PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
This is a question for current PS3 owners only.

Why have you not purchased Uncharted? Ratchet & Clank? Heavenly Sword?

The sales numbers are abysmal. Why buy a $400-$600 console and NOT purchase the best titles the platform has to offer? Seeing multiplatform games like Madden, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4 all sell well raises eyebrows in regards to why people even picked up a PS3. The total Blu-ray movie titles indicate it isn't Blu-ray (at this point at least), so what gives?

Why did you pass on...

Uncharted.

Ratchet & Clank.

Heavenly Sword.

I am really curious why people aren't picking these titles up. They are great titles (good production values, solid gameplay, well-to-great reviewed, etc). This question stems from a discussion from the Nov. NPD. The sales trends on the platforms is jarring and I am at a loss why 360 owns gobbled up Saint's Row, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, etc and yet really great PS3 exclusives are going idle.

So explain why YOU didn't buy each of these titles. Thanks :) There is no right/wrong answer... but getting a better pulse on how these games haven't resonated with gamers in the know (who cannot fault non-exposure... Gamersyde/Gametrailers coughcough)... so type away... from your PS3 even ;)

I've already got R&C.
Soon enough I'm getting Uncharted.
Currently I'm playing COD4.
As for Heavenly sword: 1) It's not my type of game. 2) It's too short. The games are expensive around here. I'm not paying 70 Euros (about $100) for a game that I don't like that much, and ends in 6 hours.

Don't forget R&C is a platform game. This type of game doesn't sell as good as shooters.
I'm a big fan of platform games. Obviously I had to get R&C.

I did buy all those games, didn't buy Assassins Creed, CoD4, nor Madden or the latest NFS.
I've also bought about 20 BD movies in the 9 months I've owned the PS3.

Maybe the competition from those heavily marketed multiplatform titles is just too much for the less marketed exclusive games.
Maybe it's the incoming Christmas, people are saving them for presents.
Maybe they just don't appeal that much to the average gamer, because of the character types that maybe aren't as "in" as some assassin, a space marine or some other stereotype.
Maybe PS3 gamers aren't that open to new game ip's. Only R&C is an established gaming character, and it's very much aimed for younger players who haven't yet got their PS3's.

I wouldn't say the exposure for the Joe Average who has no idea what Gamersyde and Gametrailers are, has been that great for those PS3 exclusives.

The userbase for PS3 is still relatively low, I think only after this Christmas we can really start talking about the PS3 as a device that is going to be adopted by the masses. It's only now I've started hearing people talk about PS3, about getting one for themselves or a present. That's of course just my hearing, so not necessarily any indication of a trend.

What was there to compete against Saint's Row, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Lost Planet... and how much did they sell compared to those aforementioned PS3 exclusives.

I bought all three titles and really enjoyed them.... Very impressive games, altough I think Heavenly Sword could be little longer.
Now I am planning to buy Lair and check its value on my own....
Coming soon - Burnout Paradise

I also did buy all three, and didn't buy Assassin's Creed or CoD4. But I'm guessing I have more things in common with rabidrabbit, like:

- I live in Europe
- I am a fairly hardcore gamer

People that I know who aren't hardcare and haven't bought these games are still discovering the PS3's PSN content, basically, and are still playing the pack-in games and/or FIFA.

I have all three. Uncharted is the last I bought, and I'm really enjoying it.

Heavenly Sword was a taste of things to come and caused a few of my friends to go out and buy PS3's.

R&C still suffers from a little kids game image, but is so much fun and very good looking.

I don't know any of my PS3 owning friends who don't have all three. Apart from those who have better things to spend their money on!! (like children and stuff)

I have 2 of the 3. I really don't like R&C much. I more into Jak games...are sandbox type games. I didn't buy COD4 or AC. COD4 because of the rumor that PS3 ports are bad, AC because i flatout thought the game sucked. Horrible story , clunky controls, bugs, and it boring when you look past those.

I have all three..

Love them all..

Also i'm not sure how true the point is about Uncharted's exposure generally..?

I've been to the cinema three times now (2ce in london & once in nottingham) & everytime you see ads for Uncharted & Heavenly Sword along side the Halo 3 promos before each screening..

Take from that what you will..

I did buy all those games, didn't buy Assassins Creed, CoD4, nor Madden or the latest NFS.
I've also bought about 20 BD movies in the 9 months I've owned the PS3.

Maybe the competition from those heavily marketed multiplatform titles is just too much for the less marketed exclusive games.
Maybe it's the incoming Christmas, people are saving them for presents.
Maybe they just don't appeal that much to the average gamer, because of the character types that maybe aren't as "in" as some assassin, a space marine or some other stereotype.
Maybe PS3 gamers aren't that open to new game ip's. Only R&C is an established gaming character, and it's very much aimed for younger players who haven't yet got their PS3's.

I wouldn't say the exposure for the Joe Average who has no idea what Gamersyde and Gametrailers are, has been that great for those PS3 exclusives.

The userbase for PS3 is still relatively low, I think only after this Christmas we can really start talking about the PS3 as a device that is going to be adopted by the masses. It's only now I've started hearing people talk about PS3, about getting one for themselves or a present. That's of course just my hearing, so not necessarily any indication of a trend.

What was there to compete against Saint's Row, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Lost Planet... and how much did they sell compared to those aforementioned PS3 exclusives.
I tend to write out of emotion , but this sums up everything i was trying to say!

I just got Uncharted yesterday. Well, I got my girlfriend to buy it for me as a christmas present.
Didn't get the other games yet.
Heavenly sword doesn't really appeal to me all that much.

And R&C, well, to be honest, every time I go into a gamestore I look at all these games, and every time again I get the feeling that they are way too expensive for what they are. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like I'm paying too much for a game when it's 60 euro's or more.

So with that, I got my console at launch, and the only PS3 game I have so far is Enchanted Arms (I also got FF12, but that's a PS2 game). Stupid isn't it?

Not sure this is the right forum to ask the question. Seems like a high adoption of these games here. The question is why other PS3 owners aren't buying these titles. If no-one has bought them, great, we can benefit from their reasons. However, we really need to find some people we know haven't got 'em and ask them why!

I bought Uncharted this weekend. I didn't buy it on launch just because I was still in the middle playing several other games. But now I am a proud owner. Played about 90% now and I love it.

Ratchet & Clank. I bought it on launch and it is awesome. Played through it 3 times. Got almost all the skill points.

Heavenly Sword. I didn't buy this one. Because I borrowed a friends copy, played at least 4 hours-- and I did not like it. It was gorgeous for sure. But the gameplay was in a word: boring. The story was not holding me either. It was so cliche. The dialogue, even though well delivered, was mostly complete drivel. I could not even bring myself to finish the game, even though it was supposed to be short. I just got bored. When the game is bargin bin priced, I might pick it up. Because at least from a technical perspective it is an interesting demo.

I have not bought AC or COD4 for PS3 yet. I just don't have enough time for gaming these days. I want to eventually buy them. But I am not in a hurry. I still have several other games to finish. The game that has been taking up the most time for me recently is Final Fantasy Tactics PSP. FFT is so god damn good! Been playing it over 40hours already and still only in Chapter III.

I bought GT5P last week too, if that counts for anything. I definetly have more than enough stuff to play on the PS3 for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully after Christmas, when all the kids who got utter crap like the PoTC game or the Spiderman game will go and exchange them for something awesome like Uncharted or R&C.

Heavenly Sword is the only game I don't have, the reasons for this are: It didn't receice as good reviews as I was hoping, it's very short, the demo left a bad taste in my mouth and no separate jump button in a game like this is imo crime against humanity... Also I generally don't like to play as a female.

A friend of mine got this and is praising it, convincing me to give it a chance, so I'm getting it after I finish Mass Effect.

I bought Uncharted(surpass my all expectations) and Heavenly Sword (beautifull graphics with great story and controlls), Ratchet i will buy ahead.

And i dont understand why this games with high quality over all aspects dont sell millions like COD4,assassins etc

(maybe this gen peopple like more games GTA like "opem world" and fps over traditional styles)

Last edited by a moderator:
I pre-ordered Uncharted, as it's the game i've been waiting for, and i'm not dissapointed so far.

I didn't buy HS as it's not really my sort of game, I didn't have any time to play it when it cam out as I'd just bought Warhawk. Also my Brother bought it so I'll borrow it from him at some point.

I haven't yet bought R&C as I've been too busy with Warhawk, PES 2008 and now Uncharted, plus i'm still playing Motorstorm, R:FoM, GT:HD, GT5:p demo and RidgeRacer as I only got my PS3 in September.

I haven't bought AC or CoD4 because AC leaves me cold, I never bought any of the hype and CoD4 is a bit short for a single player game and I've got a decent PC so i'd buy it ib that anyway.

Burnout Paradise is my next Must Buy.

I bought Uncharted and Ratchet. Heavenly Sword was a rental for me because of the length and lack of any real replay value. Game was a fun play through but I would never pick it up again. I actually had it pre-ordered along with Lair but I canceled both upon reviews. Haven't had the chance to play Lair but Heavenly Sword cancellation was defiantly the right choice.

Back