Insomniac Games Brian Hastings on why PS3 is the console to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mindless arguments are these ones that extrapolate how game sizes 'should' increase, based on silly ratio's like ram:discpace, while completely ignoring that fact that developers are making it work.

Yes there will be compromises, I don't disagree, but we have to wait and see what those are.

This ridiculous FUD that DVD's are totally iinadequate is currently being proven wrong by actual games being released. Sony fans need to move on and find themselves a new argument...

No inadequate, just not as adequate as Blu-Ray, but hey, i think the 90´s was cool and all, i got 700 DVD´s that i love. Ohh and i´m only getting a few more, like Twin Peaks Season 2, the rest is gonna be on Blu-Ray.. HiDef > SD, Blu-Ray -> DVD, Space > Less Space

Because you dont actually need to fill up the whole ram before you can start playing. You only need the gamecode and the part of the map you are playing, the rest can be steamed while playing. Even if it would take something like 15 seconds it wont change anything at all. Spending 1 or 2 minutes at most every 10 - 20 hours to swap a disc isnt a reason for any sane person to not buy a certain console.

edit: seems I need to refresh my browser before I try to reply to someone. Homy's post got lost already.

wait wait.. you thinking about how a 4MB console could burn through 640mb on a cd
and how a 32mb or 64mb console could burn through 4.7 GB

And how suddenly 25/50GB is way to much and totally not needed for 512MB console?

It´s easy, since the XBOX and the PS2 had the same storage technology there wasn´t anything to fight about. Instead it was the incredible cool default Harddisk in the XBOX. Which they dropped for the 360, and thereby making it totally not needed and just something you should "choose" if you needed it, instead of being forced to buy one like sony did. And also did with the BluRay disc.

The 360 has 16 times the storage capacity compared to it´s ram. The PS3 97 times, both have less than their older brothers. But facts doesn´t matter, until mindless arguments about how DVD is enough. SURE IT IS but there will be COMPROMISES or more discs. It´s how it works, accept it, more storage is always good.. Except in this console war.

I so dearly hope Sony will win the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war, make alot of money so they can keep on fighting the Microsoft money machine and that the 360 fans will get their games on 10 Discs, at least the packageing would be cool...

Here is the difference the DVD rom of the PS2 costed gamers nothing. The PS2 launched at the same price as the PS1 launched at. If the PS3 costed the same as the PS1 and PS2 at launch with blue ray no one would of complained about it. More storage is not good when it basically doubled the price of entry in 1 generation.

Guys, it's ok that this thread generate a post a minute, but can the posts be civil?

There are way too many personal jabs wrapped up into some of these posts.

OTOH, they have already almost won war with HD-DVD thanks to including BRD in every PS3. HDDVD movies were outselling brd movies 3:1 before PS3's launch, now the trend has been reversed. they still have chances winning console war.

Crackdown demo was 1,18GB.

That is funny logic the Wii is outselling the PS3 3-1 so is the war almost over like the next hd movie war? Until someone can get the cost of stand alone blue ray players to a reasonable level hd-dvd will be around.

PS1 had a game that made a difference, please say the title just so that can prove yourself wrong.

Wait hold on ... you're not talking about the multiple disc FF are you? :oops:

;)

My comment was directed at the majority of games not the minority btw. Most games used the disc space advantage by using redbook audio.

My point is very simple. It is not a linear relationship of Ram to disc space.

Now how about some irony: with compression technics becoming better and more common place, guess which system is better able to take advantage. Hint: it's the one that doesn't need it as much due to the "nextgen storage space". :LOL:

I hope BR was worth it to Sony becuase not only was it costly for the games division, it could have been avoided by one simple policy change.

I would't say he is right, but i believe like him that some media really wants to see Sony fail, and when something new from Sony cames out they always try to make it look like shit.

Why though? Everyone hates MS, so I don't really understand why people think journalists would side with them over Sony.

I mean, rewind the clock 16 months, and it's the exact opposite situation. X360 is shit, and PS3 can do no wrong. Journalists were blowing their loads all over PS3.

I don't think Journalists want to see Sony fail, journalists are just sensationalist and short sighted by nature, they go with the flow and hitch their wagon on the popular POV of the day.

Here is the difference the DVD rom of the PS2 costed gamers nothing. The PS2 launched at the same price as the PS1 launched at. If the PS3 costed the same as the PS1 and PS2 at launch with blue ray no one would of complained about it. More storage is not good when it basically doubled the price of entry in 1 generation.

Launched in the US or Japan? Afaik the PS1 and PS2 was expensive as well, someone else can find the prices i´m sure.

The Blu-Ray is a factor, but it´s 100$ in difference and the PS3 has some options that the 100$ cheaper 360 doesn´t have. HDMI, Memory Card reader, 4 USB Ports and actual KB + Mouse support, Bluetooth support for general (and cheap) bluetooh devices, FREE online service which will earn back those 100$ in 2 years making your Blu-Ray drive free. And it plays alot of PS2 games :)

If your talking system to system comparison then the PS3 is the stronger console overall...

How about we wait for at least one title to prove this statement correct before we start blindly following spec sheets and hype/myth/fud.

cell>xenon
rsx<xenos

By how much and how little is still in question at this point and no evidence has been shown which proves the though process of: ps3>xb360 While I can point you to a couple of cases which prove the opposite, but let's not take the discussion there. ;)

If your talking system to system comparison then the PS3 is the stronger console overall..

Granted the 360 has the edge with regards to the GPU but overall the PS3 clearly has the advantage (albeit not by any excessive margin..)

I don't see why your arguing with the guy whern the words he spoke were perfectly correct..

Neither system will ever be more powerful than the other.There's too big of a difference in architecture to make a claim like that.

BRD will pay of for Sony but it will take a while. Sony just has to wait for it to win the format 'war' which will be well before the end of this year. I do agree that right now it's the biggest burden for the PS3.

Wait hold on ... you're not talking about the multiple disc FF are you? :oops:

My comment was directed at the majority of games not the minority btw. Most games used the disc space advantage by using redbook audio.

One game is all it takes to warrent the Blu-Ray drive, FF7 could not have been done on anything less than a CD-ROM, it actually took more than one Disc. But i guess you will say that they should have made it on 30 cartridges instead :)

-We'll see in five years
-Really? You can't think of a few big ones?
-Neither is Xbox360 if you think about it. Multi-platform titles will probably be built on extensible engines and further optimized from there (i.e. UE3, and whatever the crap Capcom is using)
-Finally you make a valid point.
-And for me it's worth it. Just like for some paying $50 per year for XBL for even less tangible benefit is worth it.

- Wishful thinking on your behalf. Wake up, smell the roses, the best PS3 can hope for is a 5-10% lead at the end of the day. Consoles are about games and price, 360 has both locked up going forward.
- A few. There was around 1000+ last generation?
- 75% of games are currently using XNA as their lead platform according to MS pr (take it as you will). The current state of X-platform ports supports my assertion as well. And even if it comes out as a wash, this is still a loss for Sony fans as it's a big change from last gen.
- Finally!!
- Good for you, but doesn't change the negative impact that the extra $100-200 will have on the succes of the platform, and the subsequent software support.

Why though? Everyone hates MS, so I don't really understand why people think journalists would side with them over Sony.

I mean, rewind the clock 16 months, and it's the exact opposite situation. X360 is shit, and PS3 can do no wrong. Journalists were blowing their loads all over PS3.

I don't think Journalists want to see Sony fail, journalists are just sensationalist and short sighted by nature, they go with the flow and hitch their wagon on the popular POV of the day.

yep

Also I don't think it's just blind "hate". I think it's a bit of angst for 1) feeling duped by Sony and 2) for being duped again by Sony. lol ... seriously in the midst of this, the arrogance doesn't add anything positive to their image but it seems to be in the executive training manual to act like a pompous ass most of the time.

From design phase to the inteview phase.

One game is all it takes to warrent the Blu-Ray drive, FF7 could not have been done on anything less than a CD-ROM, it actually took more than one Disc. But i guess you will say that they should have made it on 30 cartridges instead :)

Not a fair comparision, 30 cartridges vs 1 disc. 5 DVD discs vs 1 BD disc in terms of storage.

My analysis is this:

Sony is, in general, getting skewered by the media for not meeting expectations. These were expectations that they were in large part responsible for creating.

If you over-promise and under-deliver than you deserve to get some heat for it.

So what you're saying is it sucks to swap dvd's but swapping BR discs and cd-roms is great? :???:

You walked into that one. ;)

It's fine if you disagree with my assertion that the storage space ramp does not need to be linear. The games will prove my point for me this gen.

Hey have you played Gears yet? I hear it's pretty good and like won some awards 'n stuff. ;)

Also, what do you expect Sony will do next gen? move on to holographic discs to maintain this "holy grail" of storage space to ram ratio?

Launched in the US or Japan? Afaik the PS1 and PS2 was expensive as well, someone else can find the prices i´m sure.

The Blu-Ray is a factor, but it´s 100$ in difference and the PS3 has some options that the 100$ cheaper 360 doesn´t have. HDMI, Memory Card reader, 4 USB Ports and actual KB + Mouse support, Bluetooth support for general (and cheap) bluetooh devices, FREE online service which will earn back those 100$ in 2 years making your Blu-Ray drive free. And it plays alot of PS2 games :)

Both launched in the us for 299 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back