PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

R&C turned up in the post on Christmas Eve. Sweet. Really enjoying it (Insomniac are working up to being my favourite devs) but haven't played it a great deal - keep going back to Uncharted.

This now means I have all three! :)

rented 2 bucks. With games costing 65 bucks, not worth buying if it cant keep me occupied for the money. I figure when i was a kid i payed 25c for an avg of 7 mins of gaming at the arcades. So in this respect i want at least 30+ hrs total gaming for $65 bucks. but these games give me about 10hrs give or take probably worth 24 bucks to me. sure these are quality games but if i can get the same quality legally by renting then its a rent.

rented 2 bucks. With games costing 65 bucks, not worth buying if it cant keep me occupied for the money. I figure when i was a kid i payed 25c for an avg of 7 mins of gaming at the arcades. So in this respect i want at least 30+ hrs total gaming for $65 bucks. but these games give me about 10hrs give or take probably worth 24 bucks to me. sure these are quality games but if i can get the same quality legally by renting then its a rent.

This is very true. A game that costs 70 Euros should last at least 30 hours.
In Portugal we don't even have the option of renting the games.

I just got Uncharted, but I'm selling it has soon has I complete it. Just as I'm doing with R&C.
With this prices, it's BPS for me (Buy, Play, Sell).

Just ordered Uncharted. Ratchet isn't my kind of game so I won't get it even at a discount. Heavenly Sword came of fine in the demo, but it is too short to pay full price for so I'll get it eventually.

Also saw the awesome gameplay demo for MGS. I wasn't going to buy it until I saw that, now I want to have it like... 0-day ;)

I own all 3 and have beaten them all except R&C.

As far as game length, that doesn't bother me as long as I am being entertained with the game. I don't need anything that is stretched out to 30+hrs just for the sake of being long. I get bored with games like that because I put 10-15hrs into it and get nothing back but a story that lost it's appeal and non stop fetch quests. They ultimately get sold. I did purchase all the above titles and felt rewarded in each because of the core game itself and all of the unlockables such as concept art, behind the scenes footage, etc. As I go through my winter collection I will certainly be popping these beauties back in to finish my unlocks. Though I find no one is ever happy. It's always the game is too short, or the game is too long.

Game lengths are directly proportional to difficulty level you are on. Are HS, R&C and Uncharted all short even at their highest level?

R&C is not short to begin with. Both R&C and Uncharted unlock their hardest difficulty after the first completion of the game, and both have enough rewards to justice another play-thru.

Game lengths are directly proportional to difficulty level you are on. Are HS, R&C and Uncharted all short even at their highest level?

Of course they are short games.

I mean, if you suck, and play at the hardest settings, any game will be infinate, but the games in question are short on normal difficultiy levels, talking about how long it takes to finish on "insane" or whatever "impossible" difficulty level the dev chooses to implement would be rather pointless. Quake 4 on nightmare or whatever is the highest isnt something most people would ever finish for example.

btw CoD4 is also very short in SP alot of people claiming 5 hours, ive played for about 6 or so and im at 60%, but i play at Veteran (hardest setting)

I think it's a personal thing for many people, what's long and what's short. But as far as story driven games go, Uncharted seems to me to be pretty good. An important aspect of a game's length is how much repetition there is in terms of environment, backtracking and so on. There seems to be pretty much none of that in Uncharted, which counts for a lot.

Uncharted by the way seems to report your progress very conservatively. I'm currently averaging 10 percent per hour on Normal, according to the save, but I know I've put almost twice that in there. I think it does not count any retries or deaths or something like that.

Why did you pass on...

Uncharted.

Ratchet & Clank.

R&C: Watched the trailer and the game didn't look deep enough for me. Like a good movie, a good game should rise some emotions inside me to be worth of my time. The game looks to be fun and of high quality, but sadly I am not in their target audience.

Uncharted: I watched the trailer. The graphics and technology looked good, but there was nothing in the trailer that really made me want to buy the game (there was nothing hinting the storyline was any good). Most likely I would have bought the game anyway, but during the last half of the year Bioshock, Mass Effect and Guitar Hero 3 got released. These games took all the extra time I could spend for gaming. Maybe I'll get it next summer if I get bored of Rock Band, and Tekken 6 is still not out.

I didn't find R&C short at all. I think it took over 10h for me to finish it, probably around 12h. Uncharted was 8h 40 min on normal. Heavenly Sword was ridiculously short if you ask me though. It felt like a 3-4h game, eventhough it probably took a bit more than that.

The only reason it took as long as it did was the amount of enemies you had to face in each encounter. It felt like they doubled the enemies just to make it a bit longer... It was a solid game, but for a full price you are not getting much. I got it for 39€ which is ok for what it is.

I didn't buy them beacause I was able to rent them and beat them in two days. Although they were all top notch titles they left little to no repay value afterwards (imho). With that being stated, I couldn't justify dropping th cas for them after the fact.

I suppose it doesn't help that I am fairly broke right now, lol.

Well I bought R&C and Uncharted......2 out of 3 ain't bad eh!

Not much time with R&C yet, but I am really enjoying Uncharted. Taking my time with the game to enjoy the very nice view.

Well, I bought and played R&C to death. IMHO, it's a great game, with tons of humor and replayability. (I spent a lot of extra time tracking down all the hidden items and I've almost got all the plans for the super-weapon.) Although the graphics are cartoonish, I spent an awful lot of time just marveling at the bizarre, creative, beautifully rendered landscapes.

I also bought Heavenly Sword. As much as it pains me to say it---since some of the programmers have been such wonderful contributors here at Beyond3D---I was disappointed. The graphics were absolutely beautiful, both technically and artistically, but, for me, the game just didn't play well. The writing and acting were uniformly very good, but I found the melee combat to be awkward and unrewarding. On the other hand, the ranged combat was quite fun, and I felt the "aftertouch" control using the Sixaxis was innovative. Unfortunately, when I was done with it, I couldn't help but think that I would have gotten more out of replaying God of War II.

Uncharted is next. I plan to pick it up this Saturday.

The only other retail game I have for my PS3 is Virtua Fighter 5, which has entertained me for hours. (The Virtua Stick High Grade is awesome, BTW.) I have been enjoying the downloadable games, though. Super Stardust is fantastically addictive. Everyday Shooter and flOw are also great games.

As Josh's original question, why do people own a PS3 if not to play exclusive games and/or watch BR movies, well, I have a PS3 only because MS apparently didn't want me to have a functioning Xbox 360. If the 360's hardware quality were equal to the PS3's, then I would be playing Mass Effect right now. That said, I don't feel that I have to purchase mediocre PS3 games just because they're exclusive. If Call of Duty 4 is the best game on the PS3, why shouldn't I buy that over an exclusive, but lesser game?

I ONLY have exclusives for my PS3 right now, and the PS3 is the only current generation system I own. I have Resistance, MotorStorm, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet & Clank. Just got the last three games for Christmas and love them!

Uncharted is simply amazing. Outstanding graphics, intense firefights and some fun platforming, hardly any load time, and very likeable characters.

Heavenly Sword was good. My first play through left me disappointed, but playing through again on Hell Mode (Which was actually easier for me) gave me more satisfaction since I had to actually learn the combat mechanics. I HATED the SIXAXIS aftertouch stuff though. I used the thumbsticks on my second play through. Graphics were fantastic, as was the acting. Though Whiptail and Flying Fox irked me.

Ratchet & Clank is, so far, pretty darn slick! The worlds are a lot more alive than what was shown in the demo. The platforming is a blast, and I'm trying to track down all those darn hidden items! And the comedy... It is hilarious. "We pirates sing shanties of girls in loose panties, who linger by the shore. For five bolts I'll love her, then leave that land lubber. A pirate ever more." You HAVE to love it...

For all you people missing out on these exclusives, go get them!

Just started R&C, pretty cool game.
My mate got a PS3 + Uncharted so i'll trade him Motorstorm + Resistance :)
Oh and i'll get Heavenly Sword later on or rent it soon.

R&C - not my cup of tea
Heavenly Sword - ""
Uncharted - close, but expensive (at $60) since I'm not crazy about the gameplay (prefer RPG/Strategy). It'd be a buy at $30 for me though.

Didn't get Heavenly Sword since it is 30fps.
I got Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank.

I can't play games in the vein of Ninja Gaiden or DMC at 30fps. It's the same reason I'm not going to buy Too Human.

Back