PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

Why are people so eager to tag uncharted as a failure when the game isn't out that long ? That was something I was thinking today when I saw the calendar.

This thread is premature IMO. We should wait for the December data before declaring these 3 games dead on arrival.

None of them are DOA. I think a lot of people were expecting these games to be huge system sellers, which they don't seem to be. They are doing well enough and will probably end up with a good number of sales.

Entered at number two, and rose, could indicate good word of mouth recommendations. (or that sales remained steady and CoD4 dropped)

http://www.elspa.com/?c=/charts/uk.jsp&ct=40

IMO, sales roses because they actually started doing... what do they call that thing... oh yeah, ADVERTISING! :D Maybe its just me and my viewing habits, but I didn't see Uncharted TV ads until well after the release. They did a little better with Ratchet. Dropped the ball on Heavenly Sword and Warhawk (type of ads and date after release). I don't know what happened to their marketing department (SCEA's). They seemed to really have it together for the PS2, and only now do they seem to be making any serious effort for the PS3. Just my observation. Could be that they were waiting for the price drop. But it would seem to me you would want to build as much demand as possible with "exciting products" before a price drop.

This thread is premature IMO. We should wait for the December data before declaring these 3 games dead on arrival.

Come on they might not DOA but they are on lifesupport. These were 3 huge budgeted AAA games. There is no way to spin it R&C is well under 200k in 2 months. UC did just over 100k in a holiday month with a price drop/new model. Sony really needs to figure out how come they can not move software like MS does.

I know VGC is known for some accuracy problems. And they don't have complete source for every single game sales.

From what I've heard VGCharts' "sources" are several shops that they call up for their numbers, and then they extrapolate from them. Obviously their sample is far too small, hence the large variance.

COD4 for example has sold out at many places, which would limit sales in those areas, compared to shops with plenty of units. This could easily explain the large error in the first VGChartz "reports"; but now they can go back and adjust everything.
Also, if they would've been accurate with their reports then noone would've been so surprised at the NPD results...

Come on they might not DOA but they are on lifesupport. These were 3 huge budgeted AAA games. There is no way to spin it R&C is well under 200k in 2 months. UC did just over 100k in a holiday month with a price drop/new model. Sony really needs to figure out how come they can not move software like MS does.

Wait, what? Uncharted was released over halfway through November. How could its sales of 400k units after one month on the market, trending upwards, be seen as anything other than a resounding success (especially given the PS3 install base).

Wait, what? Uncharted was released over halfway through November. How could its sales of 400k units after one month on the market, trending upwards, be seen as anything other than a resounding success (especially given the PS3 install base).

400k would be decent sales, if they were real numbers. The game was released later in Europe but has sold more there than it has in the US? Seems unlikely to me.

But.. but, remember according to the OP, nobody is buying it... oops!

400k would be decent sales, if they were real numbers. The game was released later in Europe but has sold more there than it has in the US? Seems unlikely to me.

I forgot those were vga numbers. The US sales were a lot lower than they should have been in a holiday month. Hopefully the "rest of world" numbers are much better.

Yes, but did anyone really expect CoD4 to stay at #1 months after release? Especially given that Uncharted was out?

If CoD4 stayed on top of UDF over Xmas I'd definitely be a sad panda, given it's a top notch original exclusive title, compared to the third sequel of a highly-branded FPS series. However, I don't think it's safe to say UDF is suddenly any more of a system mover than CoD because of this ranking, especially without comparative LTD and LTD Since Release sales. You may have a point if this game retains the stop for the next few weeks however.

Remember, the point of this thread is, why are PS3 gamers pointing towards (good) multi-platform games rather than the top-notch exclusives. It's highly likely CoD4 and AC perform LTD better on the system, even in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but did anyone really expect CoD4 to stay at #1 months after release? Especially given that Uncharted was out?

If CoD4 stayed on top of UDF over Xmas I'd definitely be a sad panda, given it's a top notch original exclusive title, compared to the third sequel of a highly-branded FPS series. However, I don't think it's safe to say UDF is suddenly any more of a system mover than CoD because of this ranking, especially without comparative LTD and LTD Since Release sales. You may have a point if this game retains the stop for the next few weeks however.

Remember, the point of this thread is, why are PS3 gamers pointing towards (good) multi-platform games rather than the top-notch exclusives. It's highly likely CoD4 and AC perform LTD better on the system, even in the UK.

I'm NQS what all your UDFs & LTDs AA?

* NQS (Not Quite Sure), AA (Actually Are)

i purchased all three within a week of their release. i finished R&C and Heavenly Sword; both are great games. i plan to start Uncharted this week.

I purchased Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, still planning to buy Ratchet. Also got CoD4, but didnt bought AC after the initial reports of the game breaking bugs the game had.

Back