Effects of next gen consoles on you to buy a new HDTV?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I wonder if people here are going to buy a new HDTV to use with the PS4, Xbox One (and WiiU maybe too). The upcoming launch of these new consoles sure made me think more than once about my search for a new TV. In fact I decided to buy a new TV.

The new consoles will be minimum 1080p. I think this is going to spur sales of new TVs because many of us still have a HD Ready TV -normally LCD-, but not a Full HD one. Besides that, I want a LED HDTV, it is a technology that I fancy more than anything else I've seen so far regarding TVs.

Additionally, it has been 6 years since I purchased my Samsung HDTV, a 22" LCD TV which still does fine when playing a game on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, but it is going to become obsolete and primitive for full HD gaming when the PS4 and Xbox One are launched. Besides that, I've been very patient with it, as I didn't feel the need to buy a new TV all these years.

Perhaps some of you will wait and see what kind of deals spring up before you buy a new TV. I have decided which model I want already. I considered another Samsung, Philips, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio and so on and so forth.

And... in the end I have decided to go with Philips. The factors influencing my decision are simple but important details. I wanted a Philips mainly because their technology and quality is always top notch, and my father was also a very big fan of the brand. I remember having always Philips TVs at home when I was a child. :smile2:

Aside from that, the LED technology is such a big plus for me that LCD and plasma have been taken off my potential list.

My size range is around the 22" - 32". I can only place it on the study desk in my room and there isn't much spare space. I decided to buy a 32" HDTV and I am cool with that -I had also considered a 22" Samsung LED TV with Smart TV and all that jazz but I preferred this one even if the price is slightly higher-.

Other than that, my price range is quite limited. I didn't want to spend more than 500€ and I even considered buying a 22" model with most of the features typical of larger models -something I could only find in a Samsung- with was a good budget TV for 250 - 280€, but I decided to spend some more money and get another TV from a brand I wanted to try.

I have made my decision and this is going to be my first Philips TV ever --by my first Philips I mean one I purchase personally-.

The model is the Philips 32PFL4258H LED TV. I have searched for something I would certainly fancy considerably more than originally expected, but it was worth the effort of comparing prices and studying the technology behind these TVs, at least to the extent I could understand.

Technology-wise, really can't be a big enough difference in quality to make me wait another year, I think this is a great time to buy a LED HDTV, as they are relatively expensive now but not as expensive as they used to be.

This HDTV costs here around 400€-450€ and it has some essential features that decided my purchase aside from being a Philips and other minor considerations:

- Okay sound. My current 22" HDTV does have 3W speakers. :/

- Miracast support.

- DLNA support.

- Perfect Motion Rate.

- Smart TV.

- Built-in Wi-Fi.

- LED technology

- HDMI 1.4 support

- etc etc etc

This means, among other things, that it can communicate pretty easily with a future console. Another big plus for me is that I can watch the TV by using my internet connection (I wasn't able to watch the TV in my room 'cos I don't have an aerial input in my room) and minor things like updating the firmware via internet too.

Here is a link to the model of the TV I am talking about (note that the price in the UK seems to be superior than in continental Europe, dunno why):

http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/184043/philips-32pfl4258h

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisi...BF91685F4B32D847.app102-drp2?t=specifications

Question is, are you going to wait to buy a new TV to use with the new consoles? Do you think the new generation of consoles is going to be the start of a crazy frenzy of people buying new TVs? :smile2:

Finally, Perfect Motion Rate is another selling point for me. ;) You can see the difference here -comparing a Philips LED HDTV with a LCD TV- in motion:

Last edited by a moderator:
The new consoles will be minimum 1080p.
I think you'll find thats a Maximum of 1080p

ps: ive heard that for games frame interpolation (aka perfect motion rate) should be off
You need to check this see if I'm right

Aside from that, the LED technology is such a big plus for me that LCD and plasma have been taken off my potential list.

You do realize that LED TV is still LCD TV only with LED backlight.
And HDMI 1.4, I highly doubt is present on model you posted link for.

edit:

I'm keeping my eye on new TV's just in case my current one get broken and I'm quite displeased with offering, lot of PR fluff, Smart TV everywhere, Sony pushing again xvYCC (now they called it Triluminos) ... choosing the right TV can be quite headache

I don't have a 1080p TV in the livingroom yet, so it will be tempting for sure, especially with how cheap TVs are these days.

Im certainly considering a new 1080p projector, am currently gaming on the 720p HMZ-T1 and feel ill be missing out without an upgrade in resolution. Projector is the only option as i dont want to sacrifice screen size, its going to be pretty expensive trying to get something that can hold a candle to oled in contrast ratio though! decisions decisions, do wish they would have come out with a 1080p version of the HMZ by now :cry:

I think you'll find thats a Maximum of 1080p

ps: ive heard that for games frame interpolation (aka perfect motion rate) should be off
You need to check this see if I'm right
All I know for now is that Perfect Motion Rate is great for movies and sports, for instance, and that there are some standard settings for Sports, Games, Movies, etc, and that the TV is infinitely configurable. It also features Pixel Plus technology which can be tuned to remove artefacts -I mean hatching-.

As long as Philips keep making brilliant TVs as they usually did, then one can't be wrong.

The new consoles support resolutions up to 4k, but I think only a bunch of games will run at that resolution.

Does he need hdmi 1.4 ?
The main feature I like about HDMI 1.4 is the quality of sound tbh. I expect excellent picture and fine sound -not as good as dedicated speakers though- from a new TV. Other than that HDMI pure and simple is fine for me, regardless the version.

You do realize that LED TV is still LCD TV only with LED backlight.
And HDMI 1.4, I highly doubt is present on model you posted link for.

edit:

I'm keeping my eye on new TV's just in case my current one get broken and I'm quite displeased with offering, lot of PR fluff, Smart TV everywhere, Sony pushing again xvYCC (now they called it Triluminos) ... choosing the right TV can be quite headache
Yes, I do, there are many articles comparing both technologies and they usually recommend LED TVs despite of being a bit more expensive.

http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/led-vs-lcd.html

I've read the specs of this TV in so many websites that I can't recall some details exactly. Some of them said it is HDMI 1.4 compatible iirc, which is a plus if true, and if it wasn't, it's not something I am going to lose sleep over.

Finally, I fully agree with you on your statement, it can be a headache, most certainly. I had many TVs in mind, some were cheaper while offering similar capabilities but I started off being a fan of Philips TVs and when I found this model in particular -which took me a while- it had all what I needed.

What is the input lag on the TV?
I had read in one of those hypermarkets and stores articles featuring the specs of the TV that it is something along the lines of 4ms.

However, take this with a grain of salt, I am mentioning this from memory.

Besides that, there is this thread -among others- talking about the input lag issue and people there recommend the Philips TV (this model in particular) for gaming, compared to other models from different companies.

http://translate.google.com/transla...//www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2582005.html

My Xbox One will be my "Smart TV", then I don't need WiFi or advanced options.
I think that next gen consoles are going to work in tandem with the most modern TVs and taking advantage of certain features. The Smart TV function, among others, is a big plus for me.

Im certainly considering a new 1080p projector, am currently gaming on the 720p HMZ-T1 and feel ill be missing out without an upgrade in resolution. Projector is the only option as i dont want to sacrifice screen size, its going to be pretty expensive trying to get something that can hold a candle to oled in contrast ratio though! decisions decisions, do wish they would have come out with a 1080p version of the HMZ by now :cry:
Same here... It has been 6 years since I purchased my Samsung 22" HDTV and it was great back then, its capabilities exceeded those of the PS3 and Xbox 360 regarding the resolution and I have been quite happy with it.

But I bought two Samsung TVs, one for me and the other one a 46" for the living room that I purchased together with my siblings 5 years ago and I want something different.

You can use both remotes on either TV and they are more or less the same. Back then I followed the advice of people recommending me a Samsung but deep down I always liked Philips TVs too, and now that I matured a little I am beginning to think for myself when it comes to these decisions.

As for the projector, have you ever considered buying a TV like this? Cristiano Ronaldo posted this image precisely today in his Facebook account and said "This is my new TV, really excited about it!". :smile:

1234137_10151937328487164_1678489245_n.jpg

I prefer not to know how much it cost though.

I don't have a 1080p TV in the livingroom yet, so it will be tempting for sure, especially with how cheap TVs are these days.
If the new TVs these days are seductive for you, then go for it.

I can tell you from personal experience that the native resolution of the TV makes a big difference in the image quality. I mean that if at least one of the signals matches the native output resolution of your TV then you are in for a treat!

My current HDTV was a kind of special case, as its native resolution is 1680x1050 pixels. Which means that it is nor here nor there. Too much resolution for the PS3 and Xbox 360 but not enough for Full HD.

In the end, my 6 years experience with this TV made me think I really need a new TV. My current TV always either upscales or downscales the image.

Its HDMI input only accepts a 480p, 720p or 1080i coming from the console. I use the 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI and at 720p the image looks slightly stretched. At 1080i it's more or less the same.

HOWEVER, the Xbox 360 accepts 1680x1050p through the VGA cable and the difference in image quality is staggering, it's night and day!

You would have to see it with your own eyes to believe me!! :oops: Games look like 10 times better.

Additionally, sebbbi also told me time ago that if both the TV have the same output resolution, the lag decreases because there is no upscaling or downscaling involved.

This was an essential realisation for me and it has been 6 years with this TV already, testing things out, resolutions, calibration, etc etc, and the image quality never ever matched that of the VGA cable, be it over HDMI or Component.

HDMI looks better than anything else when it comes to crispness and sharpness, richer colours and pixel mapping. Component looks oversaturated but fine.

VGA image quality is unmatched on my current TV because it supports 1680x1050 but the colours are not as vivid and it looks slightly blurrier than HDMI because of its nature.

I could conclude from this, after 6 years, that a native Full HD support is required to get the most natural image quality, :eek: one that matches both the output of the console -whether it upscales or downscales it internally- and the TV, thus I decided to buy this new TV after much consideration on my part.

I don't live in the lap of the luxury but I think I can make the effort and it will be worth it.

I need some guidance myself. I think I bought my Sanyo 32" LCD(720p) about 5 or 6 years ago. My biggest complaint has been screen burn in. I tend to leave my TV & Xbox 360 on a lot. So it burns the dashboard or Netflix on the screen. I'm wanting to change to a better display technology that will stop the burn in. Are the LCDs out now any better? What about LED or Plasma? I'm looking for something around 50 inches(diagonal). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tommy McClain

Samsung F8500 plasma would have been the perfect choice if it weren't for its hideous input lag. It's got the everything else right. Excellent black level, light output, uniformity, motion performance, little to no dithering and IR, at a price that a sane human being can actually buy unlike OLEDs that are still suffering from burn-ins. I have been waiting for THE perfect gaming flat panel TV for over 10 years with no luck. I'm still using my Trinitron BVM (which I ditched my previous FW900 for) until I can finally find one. Hopefully by next year, either Samsung releases a lower end plasma with very good input lag or Panasonic releases more plasmas with higher light output like the ST60. (which is also plagued with terrible input lag)

I need some guidance myself. I think I bought my Sanyo 32" LCD(720p) about 5 or 6 years ago. My biggest complaint has been screen burn in. I tend to leave my TV & Xbox 360 on a lot. So it burns the dashboard or Netflix on the screen. I'm wanting to change to a better display technology that will stop the burn in. Are the LCDs out now any better? What about LED or Plasma? I'm looking for something around 50 inches(diagonal). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tommy McClain

I would recommend either Sony W800 or W900. Not only they both have ridiculously low input lags, they both feature a CRT strobe simulation technology which is kind of like nVidia's Lightboost technology being used in today's gaming monitors. Once you use this feature, you will get to enjoy motion performance that even rivals the best plasmas, but with the added benefit of not suffering from flickers either. I am more of a stickler for black level, so I can't abandon plasmas no matter what, but for those who are more lenient, those Sonys can be good choices for gaming.

Woah, didnt know oleds suffered burn in I thought burn in was a problem of the past

Haha, of course, things have got much better since the day Sony XEL-1 was released. Samsung OLED smartphones are getting more resistant to burn-in as time passes.

900x900px-LL-fc05e4d0_2wm2ly0.jpeg

900x900px-LL-5446bb0b_jq40bb.jpeg

This is still the unfortunate reality. Not to mention the shorter life blue phosphor has compared to red and green ones.

900x900px-LL-b93ba985_samsung-KN55S9C-sux-pixels.jpeg

The Samsung OLED TVs try to address that problem by having blue subpixel twice as large as red and green ones.

I just purchased a new Sony 50" W685. I sold my plasma and 27" monitor and the new TV is my only display. I got a pretty decent price on it 895€, cheapest at the time in any web store across Europe I could find due to a special campaign discount. Black levels are surprisingly good and it has a very low input lag.

The main feature I like about HDMI 1.4 is the quality of sound tbh. I expect excellent picture and fine sound -not as good as dedicated speakers though- from a new TV. Other than that HDMI pure and simple is fine for me, regardless the version.

There is nothing about hdmi 1.4 that improves sound quality. Shitty speakers will sound shitty no matter what. Good speakers will sound good, even if they are 30 years old.

Anyway I hate all those truemotion, realcinema or whatever they call it "improvements". I tried getting used to it but I just don't like the fast and "unrealistic" motions.

First thing I did was turn off all processing by the TV and label all my hdmi ports as PC.

Anyway a completely irrelevant number of people will buy a new tv for the next gen consoles. If there ever was any reason to buy a new tv it was around the time when ps3 and xbox360 launched. Nowdays pretty much everyone has a HD tv and I think the amount of people with a 720p set is pretty small. Even if you have a 720p tv I doubt there is a really big difference in IQ. Certainly not a 800 euro difference.

Back