RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it was a behind closed door presentation with a certain 3d character artist that works for id. He showcased 2 different characters from Rage in zbrush and explained how well the megatexturing works.

They have presented some stuff at GDC, does anyone have a link to the presentation? Or is that actually only the blog entry linked by Arnold, and there is nothing more to see?

That fly looks super cool. And the detail and art direction in the bar exterior scene is mind blowing. If they can make the rest of the game look that good... man...

There should be some incredible looking scenes in the game in terms of lighting as well, the ability to have GI baked in full texture resolution must be nice for lighting artists.

The articles I have been reading about id Tech 6 have me much more excited than id Tech 5 (which looks excellent). Static voxelized worlds could be a draw back but uber high texture/"poly" counts and excellent lighting and shadows could work great with a large number of games.

Anything more static is a step back in my book, regardless of the benefits. If anything, we need far more motion and the possibility to affect the environment more than ever.

Good lord, those screens are impressive.
It's excites me to think that the console versions will be able to retain the detail in those screenshots. Even with the AA/AF downgrades, it should still look fairly similar.
Now the scary thing is that it is supposed to move at 60 frames, which would further improve IQ perception. I believe it's fair to say that Rage will be the best looking shooter on any platform when it releases.

I believe it's fair to say that Rage will be the best looking shooter on any platform when it releases.

Well, if you're an optimist. Certainly someone could make the argument today that from the two screenshots + videos Rage is looking impressive but since the game won't be out for at least 8 months and they're aiming at 60fps rather than top graphics I'd say there's bound to be another game that is better looking such as Crysis 2 or CoD:MW 2. That argument is a lot stronger for consoles games for obvious reasons but if id does not take the time to scale to high-end PC hardware that'll be available even late this year (DX11 cards, Octacores, etc.) it's plausible that another game could have better graphics by then.

Of course, I personally doubt a game could have such texture diversity and run at such high speeds as Rage unless it also uses some implementation of MegaTexture.

That's a fair point, but there will not be a single game released with comparable detail per square foot and that's a huge advantage.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion, especially from the material that we have seen so far. It looks great but from what i'm seeing there are other games available now that have a greater density of detail.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion, especially from the material that we have seen so far. It looks great but from what i'm seeing there are other games available now that have a greater density of detail.

Since I have been away from my PS3 for 6 months...I would have to ask the question...like which games for my curiosity's sake?

Since I have been away from my PS3 for 6 months...I would have to ask the question...like which games for my curiosity's sake?

I wouldn't know about the PS3, I was thinkig specifically about Crysis. Rage obviously looks great but if we are talking about the amount of detail crammed into a given space, Crysis would seem to be in a different league IMO. For that matter, so would Oblivion in the forested areas.

I wouldn't know about the PS3, I was thinkig specifically about Crysis. Rage obviously looks great but if we are talking about the amount of detail crammed into a given space, Crysis would seem to be in a different league IMO. For that matter, so would Oblivion in the forested areas.

Oh... now I know you were kidding. :p

Seriously, Oblivion has to have the lowest texture rez of all games released in 2006! I can only play the damn thing with a bunch of high-rez texture packs installed.

How about Crysis ? ;)

I think he meant about texture detail/art uniqueness due to Megatexture. Otherwise regarding object amount, geometry, effects etc etc I can think of a multitude of games ranging back to 2005.

Though this game is made to run at 60fps and I'll reserve myself a bit since all I've seen of this game is bullshots (downscaled) yadda yadda.. afraid to show the real deal eh ID!? :LOL:

Seriously, Oblivion has to have the lowest texture rez of all games released in 2006! I can only play the damn thing with a bunch of high-rez texture packs installed.

But atleast it got vegetation. I mean apart from Megatexture the landscape seem really empty so far put against a game like Oblivion and effects leave a lot to be desire looking at that car race bit. :p

Kinda like ID's "COD" but with megatexture although amazing art and uniqueness also seems rather low-res like Fallout3'ish... *don't hit me*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back