Sony PS6, Microsoft neXt Series - 10th gen console speculation [2020]

Hopefully technologies like DLSS3 frame generation (FG) matures and further research is made on decoupling viewport manipulation from game render (async reprojection). This would allow games to always output consistent vsynced 120fps or what ever locked fps for consistent image persistence and would enable the possibility to use display technologies like black frame insertion (BFI) or other strobing mechanisms reliably without crosstalk on any game. Even if underlying render loop only runs for example 45fps (without FG), async reprojection would make the input feel like 120fps.

Lots of unanswered questions and research to be done but my main point is next generation is more about innovation on various aspects in the full software stack than raw hardware breakthroughs.
would enable the possibility to use display technologies like black frame insertion (BFI) or other strobing mechanisms reliably without crosstalk on any game.

That's deeply wrong, the reason you get crosstalk and unusable below 90hz is because the display is updated line by line and the backlight is not. Because they fail to deliver on that for last ten years at least.

Plus this is hardly decoupled in the traditional sense (that's texel shading).

Wouldn't have thought it would matter much, if Intel are serious about being a fab for everyone.

More interesting to me is if Intel are in a position to shop around a console SoC in the next few years. Mostly this is due to XeSS and dedicated ML / ray tracing being interesting features vs knowing nothing about how RDNA will evolve.

Not really sure it's a worthwhile business venture for Intel, before you get into risks.
I was thinking sensitivity on AMD's side more than Intel's side. I'm sure Intel wouldn't care, though the scale required would be pretty demanding.

As for an Intel SoC, that could definitely be interesting, but they really need to get their GPU's in better shape before I'd even think of them being a realistic option. Alchemist was an ok start, but the performance per mm² is actually kinda dreadful, and that matters a whole lot for a console.

Back