RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But atleast it got vegetation. I mean apart from Megatexture the landscape seem really empty so far put against a game like Oblivion and effects leave a lot to be desire looking at that car race bit. :p

Kinda like ID's "COD" but with megatexture although amazing art and uniqueness also seems rather low-res like Fallout3'ish... *don't hit me*

Well, just the fact that it's multiplatform means that it won't even come close to Crysis. In all likelihood it'll be, at best, about as good-looking as the best-looking games on the consoles, except higher rez/AA'd for PC. The only think I think the game can do that will be really impressive is if it looks as good as Gears2/KZ2/Uncharted but with huge open maps, as promised. I'm still not sold on megatextures as a magic bullet, though.

For those who don't know, ID announced RAGE won't be pushing PC hardware (as opposed to another multiplatform title Doom4), which is enough to explain some of the rage you see here. ;)

As for me, I'm a little disappointed with Rage graphically. When you have a tech to prebake lighting everywhere you don't expect to see generic looking bloom heavy screenshots, especially indoors for which pretty much every other game failed to date.

For those who don't know, ID announced RAGE won't be pushing PC hardware (as opposed to another multiplatform title Doom4), which is enough to explain some of the rage you see here. ;)

Beats me. I just want an 'Nhancer' application for ATI so I can use bullshoting certified graphics for this game with massive res downscaled. 2560x1600 4xAA downscaled to 1680x1050... mmmm :p

But atleast it got vegetation.

Meh, Oblivion's vegetation is overrated. It looks great in pics and in off-screen movies but once you get in the midst of a big prarie it's low-rez, performance-tank inducing, alpha-texturing at its worse. Only CoD4's grass manages to look worse (aliasing - argh my eyes!).

I mean apart from Megatexture the landscape seem really empty so far put against a game like Oblivion and effects leave a lot to be desire looking at that car race bit. :p

The game is supposed to be set in the southwestern part of the US (AZ, NM, etc.) after a comet nearly destroyed all life. You want trees in this desert? How about some pink bunnies too? :p The cacti shown in the (tech) videos look alright to me. :cool:

Kinda like ID's "COD" but with megatexture although amazing art and uniqueness also seems rather low-res like Fallout3'ish... *don't hit me*

Oh crap, not this too?! Just this weekend I've been hunting the nexus for some high-rez texture pack love for FO3! I tell you, Bethesda's dev machines only have 128mb of video ram! :devilish:

There is nothing about megatexture that should preclude using vegetation though. I am quite sold on megatexture for games in the future and hope other devs implement a copy of it in the future as well.

There are new Game Informer cover story pics out..

Slightly mixed bag, at least some of the shots look downright awesome imo..

Definitely a top tier graphical game on consoles, and at 60 FPS! Id proves themselves again I suppose..

Revisiting the ever popular DVD vs Blu Ray argument, Carmack says they would have loved to make Rage three DVD's/one Blu Ray, but it doesn't easily split up that way so it will be two DVD's (two wastelands). However Doom 4 will likely be 3 DVD's, as it can be split up that way.

Carmack:
PC: Higher res, more AA, but essentially the same game across all four platforms.
PS3 "There's a little bit more theoretical raw performance on the PS3, so we've got a little bit more headroom" <<(possibly one of the most positive PS3 quotes from a multiplatform dev I've ever heard)
360 "The 360 was easier to certainly get to where we are right now. More sweat equity had to be put into the PS3"

-Game will not be like Doom3 where you beat it and walk away. Designed so you can go back and get achievements, compete for best lap times, explore, etc after beating it.
-Release "when it's done" but "making good progress"
-How big will it be? "It's as big as it needs to be to be cool. Doom 3 was too long, you always want to give people a fun, focused experience"

Doom 3 was too long ????? :oops: It was of good length ! Basically, it means RAGE will be shorter but you can re-visit the levels again ! I prefer long games than replaying levels !

Everything else sounds fabulous ! I am ready to play :D !

Doom 3 only seemed waaaaaay too long because the game was rather bland and bleh.

Really looking forward to Rage though. Hopefully it's sorta post apocalytpic road warrior-ish.

Regards,
SB

I have to agree with Doom 3 significantly overstaying it's welcome. It was 1 hour worth of gameplay ideas (oh look, an imp materialized right in front of me! This means another 2 or 3 imps will be attacking me from behind in a second.) stretched over the course of a 15 hour long tech demo.

The part where you follow the little droid in complete darkness was fun and spectacular too. And the Hell levels or the Mars excavation site was different enough from the corridor crawling as well... but I agree that it had a bit too much of that, and of the teleporting monsters...

Surprisigly, I found DOOM 3 very enjoyable, even if it was old school in gameplay ! It was monotonous uptill the part where you reach "Alpha Labs"(I seriously don't remember what the name was :???:), the area where the colours changed to Brownish from the usual metal+Greenish. From then on, it was fun ! But, it looks like I am the only one who thinks this way here :( !

Anyways, that GI article says, the only difference in th e PC version is the increased AA and Resolution !

Does that mean the Console versions will have the same 16 X Anistropic Filtering and Higher res textures as the PC version :oops: ?!?!?!?

I thought the Mega Texturing means no-limits on the the layering of textures on an model, without any affect on the memory usage, creating a highly detailed look. Does it also mean Free AF and Higher res textures ? If yes, then it would be first of its kind as I don't see any game with AF this gen(at least, the ones I bought).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back