Insomniac Games Brian Hastings on why PS3 is the console to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I defend no FUD. I own both consoles unlike you and your crew (I won't name names). I already said 80% of this guys post was spin. Maybe you are unfamilier with the word spin?

Do you own the Wii because you bash it with the term "gimmick" and belief that "sales with fade" readily?

To illustrate the point even further let me ask you a question Scoob:

How big was the Crackdown Demo from live?

Around 600mb I think??

OTOH, they have already almost won war with HD-DVD thanks to including BRD in every PS3. HDDVD movies were outselling brd movies 3:1 before PS3's launch, now the trend has been reversed. they still have chances winning console war.

Crackdown demo was 1,18GB.

I'm pretty sure it was just over 1gb.

This "demo" had the entire game unlocked AFAIR. Not that Crackdown is the best looking game I've ever seen, but it is quite large and visually impressive for what it is. The "guts" of this game (huge btw) come to less than 1.5gb. So this argument of multiple discs and needing 50gb of data for nextgen is the most rediculous FUD... actually scratch that... there's too much here to pick just one thing! :LOL:

Seriously the biggest (most rediculous) is probably HDMI.

Off topic...but the only thing I have ever heard regarding disk size that was interesting was sometihing Phil Harrison said about Disk space to Ram Ratio and how it increased proportionatly ( if that's a word :LOL: ) from PS1 to PS2 and even Xbox...does anyone remember that quote?

wait wait.. you thinking about how a 4MB console could burn through 640mb on a cd
and how a 32mb or 64mb console could burn through 4.7 GB

And how suddenly 25/50GB is way to much and totally not needed for 512MB console?

It´s easy, since the XBOX and the PS2 had the same storage technology there wasn´t anything to fight about. Instead it was the incredible cool default Harddisk in the XBOX. Which they dropped for the 360, and thereby making it totally not needed and just something you should "choose" if you needed it, instead of being forced to buy one like sony did. And also did with the BluRay disc.

The 360 has 16 times the storage capacity compared to it´s ram. The PS3 97 times, both have less than their older brothers. But facts doesn´t matter, until mindless arguments about how DVD is enough. SURE IT IS but there will be COMPROMISES or more discs. It´s how it works, accept it, more storage is always good.. Except in this console war.

I so dearly hope Sony will win the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war, make alot of money so they can keep on fighting the Microsoft money machine and that the 360 fans will get their games on 10 Discs, at least the packageing would be cool...

I think its about time. If you just do incremental improvements there would be no revolutions or break-throughs.
PS2, xbox or gamecube can use cd-rom just fine because at the time the ps2 came out, the 52x cdrom drives were already out. It just takes a 18x cd-rom drive to match the speed of a 2x DVD drive, which is the one used in the PS2.

We need to have open minded about this.

I'm all for revolutions, but it just wasn't a good idea in this case. There's always gonna be newer and greater technology, but you have to hit that price-performance ratio if you wanna pull it off.

If I'm gonna pay 1-$200 more for a system, I want to to be for more horsepower, not a new unproven storage format.
Give me a Gig of RAM compared to the competitions 512.
Give me a beefier GPU....

Exactly, I've maintained for a long time, that from the POV of a Sony gamer, BR was a bad thing for them.

Look at what BR cost you as a PS fan:
- dominant marketshare out the window
- 3rd party exclusives essentially nonexistant
- ps3 is no longer lead platform for majority of games, meaning in general you will get the worse version
- you had to wait until late 2006 to get it
- you had to pay at least a $100 premium

If PS3 had launched with DVD, in 2005, or even spring 2006, all of those negatives would've been reduced or eliminated completely.

I understand why Sony choose to do it, but I'm somewhat baffled why PS fans continue to proclaim BR as a positive thing. It has dampened the success of you console of choice immensely.

QFT

I'm all for revolutions, but it just wasn't a good idea in this case. There's always gonna be newer and greater technology, but you have to hit that price-performance ratio if you wanna pull it off.

If I'm gonna pay 1-$200 more for a system, I want to to be for more horsepower, not a new unproven storage format.
Give me a Gig of RAM compared to the competitions 512.
Give me a beefier GPU....

There were no proven revolutions my friend. All revolutions came with uncertainties and if you want to take risks you would reap rewards later.
Talking about horse powers, there are no other consoles stronger than the PS3.

But facts doesn´t matter, until mindless arguments about how DVD is enough. SURE IT IS but there will be COMPROMISES or more discs. It´s how it works, accept it, more storage is always good.. Except in this console war.

The mindless arguments are these ones that extrapolate how game sizes 'should' increase, based on silly ratio's like ram:discpace, while completely ignoring that fact that developers are making it work.

Yes there will be compromises, I don't disagree, but we have to wait and see what those are.

This ridiculous FUD that DVD's are totally iinadequate is currently being proven wrong by actual games being released. Sony fans need to move on and find themselves a new argument...

Talking about horse powers, there is no other console that is stronger than the PS3.

You are so deep in Sony PR it's no wonder your posts are so skewed. Hate to break it to you, but on system to system comparisons, the consoles are essentially equal.

Maybe you don't want to believe that, but that's what our resident developers are telling us.

I would't say he is right, but i believe like him that some media really wants to see Sony fail, and when something new from Sony cames out they always try to make it look like shit.

wait wait.. you thinking about how a 4MB console could burn through 640mb on a cd
and how a 32mb or 64mb console could burn through 4.7 GB

And how suddenly 25/50GB is way to much and totally not needed for 512MB console?

It´s easy, since the XBOX and the PS2 had the same storage technology there wasn´t anything to fight about. Instead it was the incredible cool default Harddisk in the XBOX. Which they dropped for the 360, and thereby making it totally not needed and just something you should "choose" if you needed it, instead of being forced to buy one like sony did. And also did with the BluRay disc.

The 360 has 16 times the storage capacity compared to it´s ram. The PS3 97 times, both have less than their older brothers. But facts doesn´t matter, until mindless arguments about how DVD is enough. SURE IT IS but there will be COMPROMISES or more discs. It´s how it works, accept it, more storage is always good.. Except in this console war.

I so dearly hope Sony will win the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war, make alot of money so they can keep on fighting the Microsoft money machine and that the 360 fans will get their games on 10 Discs, at least the packageing would be cool...

This whole multiplier relationship is rediculous.

When ps1 came to market, the biggest thing the disc space offered was quality in game music over cart systems.

ps2 added large movies and data etc. but the audio usage was ~ the same

Now audio compression enables devs to use the original space on cdrom that was used for redbook audio for textures and geometry and sound fx as redbook audio can now be compressed to mp3 (or like technology) these same compression routines can be applied to textures and other assets through procedural generated content. (see sky in Crackdown)

Exactly, I've maintained for a long time, that from the POV of a Sony gamer, BR was a bad thing for them.

Look at what BR cost you as a PS fan:
- dominant marketshare out the window
- 3rd party exclusives essentially nonexistant
- ps3 is no longer lead platform for majority of games, meaning in general you will get the worse version
- you had to wait until late 2006 to get it
- you had to pay at least a $100 premium
-We'll see in five years
-Really? You can't think of a few big ones?
-Neither is Xbox360 if you think about it. Multi-platform titles will probably be built on extensible engines and further optimized from there (i.e. UE3, and whatever the crap Capcom is using)
-Finally you make a valid point.
-And for me it's worth it. Just like for some paying $50 per year for XBL for even less tangible benefit is worth it.

The mindless arguments are these ones that extrapolate how game sizes 'should' increase, based on silly ratio's like ram:discpace, while completely ignoring that fact that developers are making it work.

Yes there will be compromises, I don't disagree, but we have to wait and see what those are.

This ridiculous FUD that DVD's are totally iinadequate is currently being proven wrong by actual games being released. Sony fans need to move on and find themselves a new argument...

Let me just remind you that there were PS2 games that came out on cd-roms.
Why did they switch to DVDs?

Don't need to label posters, scooby. That's cheap.

I'm not sure how Blu-Ray is a revolution, but you're entitled to your opinion.
As far as no system being stronger, that all depends on how you view it.
The XBOX 360 has more usable RAM and a more powerful GPU, so it goes both ways.
The main problem for PS3 is that it's the one that has to prove it's worth the price of admission.

Regarding the "But the media hate poor Sony ! It's not fair !" talking point, remember that it's essentially karma at work. Had Sony not played the entire computer press world for fools at E32K5 with their shiny CGIs passed as actual gameplay and their "Spring 2006 launch" in order to stall the 360 momentum (and I'm not even talking about the immense arrogance oozing from 90% of their PR statements), perhaps the press would be a bit kinder to them.

Brian Hastings should've mentioned how lifting the top cover of the PS3 shows its built-in George Forman Grill. Wicked!

Well looking at the last generation of consoles and the current generation of handhelds, one would think that technical advantages and marketshare were inversely related. I don't understand why we continue to debate on such points.

This whole multiplier relationship is rediculous.

When ps1 came to market, the biggest thing the disc space offered was quality in game music over cart systems.

ps2 added large movies and data etc. but the audio usage was ~ the same

Now audio compression enables devs to use the original space on cdrom that was used for redbook audio for textures and geometry and sound fx as redbook audio can now be compressed to mp3 (or like technology) these same compression routines can be applied to textures and other assets through procedural generated content. (see sky in Crackdown)

PS1 had a game that made a difference, please say the title just so that can prove yourself wrong.

PS2 and the XBOX both took advantage of the DVD in several games, as long as the games took more space than a CD-ROM the DVD Size was needed and warrented, yes it could be made to fit on a CD-ROM or a Floppy but compromises would have been made, for example no game at all.

PS1 and PS2´s history (of course we tend to ignore history especially when it works against our arguments) is a perfect showcase of more space is good and can lead to better games.

Any compression scheme used to the benefit of the DVD storage can and will be used to benefit the BluRay storage. Btw i download a game that took less space than Crackdown, a perfect example of a game that requires less storage than Crackdown.. and nothing else. Just like Crackdown teaches us nothing about games that need alot of storage.

You are so deep in Sony PR it's no wonder your posts are so skewed. Hate to break it to you, but on system to system comparisons, the consoles are essentially equal.

Maybe you don't want to believe that, but that's what our resident developers are telling us.

If your talking system to system comparison then the PS3 is the stronger console overall..

Granted the 360 has the edge with regards to the GPU but overall the PS3 clearly has the advantage (albeit not by any excessive margin..)

I don't see why your arguing with the guy whern the words he spoke were perfectly correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back