PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Once they get a slimline drive, we could get a Superslim PS3. A PS3 similar to PSTwo would be extremely cool.

They're probably not bothering to shrink the optical drive because they've got to fit in that relatively big heatpipe cooler and PSU as well. If the major ICs dissipated much less power then another shrink of the casing might happen, but the pictures reveal the unit is still rated at 1A @ 240V, which is pretty major...

It probably doesn't actually draw nearly this much, but I assume they're aiming on the side of caution here and want some safety margin, that makes me think they'd want a similar margin for another, smaller-yet product. :)

Power consumption reductions:

Model name: CECH-2000A CECH-2100A
XMB Menu (Still wallpapers) 76W 67W
XMB Menu (Main Theme) 83-86W 71W
FFXIII game event scene 96-107W 78-83W
FFXIII game menu 83-84W 74W
BD playback 88-91W 77-78W
Power Off (Stand-by) 9W 9W

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3s-gpu-is-now-45nm-results-in-reduced-power-consumption-3687/

Hm that copy and paste didn't work too well. But it's about another 15% off the previous slim model, or 60% lower than the original 60gb PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power consumption reductions:

Model name: CECH-2000A CECH-2100A
XMB Menu (Still wallpapers) 76W 67W
XMB Menu (Main Theme) 83-86W 71W
FFXIII game event scene 96-107W 78-83W
FFXIII game menu 83-84W 74W
BD playback 88-91W 77-78W
Power Off (Stand-by) 9W 9W

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3s-gpu-is-now-45nm-results-in-reduced-power-consumption-3687/

Hm that copy and paste didn't work too well. But it's about another 15% off the previous slim model, or 60% lower than the original 60gb PS3.

Yeah. I've got an original 320 (60) gig model, but it's tempting to pick up a 750 gig drive and this new model PS3 and just run cool.

Hm that copy and paste didn't work too well.
For tables like that I recommend pasting them into Notepad, formatting all those spaces, and then copying over to B3D in
Code:
 tags.

[code]XMB Menu (Still wallpapers)            76W                 67W
XMB Menu (Main Theme)               83-86W                 71W
FFXIII game event scene            96-107W              78-83W
FFXIII game menu                    83-84W                 74W
BD playback                         88-91W              77-78W
Power Off (Stand-by)                    9W                  9W

Weird it draws 9W in standby, that's amazingly high for doing nothing. Didn't the launch units draw a quite svelte 2W in standby mode?

Makes me think the 9W is with remote play/wake-on-LAN activated or somesuch...

Also, can the PS3 Slim units eat a 12.x mm high 2.5" drive (3 platters), or will they only take the 9.x mm units (2 platters)?

Weird it draws 9W in standby, that's amazingly high for doing nothing. Didn't the launch units draw a quite svelte 2W in standby mode?

Makes me think the 9W is with remote play/wake-on-LAN activated or somesuch...

Also, can the PS3 Slim units eat a 12.x mm high 2.5" drive (3 platters), or will they only take the 9.x mm units (2 platters)?

Yup, they made an edit: "Power Off (Remote Play Stand-by)"

There may have been an update that made very large HDDs stop working. I remember some guy on engadget or joystiq complaining vociferously about how his external HDD'd 500 or 750GB stopped working.

I'm running a 500GB internal and a 500GB external without any hiccups. Though the access times for the external are hideously slow, much slower than whens its connected to a PC.

Back