Which PS3 Games Should I Buy?

From my experiences, despite not knowing what your tastes are!, I can at least provide my experience of a few titles.

EOJ : This is a strategy game much more than a standard collectors card game, as we've slowly learnt. You have attack damage and hit points per monster, which is standard fair, and spells cards. But you also have position, orientation, activation costs, and territories to worry about. In the beginning we were thinking about killing monsters, but that line of thinking meant doom and disaster. The last game we played (collective of three, Tuesday nights being Fun night when we get together) we won thanks to a bit of strategic thinking that placed a creature deliberately with it's weak blindspot facing a baddy factoring in the cost for that baddy to attack etc. EOJ has far more in common with chess than Pokemon or Magic, as like Chess the different pieces have difference influences over different positions. If you like chess, EOJ is a great choice. If you hate those sorts of games, steer clear! Plus the camera can't focus close enough to get the cards in focus, which is stupid. Sony need to release a cheap little stick on lens. And the camera comes with a cover for the USB port, but not a lens cap! How backwards is that thinking?!

RFoM : Much like every other shooter out there to my non-FPS-fan eyes. It's as entertaining to me as the other great shooters. The glass is fabulous though! If you like shooters, it's a very good choice.

Warhawk : This is a game you need to dedicate time to, learning the maps and controls. Dunno how much fun it'd be as a single player in a map. I'd find it tiresome, but fans of online gaming will find plenty to enjoy. We played 3 to a console, and had to set up a server to allow us all to play on the same team, which limited us to 8 players, but people joined in. In fact bizarrely, it doesn't notify you of people joining. We started as the three of us on the same team with no competition, and then gradually noticed other people. It's also cheap as a download.

RnC : Only seen as a spectator. I'll go against the grain here and say the graphics didn't amaze me. They're high quality and all, and very smooth, but they didn't wow me. Overall it looks like a platformer with a long view and lots of ships in the background. The camera didn't seem particularly friendly either. I wouldn't get this myself, but if you like the platformy-shooty thing there's no better option out there!

Oblivion : I wouldn't get this. You have it for PC and already started getting bored. PS3 is the same game, so why spend money on something you're already getting tired of?!

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone.

Some of you must have missed the detail in my first post about already owning Uncharted. :)

You can never have enough copies of Uncharted. :)

R&C isn't just a platformer, it has just as much 3rd person shooting as platforming. And a lot of other stuff, the game is very varied. I never had any problems with the camera. You can even chose between a few options to control it.

I own every game on your list, except for two. Time Crisis 4, and Timeshift. I dont have Crisis because Ive read that there are some calibration issues with large TV's, which I have. And I dont play FPS's on consoles unless there is no choice, so I have Timeshift on the PC.

Out of all that you've listed, I would get Uncharted first and foremost. Its a really, really good game. It is really just a blast to play, havent had that much fun in a long time. I bought AC the week before, didnt touch it again till I beat Uncharted. Now Im back with it.

I also really enjoyed Lair, which isnt on your list. Though, some complain about control issues (I have no idea why, its not hard at all), Id rent it first. I did, then bought it the next week.

I should add lair to the list. I'll see if I can download a demo off of PSN tonight and see how I like it. fallguy, thanks for the info about time crisis, although it's a real bummer. Any idea if there is a particular size screen the game (or more specifically the guncon) doesn't like? Is it a certain type of display that it doesn't like, say LCD?

Thanks again everyone! Keep it coming :)

Definitely check out used games for Lair.

I picked up Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Lair for under $100 used (buy two get one free at gamestop). You basically double your money if they have the ones you want.

I got RNC, Warhawk, Resistance, Uncharted, Legos Star Wars and Motorstorm. Got to wait until xmas. Used the buy three get one free @ toys r us and bought the 80gig with one free game.

I should add lair to the list. I'll see if I can download a demo off of PSN tonight and see how I like it. fallguy, thanks for the info about time crisis, although it's a real bummer. Any idea if there is a particular size screen the game (or more specifically the guncon) doesn't like? Is it a certain type of display that it doesn't like, say LCD?

Sadly, there is no demo for Lair. At least rent it. Or buy it from a place that lets you take it back. Gamestop lets you take back a used game within 7 days.

Any idea if there is a particular size screen the game (or more specifically the guncon) doesn't like? Is it a certain type of display that it doesn't like, say LCD?

IIRC it says on the back of the box something like "for use on tv's 17" - 55" only", hope that's within your screen size. AFAIK the reason behind using the sensor is so that it's compatible with lcd/plasma/etc.

Heavenly Sword is a highly polished game , UT3 is also great on PS3. R&C for the 15 year ago side scroller but it's 3D, oops its not on your list . Oh yes COD4 is a very special game, imo...

IIRC it says on the back of the box something like "for use on tv's 17" - 55" only", hope that's within your screen size. AFAIK the reason behind using the sensor is so that it's compatible with lcd/plasma/etc.

42" 1080P LCD, so I'm good. Thanks for the info :) I'm going to see if I can just rent this one to play with a friend sometime. Make for a fun afternoon, but probably not worth the purchase.

Heavenly Sword is a highly polished game , UT3 is also great on PS3. R&C for the 15 year ago side scroller but it's 3D, oops its not on your list . Oh yes COD4 is a very special game, imo...

All those are basically at the top of my list right now, including R&C (3rd game on the list).

I bought COD4 & The Fountain on Blu-ray. I decided to only get one game for the time being because I had a genius moment and realized I was incapable of playing multiple games concurrently so it's useless to buy several games now :p

Still finishing my first playthough of Drake's with a friend (we play on weekends) so I haven't gotten the chance to play COD yet, but I'm sure I will tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone, I still plan to purchase most of the games on my list as time goes by, so I may stop back here every so often.

BTW, Best Buy has COD4 for $37.99, among other titles. Very good price for that game. But Ive got it on PC already, cant stand to play FPS's on consoles unless I just have to.

Edit, here is a link for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...SP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0700000

Oh what the? I just bought it in-store for $45 on Saturday. How have they had a price drop since then?

Thanks for the link though, I'm going to stop by my local BB tonight and pickup Assassin's Creed now that it's almost half off :p

Edit: store won't be open late enough for me to pickup so I went with free shipping instead.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played Resistance and Eye of Judgment quite a lot without owning a PS3. :smile: I like both games a lot.

Playing split-screen story mode co-op in Resistance with a friend was great fun and we played through it on normal, hard and superhuman. BTW, the story mode seems quite long for a FPS game.

I see EoJ as a very good turn-based strategy game. I can't think of a better choice if you want a highly replayable and fun strategy game that gives you some time to think. Don't worry about needing to spend too much on super powerful cards. The game is balanced enough for the starter deck included with the game to be competitive. Setting up the game does take some space, but I'd imagine there is a way to play the game with half-size printed cards as the camera stand can be used at half-height. Not that I'm trying to encourage duplication of cards you don't have though. :p

Back