RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ! Man the new RAGE trailer looks Awesome! Its just so beautiful and atmospheric! (one scene reminds me of Far cry2) Well, I had never thought characters would look so good in an ID game, I mean even the humans in Doom3 were weird looking(all one shader), but this is a complete surprise ! Its so beautiful! :smile:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36283.html?type=

I think its HUGE improvement over Tech4: Doom3 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
For being 60 fps it looks quite choppy to me, perhaps it's just the way it was captured/encoded, but it would be nice for them to release a properly encoded 60 hz direct feed video.

EDIT: Ok, on my PC is not choppy at all, dunno why on my mac is.

Last edited:
Gamersyde will likely do it if they put up a video. They've done proper 60fps videos in the past.

definatelly looking forward to this!
fro mwhat I understand, they can achieve such insane FPS' because they hardly have any alpha decals or multiple passes of textures apart from iffuse/normal/spec (ie no blends), sicne everything is prebaked.

it looks great but some of the character designs bother me. the lara croft-chested girl in the bar especially, she looks over-animated. anyways, thing's not finished so I'll wait before juging it.

up to and including the girl this game looks and feels alot like a nextgen Jak should (minus pointy ears and colored hair). The rest seems from another game (and more inline with the onedimensional creativity of id).
Gonna see how this is turning out.

It should look just like it does in the movie...

Its possible but far from definate. Id would likely want to show the best looking version of the game for promotional purposes and since its being developed simultaneously on the PC there's a good chance they would show that version.

Yes the lead platform is the 360 but that doesn't necessarily mean the PC version wouldn't be in a state to show. No doubt its sporting some graphical enhancements even if they are only texture and resolution/AA related. Certainly the graphics in the video looked to be extremely smooth.

The entire point of megatexture is that PCs shouldn't enjoy any advantages because of having more video RAM; and any fillrate stuff is compensated by the 720p resolution of the consoles. It should look completely similar on all systems.

Yep, everything we heard about Rage is that the assets are shared between all platforms. Now I'm sure there may be slight differences, especially with using a lot more compressed audio on the consoles to save RAM, but right now the word is the game will look the same between both consoles and PC/Mac.

Assets shared doesn't mean that each platform loads exactly the same data, as each platform can require different data layout and/or encoding.

The entire point of megatexture is that PCs shouldn't enjoy any advantages because of having more video RAM; and any fillrate stuff is compensated by the 720p resolution of the consoles. It should look completely similar on all systems.

I see your point, but we've heard claims that PC and console versions of games will be identical before, in fact we have heard them from Id in the form of Doom 3 and look how that turned out!

Its tough to tell without a HD version of the vid but those graphics looked a bit too smooth for the regular 720p/2xAA of consoles.

Assets shared doesn't mean that each platform loads exactly the same data, as each platform can require different data layout and/or encoding.

In this case, it does. If you watch last year's tech demonstrations of the editor you'll routinely hear the id guys say how they're working on the terrain or whatever, change something and if you have a console running the game somewhere in the room it will get the updated information immediately. So there's no asset conversion, for the megatextures at least.

Also, in one of the Rage articles from last year it showed the game running on all four platforms side-by-side. I don't have the URL anymore but I saved the screens and I do remember the journalist saying there were no visible differences.

In this case, it does. If you watch last year's tech demonstrations of the editor you'll routinely hear the id guys say how they're working on the terrain or whatever, change something and if you have a console running the game somewhere in the room it will get the updated information immediately. So there's no asset conversion, for the megatextures at least.

Also, in one of the Rage articles from last year it showed the game running on all four platforms side-by-side. I don't have the URL anymore but I saved the screens and I do remember the journalist saying there were no visible differences.
I fail to see how from these details you have determined that there's no assets conversion.
Just because it's fast or it looks the same (from a video..) it doesn't mean is not there.
For example PC, 360 and PS3 don't share the same endianess..

Here is E3-2008 interviews about the commits in a database is reflected at runtime to the gaming machine. An (fully?) automated build system is shared between PC, X360 and PS3. Mac is currently a manual step but probably due to a "lazyness" of buildscript admins.
http://kotaku.com/5025229/carmack-talks-from-idea-to-mac-gaming-and-ps3-programming

We wanted (Rage driving(?) game, idtech5 engine) 60fps and super-precise response. While next Doom game (same idtech5 engine) is 30fps game. Even though we develop on a common platform, it will look radically better because we have three times more force (due to lower fps)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back