How to sell a next-gen console - price point and marketing *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by steveOrino, Jul 11, 2018.

1. steveOrino

Regular

It would seem TF is the new "Bits" from the 90s :lol2:

egoless likes this.
  2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

ehh ;)
    I wouldn't say TF are entirely marketing gimmicky like bits were. At least TF is a measure of calculation power.
    TF is probably closer to the MHz run

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Were bits ever a marketing gimmick? Anybody who thinks so should try to write an Elite clone using nothing more than 8-bit registers. Hell, try Tetris. When the biggest number you can manage in a cycle is 255 integer it makes you think about every number you need to manipulate and store. :yep2:

iroboto and dobwal like this.
  4. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

There was the infamous Atari marketing of the Jaguar as a 64-bit machine.

DSoup likes this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh

Of course, there is marketing, then there is bullshit. :yes:

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yes. We had the 16 bit Megadrive with 16 bits plastered across the top.

The "world's first 32 bit console".

And the 64 bit Jaguar where "Doing the Math" made it twice as good as the rivals.

Shortbread likes this.
  7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

lol

8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

At a certain points, bits, like TF, having more really made a difference.

Just like MHz, there came a certain point in time where it lost its value and usually that’s where I would call it a marketing gimmick.

9. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Im not seeing that happen, just 3TF more and the base model being targetted mostly, it wont be enough of a difference.

I think it looks amazing, more so then Sony AAA exclusives, linear games dont give me the same impression.

So will many other games releasing after 2020/21.

Worked around by limiting FPS to 30 or even dips below that?

10. steveOrino

Regular

I was coming from more of a sensibility standpoint. Is average consumer going to notice a difference (let alone, care) between 10TF and 12TF? Looking from a purely historical perspective, probably not. Both are going to run the same games with minor differences, if any. Atari Jaguar games didn't look all that much better than Snes and Genesis games for example. Other outliers that kinda came between generations like the N64 and Dreamcast didn't set the world on fire despite having superior graphics capability to the older competition. Hardware has traditionally always been a distant partner to the software running on the system and a vast majority of consumers (and all software publishers) view the hardware as barriers to entry in order to play those games. That's why I feel TF, Bits, _HZ, etc just doesn't matter in the end because publishers want as many people to buy their software as possible and end users just want to pay enough to access that software.

11. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

The average consumer gets the leftovers from what the hardcore demand. Do you think the average consumer cared about MS’s DRM policies, the power gap, or forced bundled Kinect? It was the enthusiasts that raised a stink and caused the reactions we saw.

AzBat, milk and egoless like this.
  12. phoenix_chipset

Regular Newcomer

Bit wars mattered up to the 32 bit era. The n64 may have been a lot stronger than Saturn/PlayStation but it wasn't because of 64 bits.

It's funny that Xbox had a 32 bit cpu :p

milk likes this.
  13. dobwal

Veteran

Last time there was a $399 vs $599 gap between competing consoles, the manufacturer of the premium priced console lost billions to create price parity.

And a bunch of marketing was thrown our way telling us how 25-50 GB discs would allow for things a 7 GB disc couldn’t. Even Kojima and MGS got involved.

#13 dobwal, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Gubbi and egoless like this.
  14. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Er, some of the most amazing looking AAA Sony exclusives are in face open world games (Horizon ZD, In famous SS, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, hell even Days Gone looks nuts)
    And MS would do it if not simply for the bragging marketing right of having the most powerful console moniker, Phil is pretty well set on that direction. Sony might surprise us too but most likely will focus on other things tho.

15. DSoup

DSoup meh

I took "marketing gimmick" to mean marketing was overselling the actual technical benefits. Otherwise, it's less a 'gimmick' and just marketing. :yep2:

16. goonergaz

Veteran

Was going to say this, I mean, Anthem looks great but not significantly better than your examples which are on significantly less powerful hardware.

17. borntosoul

Newcomer

Little Johnny asks Mum,

“hey Mum can you buy me the new playstation 5 for Xmas?”
    “Don’t you already own a PlayStation? Which is still only a few years old” Replies Mum.
    “Yes but this is the updated one, see the pics, new graphics”. He pleads.
    Mum looks at the pics and says “l can’t tell the difference, what else does it do?”
    “Ummmmmmmmm.......” was Johnny’s stumped reply.

Edit....This one is for shifty

#17 borntosoul, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  18. borntosoul

Newcomer

This is why marketing is so important, you want someone to buy something you gotta justify the price you’re asking..
    Sales 101.

Edit auto spelling

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I think that' s an irrelevant narrative. Firstly, if the consoles don't look any different, they won't sell. Duh. So obviously they'll look better. If the console companies can't make a console that's better enough, they'll just wait.

Secondly, it's the next iteration and so better. People are used to that, very much so in the console space and regards their phones etc. iPhone 6 was marginally better than iPhone 5 than iPhone 4 than iPhone 3. Did the same things. Didn't stop them selling because people thought they were already covered with their existing phone.

Third, Mum doesn't care what the pictures look like, probably never could tell the difference between generations anyway, doesn't care what else it can do (MS tried to get "Mums" involved with XB1 by marketing it on its non-gaming promises of TV and fitness, to zero success), and will buy Johnny's presents based on what he's asked for rather than an objective consideration of the functional value of the gift - hence so much pointless crap is sold to kids despite not doing anything. Marketing in that regard is about convincing Johnny that he wants the thing, and then Johnny goes on to convince his folks to buy it.

Fourth, I don't understand what argument this is in relation to. :???:

milk, Xbat and vipa899 like this.
  20. borntosoul

Newcomer

Shifty it was more tongue and cheek.....
    Your points taken on the phones but that’s a different market, - which is marketed differently.