Leipzig Games Convention

Okay, something cool about the keypad: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/20/live-from-leipzig-north-american-hardware-announcements/

The entire keypad area is the touch pad.

The Wireless Keypad snaps onto the top of a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller and comes with some cool features, including a mode that turns the main key area into a touch pad (similar to a touch pad on a Laptop computer). Once in this mode, you can slide your finger on this area to move the cursor on the screen and tap to enter. There will be two short cut buttons on the Keypad that will enable users to jump directly to the XMB’s “Friends” icon and the “Message Box” during gameplay. The Wireless Keypad will launch in late November.

This is awesome and I look forward to this. I hate using a full size keyboard in my living room to get through messages, and the one for the 360 has proven to be a most valuable tool. I'm curious at home much it will weigh and what kind of effect that will have on the 6axis.

i hope it lights up like the 360 one. thats one of the best add ons for the 360 imo. I hate typing in codes without it.

engadget has a picture here http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/sony-intros-wireless-keypad-attachment-for-the-ps3/

Seriously, when did Eurogamer turn into Kotaku? Doesn't Eurogamer have a single press person who can speak German?

Thanks to gofreak@GAF, http://www.vidzone.tv/ is an existing Internet site. So we are getting an Internet app for the PS3. Does this mean it'll be available to US too (Since the Internet service is accessible from anywhere in the world now).

Seriously, when did Eurogamer turn into Kotaku? Doesn't Eurogamer have a single press person who can speak German?

Yes, I find that strange and somewhat frustrating too. We have undoubtly missed a part of the presentation. Localized events and personalities require natives to interpret. I think a good site would at least translate those contexts to us instead of making silly English remarks.

The clip-on keyboard would be nice if it weren't so damn ugly. Also I don't think the keys are backlit, which makes it pretty mush unusable for me. I use a front projector and the room needs to be pretty much dark while gaming.

The thing does look like a cheap third-party accessory, not actually something designed by Sony.
The old DualShock design is a bit too clunky looking already, without a tacked-on attachment.
The touchpad function is cool though.

The VidZone news is good, is it really free????
The new PSP redesign... should've been there already with Slim and Lite.

Most interesting was the Heavy Rain and Eye Pet, now if there only were some videos.. here's hoping PSN will update tomorrow with some vids from Leipzig.

Okay, something cool about the keypad: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/20/live-from-leipzig-north-american-hardware-announcements/

The entire keypad area is the touch pad.
I'm confused. The buttons are clearly raised. Do the buttons sit on top of the pressure mat, and you remove the top to access the bottom?

Also the whole design, with the addition of the new XMB buttons, smacks to me of a precursor to a new controller. There's a button for Friends I guess from the icon. And the finger-pointing hand probably means activate touch-pad, which suggests...you use it like a bumpy pad? :???: Certainly the added functionality looks to me like it should be integrated into a proper PS3 controller, with quick access to music, chat, etc. pushing the idea of a multimedia communications hub.

And as for using PS3 as a browser, not until they speed it up, get proper flash support, lose the annoyance, and sort out the blurriness! It renders below 1080p and looks rough on my 1680x1050 display.

Man, after seeing that Loco Roco 2 video I can't wait to get that into my hands!

There's a very strange fully 3d bit at the end, which is intruiging. Wonder if that's some kind of hint at a PS3 version, or if it's just for show.

Does the keybad go on top of the controller by the shoulder buttons ? I can't figure out how that thing clips on

I'm confused. The buttons are clearly raised. Do the buttons sit on top of the pressure mat, and you remove the top to access the bottom?

Also the whole design, with the addition of the new XMB buttons, smacks to me of a precursor to a new controller. There's a button for Friends I guess from the icon. And the finger-pointing hand probably means activate touch-pad, which suggests...you use it like a bumpy pad? :???: Certainly the added functionality looks to me like it should be integrated into a proper PS3 controller, with quick access to music, chat, etc. pushing the idea of a multimedia communications hub.

:LOL: I think that's it. You just slide your finger across the entire surface, keys included. As long as the touch mode is active, it will behave like a touch pad.

I thought it would be cleaner if they position this thing as a touch pad. i.e., The entire surface is smooth. Then they have a transparent decal over it to show the keys if you want to use it as a keyboard. Looks simpler too. But that's just me.

It shouldn't need a white table. The software can 'remove' the existing table surface to determine what's the table and not. As long as you start with a clear space, anything should work.

It looks like it clips on underneath the nearside of the pad as you hold it, notice the way it narrows & hooks round below the start/select/ps buttons.

edit

Here's a pic of it attached

I'm sorry but that looks pretty useless How can you type on that while your using the controller ?

xbox-360-qwerty.jpg

It should have gone by the fins like the 360 one. I can type on this while playing , the ps3 one just looks like it will be very akward while playing a game

They both look awkward to me. We should probably try out before commenting.

I am sure the Sony engineers considered various options before deciding on this one.

I you look though when you hold your controler your thumbs are by the fins . To reach over the controller your thumbs have to go all the way up over the shoulder buttons and to where these buttons are. It looks very akward to me.

They may not have had a choice. As I mentioned in the other thread there might have been patent design issues. Microsoft has a patent design on theirs. No telling there might be others. But I can tell you that even looking at a picture of it, I wouldn't be able to use it. I have the 360 one and it's keys are in perfect place for thumb typing. You would have to overly stretch fingers or adjust your grip to use the PS3 one. Definitely an F for ergonomics for me.

Tommy McClain

They both look awkward to me. We should probably try out before commenting.

I am sure the Sony engineers considered various options before deciding on this one.

Well there's awkward, and there's unusable, there's no way you can hold the controller normally and use that keypad. It looks like it would even impair normal trigger/shoulder access. Perhaps I'm missing something there however.

I think the kb controller interface is a good idea for a lot of games (and home I suppose), but I'm not sure that's the design to make it happen.

I don't game while I type. In the PS3 controller case, I'm guessing the user will have to use his index fingers to type (like Praying Mantis). I don't know which way is faster (My colleague prof typed like this :LOL:). Like I mentioned in the other thread, the PS3 controller handles may be too short/shallow to make it a lower attachment.

I am a full-sized keyboard guy. The controller is more interesting to me as a touch pad, more than a keyboard.

AlphaWolf said:
It looks like it would even impair normal trigger/shoulder access. Perhaps I'm missing something there however.

... hence, looks can be deceiving. The pad is above and away from the triggers.

Back