Leipzig Games Convention

Well there's awkward, and there's unusable, there's no way you can hold the controller normally and use that keypad. It looks like it would even impair normal trigger/shoulder access. Perhaps I'm missing something there however.

I think the kb controller interface is a good idea for a lot of games (and home I suppose), but I'm not sure that's the design to make it happen.

its raised above the the controller so it shouldn't mess up the shoulders

I don't game while I type. In the PS3 controller case, I'm guessing the user will have to use his index fingers to type (like Praying Mantis). I don't know which way is faster (My colleague prof typed like this :LOL:). Like I mentioned in the other thread, the PS3 controller handles may be too short/shallow to make it a lower attachment.

I am a full-sized keyboard guy. The controller is more interesting to me as a touch pad, more than a keyboard.

Depending on the size of the device and your fingers, it might be more convenient to simply shift your grip and thumb-type. Not sure how comfortable it'd be for extended usage. But then I'm trying to envision using the 360's pad, and I think I'd have to shift my grip slightly or I wouldn't reach the lowest row of keys.

Actually it might be possible to just roll the controller back in your hands (pivot on middle finger) and use the ps3 keypad without completely shifting grip position. So maybe it could work, not while actually gaming but at least without changing grip on the entire unit.

Depending on the size of the device and your fingers, it might be more convenient to simply shift your grip and thumb-type. Not sure how comfortable it'd be for extended usage. But then I'm trying to envision using the 360's pad, and I think I'd have to shift my grip slightly or I wouldn't reach the lowest row of keys.

Yeah, in the PS3 case... you most likely have to shift to a different hold or even set it down. But if index finger typing is faster then so be it.

If someone wants to use this to chat in Playstation Home, I think he'd be better off with a full sized keyboard (or suffer thumb/index finger cramp after hours of chatting). However if PS Home or the virtual keyboard uses SIXAXIS or touch pad gestures to implement emotes and pre-canned messages, then it may be a different animal altogether.

Essentially different platforms will try to maximize their advantage beyond the raw hardware.

Actually it might be possible to just roll the controller back in your hands (pivot on middle finger) and use the ps3 keypad without completely shifting grip position. So maybe it could work, not while actually gaming but at least without changing grip on the entire unit.

That sounds like being an Olympic gymnast. LOL ;) Sorry, but I'm lazy. That's way too much exercise for me. Yall will just have fun without me. ;)

Tommy McClain

Holding the controller in one hand with the usual grip and then using the free hand to type would be easy, allowing you to use multiple fingers and even touchtype with practice. No matter the solution (including microsofts one) you would not be able to continue playing as normal anyhow so moving one hand from the controller would be reasonable. you could still also move around and use other possible features like character gestures using the holding hand if the controls were mapped to allow it.

I dont know if anyone here is aware but the keypad is also fully functional when seperated from the controller and so can be used in many other ways. One idea i had was for an arm strap/mount so you could mount it to your forearm predator style! You would look like an idiot though im sure :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if anyone here is aware but the keypad is also fully functional when seperated from the controller and so can be used in many other ways. One idea i had was for an arm strap/mount so you could mount it to your forearm predator style! You would look like an idiot though im sure :D

Heh, yeah I don't think people will use it that way. IMHO, it's better to pick a common way (e.g., set it down) and make it extremely easy, comfortable and quick to type. Then focus on the touch pad.

I noticed Japan, South America and Europe user messages in RFOM. I don't know how the virtual keyboard and keypad handles it. Would be nice if the peripheral can be used by them as well (e.g., gesture input ?).

I think most people will just choke up on the controller to type with their thumbs. It's what the kids are all doing on their blackberries and what not these days. I'm amazed at how fast my youngest sister is with hers. Honestly, it's not a huge movement from the normal grip on a Dual Shock so I doubt it will be much impediment.

I can't tell for sure if it's within reasonable reach. It could be a stretch for smaller players.

In any case, if the peripheral has bad ergonomics, Sony will sell fewer attachments (or sell slower), and leave a bad impression with its customers at the same time. Someone like Logitech would walk away with their money.

It certainly impedes my button access. I sometimes use my right index finger curled over the top of the controller to activate the triangle button! I also have my fingers high up on the L1/R1 buttons, such that I'm sure they'd be rubbing the underside.

But then again this thing isn't designed for gaming with. It's an internet attachment. If you're playing games, you'd take it off. There's no way anyone's gonna be swinging their Warhawk plane around with one of these dangling off the front!

It certainly impedes my button access. I sometimes use my right index finger curled over the top of the controller to activate the triangle button! I also have my fingers high up on the L1/R1 buttons, such that I'm sure they'd be rubbing the underside.

But then again this thing isn't designed for gaming with. It's an internet attachment. If you're playing games, you'd take it off. There's no way anyone's gonna be swinging their Warhawk plane around with one of these dangling off the front!

Surely those points depend on if there's a cutaway underneath the keypad (which we can't see from the photos), and how much it weighs and how rigidly it's attached (which we can't tell from photos)?

I'm reserving judgement until I've held it in my hands and I know the price.

Please go to the 1st page on the thread to see my GC media collection and to watch the Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Press Conference

I think the prototype "Baton" PS3 controller would have lended itself much better to a keyboard attachment than the DualShock design.
At least if the kb would have attached between the handles as in xb360.

Man, after seeing that Loco Roco 2 video I can't wait to get that into my hands!

There's a very strange fully 3d bit at the end, which is intruiging. Wonder if that's some kind of hint at a PS3 version, or if it's just for show.
A hint at a PS3 version? It seems totally out of place if anything other than a hint. Why show a prerendered 3D thing on the end if it's a meaningless representation of what the game might look like in 3D? For PSP, the 2D world is perfect. It did look nice and interesting. Whether it'd work or not, I don't know. PS3 could certainly benefit from LocoRoco as another Happy Fun game to grow the idea of it being a cheerful console.

In my basement renegade its still in its pre-aplha stage so i cant show you it but if you sign a NDA then we can talk. :LOL:

Well, atleast show me a pre rendered teaser:cool: !

looks like we'll have to wait more.In anycase, I'll be too overwhelmed by LBP,R2,KZ2.
I mean there's literally no time b/n LBP release and R2. I'll have only half enjoyed LBP, when R2 will come and rip away mytime, and I would still be a average guy in R2 MP, when KZ2 will come and rip away R2. Add to that I just bought R&C:TOD when i haven't finished my second playhthrough of MGS4 ! Man, I am already overgamed and people say there are no games on the PS3 :LOL: !!!!
That brings to my notice my PC collection dying for my attention!Damn:oops:!

Well, atleast show me a pre rendered teaser
How about this, below

drakesc5_2.jpg

Only joking. Thats from Uncharted 1 :LOL:

Serious I agree over the next 6 months how do you make the time to play all these great upcoming titles but thats why we love it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please dont forget guys I am still updating the 1st page Thread with new videos and updates from the GC

How about this, below

drakesc5_2.jpg

Only joking. Thats from Uncharted 1 :LOL:

Serious I agree over the next 6 months how do you make the time to play all these great upcoming titles but thats why we love it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please dont forget guys I am still updating the 1st page Thread with new videos and updates from the GC

I will need to break up with my gf for a period of 6 months to play all the 360 / ps3 games i want to play. I hope she takes me back.... if not even more time to play games !

Back