Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not realize Lockhart was being rumored to feature no optical drive.

I guess this will create some additional legitimate BOM separation, unbeknownst to my former posts, but still wont be enough imo. But could also further a stigma as a crippled console

Low priority.

As @Silent_Buddha said, you can't make your tentpole crowding pledge being simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and then when get you acquired by the world's biggest software company downgrade non-Microsoft platforms to "low priority". It looks bad.

It's not really free money as you have maintenance costs with supporting those platforms.
Fair enough, but this is not something they're unused too. WL2 and WL2DC were also Unity games with support parity across the same platforms.

What's the confidence level here that lockhart exists, do we have at least indications the SoC was actually made, or some SoC code names from apisak, komachi, ro_game, etc... ?

It definitely exists it's just not clear what it actually is. It may not be a traditional console but I keep being reminded of Jason Schreier's coverage in December having talked to devs who were addressing the policy of future Xbox games having to support the Lockhart specification.

Mr Schreier is not your typical post-what-you-hear journalist, he has a solid reputation as an investigative journalist (now at Bloomberg) so is used to applying that fabled journalist integrity and the list art of confirming/cross-checking sources. If you take it as read that Mr Schreier did this, what the hell is Lockhart if not a console and even if it's not a console.

It's really two issues, 1) will Lockhart change the launch console dynamic and 2) is Lockhart bad for nextgen as some devs have voiced if Microsoft mandate that policy of Xbox games having to support the Lockhart specification. I mean does it not being a console or not even matter with regard to point 2? :-|

It definitely exists it's just not clear what it actually is. It may not be a traditional console but I keep being reminded of Jason Schreier's coverage in December having talked to devs who were addressing the policy of future Xbox games having to support the Lockhart specification.

Mr Schreier is not your typical post-what-you-hear journalist, he has a solid reputation as an investigative journalist (now at Bloomberg) so is used to applying that fabled journalist integrity and the list art of confirming/cross-checking sources. If you take it as read that Mr Schreier did this, what the hell is Lockhart if not a console and even if it's not a console.

It's really two issues, 1) will Lockhart change the launch console dynamic and 2) is Lockhart bad for nextgen as some devs have voiced if Microsoft mandate that policy of Xbox games having to support the Lockhart specification. I mean does it not being a console or not even matter with regard to point 2? :-|
If it's a chip for cloud gaming it could make sense. But if it's really a 4TF home console while MS is currently busy convincing the world how much nothing is more important than teraflops... well... it becomes more of a marketing issue. If it's a cloud chip, nobody have to know about it's specs, since nobody is really buying it.

As @Silent_Buddha said, you can't make your tentpole crowding pledge being simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and then when get you acquired by the world's biggest software company downgrade non-Microsoft platforms to "low priority". It looks bad.
We talking about the beta that was released to us? Or the final release here? (Moved to Aug 28 as of the last backer email)
Final release is still on schedule for all platforms. They only released beta keys for Windows. It was noted:
Super Backer
Wasteland 3 Digital Copy + Early Access (PC Only)

Pre-orders not available for Mac and Linux, but I don't think that means it won't be there on release day. Their Fig page is the their main update page for their game and it's still reporting Mac and Linux support for Aug 28

Last edited:
We talking about the beta that was released to us? Or the final release here? (Moved to Aug 28 as of the last backer email)
Final release is still on schedule for all platforms. They only released beta keys for Windows. It was noted:
Super Backer
Wasteland 3 Digital Copy + Early Access (PC Only)

Pre-orders not available for Mac and Linux, but I don't think that means it won't be there on release day. Their Fig page is the their main update page for their game and it's still reporting Mac and Linux support for Aug 28

Yeah, the BETA was always going to be PC first. I've already got my key.

Regards,
SB

Amazing how they can keep this secret for so long, not one single solid source about what it can be, if anything.
To be fair, the leaks about Lockhart and Anaconda came around the same time.
I think.
We didn't know too much about Anaconda until MS did the reveals, the only leak was the pic of the xsx besides the pube.
So MS has done a pretty good job with leaks this time.
So not knowing much about Lockhart doesn't really mean much, especially as their whole focus is xsx as the hero device, and that also makes sense.

Amazing how they can keep this secret for so long, not one single solid source about what it can be, if anything.
The thing that helps mitigate leaks is that devkit is supposed to be the same, just a different performance profile, and if they have been planning to launch it later initially, there's a certain logic to it being unconfirmed still.

Smallest Lockhart that I can think of that has UHD drive.
mxVMO7S.jpg

Rear drawing is reversed left-to-right, @Proelite :p

I do wonder if the console will end up around 100W consumption. (random)

Might be tough to cram everything on the mobo into the area of a disc drive though.

Looking at my Xbox One, I reckon its volume is about the same as a shoe-box. Probably a bit more for the XB1. Shoe box size certainly isn't petite.

Right. I was envisaging something as petite as the PS2 Slim, or even the original polycarbonate Mac Mini.

they say it is going to surprise people at how small Lockhart is

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/...surprisingly_small_in_volume_suggests_insider

Shoe box size can be so many things. I wear a 13 4x wide and its a really big box lol prob as big as the xbox one original and taller.

However here is the thing. If we assume it uses the same cpu at the same clocks for compatability that is what a 15-30watt power need ? If you take a 4tflop rdna 2 how much more can that require ? If we are looking at sub 100watt system with no optical drive we could have something intel nuc size or smaller

https://icdn4.digitaltrends.com/image/inside-intel-nuc_9-720x720.jpg

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-intel-put-together-hades-canyon-its-best-nuc-yet/

The optical drive would only be used for installing or playing a movie, so it's somewhat immaterial to usage under a game load.

The optical drive would only be used for installing or playing a movie, so it's somewhat immaterial to usage under a game load.
yes , but in terms of size you limited how small you can make the device. removing the optical drive and using that space for cooling allows for quite a small system foot print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back