PS3 Owners: Why didn't you buy R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword?

I think the low sales might be due to the multifunctionality of the machine. People see it as a games machine, Blu-ray player, media server, some use it for folding and whatnot. All these other functions combined might be eating the time and focus spent on gaming and thus people aren't buying as many games. Of course thesmall install base and the fact that games like CoD 4 and Assassins Greed just seem to appeal more to PS3 owners, it's not like those are bad games so it's even understandable to a degree.

edit: I also think that many people who own just PS3 are brand loyalists and also somewhat IP-loyalists, they bought the machine for old IPs and are not immeaditely excited about these new games. (although Assassins Greed is a new Ip too...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought HS.

Will at least rent Uncharted and R&C at some point. Would buy if they had online modes.

Spent most of my gaming time online with Madden and NHL.

Online mode is a must for replayability.

I've had my PS3 since launch but haven't picked up any of these games.

R&C: I've never liked platformers and after playing the demo, my feelings haven't changed. It's just not my cup of tea.

Heavenly Sword: Didn't care for the demo.

Uncharted: This game got lost in the Fall rush of 360 releases for me. The demo was nice and I'll probably pick it up after the holidays.

Maybe in fact it's too early to tell that those games aren't selling well... At least for two of them - it has been stated before that HS sold about 600 000 copies which is quite decent amount
If I remember correctly, first Uncharted sales numbers has been published 3 days after game launch so its not like it will not sell anymore... Game is getting more and more good reviews from sites and gamers and people are starting to realize that Uncharted is such a masterpiece.

Another thing is that sales number are mostly from US (XBOX land) - I'm pretty sure that in EU sales numbers for above mentioned titles are much better (maybe except UK)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add my 2 cents and say I bought all 3 too. In fact I bought 2 copies of Uncharted (one as a gift).

Absolutely loved HS and Uncharted. R&C was a teeny bit behind them. All IMHO of course.

And would you look at that? It seems forum goers aren't your typical gamers!

I must say that if my 360 was fixed/replaced by now at least one of those above would've been cut for Mass Effect or Bioshock. :(

Online mode is a must for replayability.

Yeah I think thats key. If you want to avoid online support completely then you need to provide at least 20+ hours of gameplay. Trying to sell a game with 5 to 8 hours of gameplay and no online support for $60 is becoming tougher by the day, more so when the alternative is games like Mass Effect (a.k.a, crack cocaine). Anecdotally, the usual comments I hear on games that are < 10 hours of play with no online is "I'll just rent it".

betan said:
While gamerscore is probably smart move businesswise, achievement-whoreness is still childish and silly. Of course a little friendly competition should be healthy but it's not even about skill most of the time. I just don't get it I guess.

I didn't get it either. I admit I still don't really get it why I love achievements so much, but I do. I remember years back when were were at Microsoft going over optimization and one guy there was describing this new 'achievements system' to me, I recall thinking, who the heck is gonna care about that? Man was I wrong!

It is often about skill btw. I got the "marksman" achievement on Mass Effect the other day and the "rich" achievement last night. Did my buddies get those? Not all of them! Bragging rights are always fun.

Well whether you consider vgcharts accurate or not these are the numbers sold so far for the 3 games as of today.

Heavenly Sword: 660ks
R&C Future: 510ks
Uncharted: 430ks

Uncharted is the latest release and the pace that it's selling is faster then the other two. R&C Future is selling better then Heavenly Sword going by time periods. I would assume by the end of March 08 all 3 games will get around 750ks to say the least.

PS3 owners are buying games. It's just that most of them seem to go after multiplatform titles like CoD4 and AC.

PS3 versions
CoD4: 1.3 million
AC: 1.5 million

I bought HS and R&C, but rented Uncharted. The main problem with purchasing any of these games is that they can easily be beat within a rental timespan and there is very limited replayability in all of them (I dont care about new costumes or acquiring more artifacts). I see no reason to to buy these games for approx. 180 usd, when I can rent them for approx. 15 usd and get the same level of enjoyment out of the titles.

i bought all 3, (i think i bought the majority of games that came out 2nd half and onwards of this year)...

i traded in r&c and heavenly sword once i beat them...i really should start renting games that dont have multiplayer

still playing and enjoying uncharted

i have AC and COD4 as well though

and about the achievements...uncharted has them, so say what you will about it, but it seems that at least one dev think it helps

VGChartz thought yesterday that COD4 360 has sold 1.07 million in the US to date, whereas NPD reported 1.5 million for november only.
AC is at 0.9 million for the US, NPD said that CE + regular version together have passed a million in november, too.
They still think so today.

I wouldn't trust any software numbers less than 6 months old from VGChartz...

I'm no achievement whore, but frankly I don't get it when gamers say it's childish. Unless of course all games are childish...

Achievements are a game too. Simple as that.
Don't follow your logic. Obviously one game can be childish, that doesn't mean all of them have to be. So achievements being a game doesn't shield it.

Go ahead, but I think you will find the question here is a little more pointed: why aren't the best PS3 games selling well? ME is selling well,
I have read NPD thread, and people are so eager to call Uncharted a bomb for some reason.
Yet since we are talking about per console user, the reception of Mass Effect doesn't really seem different from Uncharted (1 million vs 400K+??, or 470K vs 117K in NA). And Mass Effect is much stronger GOTY contender than Uncharted really is, not to mention twice the length, and probably much more replay value.
These are exclusive titles that differentiate the platform. They were highly anticipated, given extensive exposure at trade shows and magazine exclusives,
I also keep hearing how they were all hyped before the release. That's simply not true.
None of them had any real hype maybe outside ps3forums(?).
And they aren't selling.

Sony essentially has 1 great selling exclusive title: Resistance. Motorstorm (one of my favorite next gen games btw) has benefited from being a packin and promotions and hasn't bombed (Sony was wise to acquire Evolution Studios), but due to a number of market conditions didn't quite make the splash it would if released today. Laid bombed on all fronts. Heavenly Sword reviewed favorably but has had sluggish sales (at least in NA). Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction is probably the best game on the platform and makes great use of the PS3... and is overlooked. Uncharted, a good game with out of this world technical excellence, has also failed to discover a worthy audiance. Unreal Tournament 3 is another example of a very good game that hasn't sold well.
Well since I don't find the sales puzzling, I'm going to address whether they are bomb or not.
Apart from Lair, all those Sony titles managed to shut up PS3 critics in two fronts. First one was PS3 not having anything that looks "comparable" to Gears. Second was the weakness of PS3 exclusive library. We come to a point that critics can only mention sales.
Plus they sold enough to secure sequels for fans.
Exclusively differentiate your platform. Especially when the competition more often than not has the better multiplatform titles. And Sony, to their credit, has actually delivered a number of really great exclusive titles.
But they don't seem to connect with consumers.
Another question is whether relatively poor sales prevent those titles from differentiating the platform. I'm not sure they do.
So the question is why so many good PS3 exclusive titles are being ignored by PS3 owners. In general it isn't 3rd party software on the PS3 drawing away sales (as 3rd party software isn't fairing significantly better) and Blu-ray disk sales are significantly large either.
When we look at the attach ratio of 360 vs PS3, I don't see the gloom and doom everybody is talking about. The slight difference, can be easily explained by library size and demographics.

I think there are more interesting questions like why Orange Box, PGR4 on 360, or late ports of greatest games like Oblivion and R6:Vegas on PS3 sold poorly. They not be unexpected, still puzzling. Also people who said they love R&CF don't seem to bothered with playing rest of the series. I understand gfx is important given the investment but, $10-15 for such great games should be irresistible.

Anyway, PS3 won't have a Halo 3, GTA or Wii Sports that can move large chunks of SKUs anytime soon, so I don't see the point discussing the topic for every single PS3 exclusive.

VGChartz thought yesterday that COD4 360 has sold 1.07 million in the US to date, whereas NPD reported 1.5 million for november only.

VGC has CoD4 360 at 1,461,548 ending on December 1. For December 15, it's not at 1.07 million like you said. It's 1.7 million.

AC is at 0.9 million for the US, NPD said that CE + regular version together have passed a million in november, too.
They still think so today.

VGC has AC 360 numbers ending on December 1 at 1,018,435.

I wouldn't trust any software numbers less than 6 months old from VGChartz...

To each his own. But the two references you made are not what I consider far apart in accuracy. Go check VGC's NA numbers for the software total numbers dated for Dec 1 and Dec 15.

Seems like they've adjusted in the mean time, I do remember reading completely different sales numbers a few days ago even on the detailed lists. Then again NPD data has been released in the mean time ;)

Edit: worldwide million seller list still has the old data...

VGChartz changes... errr updates... their numbers frequently. They aren't very useful for recent data points. I don't think this is even debatable?

I know VGC is known for some accuracy problems. And they don't have complete source for every single game sales. But updating it for the better is better then just leaving it the way they are. Especially for the important games.

VGMakeBelieve adusts their historical number to NPD after they come out. As of last month ioi vowed to not do that (thinking his numbers are more accuracte) but I'm not sure if that was just some chest thumping or he actually stuck to that.

Back