RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be bad, historically. Doom 3 was released 3 years after its first showing, toward the end of the XBox's life, with UE3 on the horizon; the engine garnered all of one non-id licensee.

That would be bad, historically. Doom 3 was released 3 years after its first showing, toward the end of the XBox's life, with UE3 on the horizon; the engine garnered all of one non-id licensee.
Didnt id tech 4's licensee failings have more to do with a difficult toolset and Epic's aggressive marketing of UE3.

This time around the situation is different, as is id's approach to the marketing of its engine. Rage is a multiplat engine running at 60 on the two HD consoles. It has large, open, sprawling environments, huge draw distances. And when it ships, Rage will be the best looking game on either console.

Didnt id tech 4's licensee failings have more to do with a difficult toolset and Epic's aggressive marketing of UE3.

This time around the situation is different, as is id's approach to the marketing of its engine. Rage is a multiplat engine running at 60 on the two HD consoles. It has large, open, sprawling environments, huge draw distances. And when it ships, Rage will be the best looking game on either console.

That's a bold claim, considering how little we've actually seen of the game so far. And even if Rage is the most advanced engine on PC and both HD consoles, they still have to contend with id's art direction.

That's a bold claim, considering how little we've actually seen of the game so far. And even if Rage is the most advanced engine on PC and both HD consoles, they still have to contend with id's art direction.

They'll have a tough time eclipsing KZ2, which has limited environments and only runs at 30 fps. And is built on a ground up for PS3, not MP.

It is a bold claim, but one I'll stick by. There will be a few first party games that give Rage a run for its money, but none of those games will be doing what id is doing with megatexturing.

You're comparing a FPS to a racing game?:???:

RAGE is an FPS as well. At least as far as I can tell. It certainly has driving elements but it seems to be primarily an FPS, like Crysis or Halo.

I hope this will be the best looking game on consoles (because that means Doom 4 on PC will be mind blowing). But I doubt it will be.

How about fundamental engine limitations & lack of modualrity? UE3 isn't perfect but as far as I'm aware it possesed more features then and has integrated a large number of new ones since. Add in the IPP initiative they've got.

In addition, UE3 was targeting shader model 3 and beyond, Tech 4 had its primary target at PS 1.4 and VS 1.1

Other than that, I do agree with what people have said on timing. With the Quake II and Quake III engines, they were there at the right time for licensees to really go after it. Tech 4 came about 3 years later than UE2 and couldn't target as many platforms, similarly Tech 5 is coming at a time where most developers have chosen a solution, 3rd party or in-house.

I hope this will be the best looking game on consoles (because that means Doom 4 on PC will be mind blowing). But I doubt it will be.

They could do a 'KZ2' and have clever artwork and design to enhance the visuals. Hence even with the game running at ~60fps and the HW limitations it could still challenge other 'top 5' looking console titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. If you listen carefully he says... "err... no, wont be out this year".

Also he is shaking his head which pretty much reinforces the body language.

The interviewer asks if the game is gonna be released in 2010, and Todd says no, it will be out this year (hence the head shaking).

It is a bold claim, but one I'll stick by. There will be a few first party games that give Rage a run for its money, but none of those games will be doing what id is doing with megatexturing.

That I can live with, that Rage might be the best-looking MP game. I just think that the fact that Rage is meant to be multiplatform and easy to work with means they'll have to make concessions at several points. Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 or Halo 3 or whatever Rare's next big release is don't have to make any concessions -- they can do whatever kludge they need to get the engine to do what they want, fully aware they don't have to ship that kludge out to licensees.

New screenshots here !

This is looking really good, the direction is great if ID can pull it off ! I mean its different from their usual stuff, you know !
140402_7.jpg.jpg

Very strange ! SOme of the concept art is of an industrialised affluent future and others of barren wastelands! What's ID planning ;) ?
ss_preview_140402_2.jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of them are not from Rage.

WHAT? Then why are they there:mad: ? I knew they looked too different from RAGE's style, but I thought that was a good thing !
So , what are they? some other IP from ID? if they are not from RAGE, why are they being put on RAGE's page:mad:

Those are concept art, not screenshots. Eurogamer put them in the Rage gallery because:

a) They were made by one the artists working on Rage (no longer with id though).
b) They don't know any better.

P.S. Those screens they list as added yesterday are simply screencaps of the trailer shown last year.

I know they are concept arts. 2 of them are from RAGE coz that was confirmed to me by Matt Castello, the writer for this game(also for Doom3).
It is just that I thought the story might be pretty deep to accomodate such different styles, and got excited about it. Well, I should have known better :rolleyes: !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back