesting to try it on something like a Pentium 4. ;) I don't have any PCIe Pentium 4s around, nor extra Vulkan capable cards though heh.

I used Win+G for my screenshot.
I tried it on my Surface 4 with Iris 540. Latest drivers as of today being 4729. I had the manually install Intel's driver package because the normal Surface 4 drivers don't include Vulkan. It runs but there are major visual issues with flickering portions of the screen and black squares in fullscreen. There also seems to be mip mapping or texture LOD problems that cause bad texture aliasing.

I had to put it into windowed mode to get the Game Bar to be visible. In windowed mode it doesn't do the flickering or corruption but you can see the texture problems.

Intel Iris 540
DOOM 3_ BFG Edition 8_21_2017 3_12_36 PM.png DOOM 3_ BFG Edition 8_21_2017 3_13_45 PM.png

GTX 1070

Weird window lensing problem. There is a note about this being fixed on the latest 0.92 release but this still looks wrong to me.

Also has the texture aliasing.
DOOM 3_ BFG Edition 8_21_2017 3_24_38 PM.png DOOM 3_ BFG Edition 8_21_2017 3_24_55 PM.png

Last edited:
Also, it seems that Windows scaling causes the lockup problems with resolution changes. On my desktop I don't use scaling and I can change resolution and full/windowed state without freezes. HOWEVER, the game still needs a restart because you can get visual problems from these changes.

Back