PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

I will keep mine in the living room and my slim in my gaming room.

By the way, what do you think of the fan noise from the slim after some gaming?

I was a little bit dissappointed because of a slight high pitch noise from the fan. Also from cold start it goes through around 10 increases in rpm of the fan within 30 minutes. Same with different placement.

Got my slim.

Wondering if I should keep hold of my launch unit until there are scarce to make a killing on ebay, I'm sure the price for BC capable units will go up and up.

I doubt that... ps2 slim is rather small and sold fairly cheap now days. I believe there isn't that many people who will pay a big premium over ps2 slim+ps3 slim to have an old launch ps3 that most likely is not going to last that long anyway before breaking down. Invidual sales with insane prices will happen as there are idiots/desperate people but in large masses?

I sit about 1 foot away from it and I can barely notice it, there is a hum but it's far quieter than when a disc is in it (which itself is fairly quiet)

Mine didn't seem to change but I didn't really do anything with it, played a bit of batman then downloaded all my PSN games again. I had both PS3s on I prefer the higher pitch whine of the slim as even though it's a slightly off putting noise is still far quieter than the 60gb one.

I guess yours also changes rpm. It is very little sound difference between each level, must be total silence around you to hear each level up and no disk inside. I did it because I was curious. The sound you get right after startup (before it calms down) is about level 8-9. I have tested 2 slims, both the same, but one had more pronounced high pitch on same rpm than the other that I am keeping. Guess I am sensitive to higher frequencys. Like the machine anyhow

old launch ps3 that most likely is not going to last that long anyway before breaking down.
Approximately 90% of all PS3s have no issues what so ever so I really don't understand why you would think it's going ot give up the ghost.

I have never had any issues with any console as I know how to look after them (this includes 4 xboxes that only failed months after I had sold them on)

It's definitely quieter than the fat, but the sound it makes is also different. With the fat model, all you'd hear was the "woosh" sound of air flowing through. If the fan itself made some other noises, they were drowned out completely at any rpm.

The slim moves so little air that I don't hear any flow noises at all, but there's a little hum now that I didn't notice with the fat.

Sorry for the bump but a thought just came into my mind.

Since MS officially stated that they would release a special edition XBOX 360 unit with a 250 GB HDD (for COD: Modern Warfare 2 and 'possibly' for Forza 3 as well), I'm guessing Sony may not want to feel left out and thus, I was thinking that they 'might' proceed with releasing their 250GB HDD slim variant as well (you know, the one that has been seen in some patents).

Of course, you could actually change the physical storage drive (on the PS3) but still, there 'might' be a chance that they might follow suit as well. MS is releasing their special edition bundles for this Holiday season and I guess Sony 'might' respond by doing the same (by Q4 2009).

This is only a thought that came into my mind though.....

People have already found out about 250Gb PS Slim SKU from FCC before MS announced their 250Gb bundle. A hardware release is not planned last minute. They would be in both vendors' plans for months now.

Approximately 90% of all PS3s have no issues what so ever so I really don't understand why you would think it's going ot give up the ghost.

I have never had any issues with any console as I know how to look after them (this includes 4 xboxes that only failed months after I had sold them on)

Three of the launch PS3's in my folding@home farm died on me, which is a failure rate of 75% in my case. Luckily, Sony replaced them free of charge, even though they were out of warranty.

How did you manage to get a PS3 replacement for free out of warranty? I was actually folding on mine for awhile but stoped because I noticed that the fan speed was getting higher and higher as time went on, suggesting there were some air flow problems, and I didn't want to subject my ps3 to such a load if i couldn't insure low temperatures.

The rep I talked to about the first failure said that they had quietly extended (doubled, I believe) the warranty for launch 60GB units and I happened to fall within range. Subsequent reps weren't as forthcoming about the warranty extension but I insisted that I was told there was one and they relented.

Phat

Good luck to everyone upgrading their console. I just realized that some game-saves are linked to PS3 and PSN-login.

The best example is Soul Calibur 4:
I was able to copy the game save to my PS3slim and use it under the same PSN account. However, copying that save file to a different local user doesn't work (this worked on the original PS3 where the game save originated from).

I'm not sure if there other games, but this is hugely annoying.

I'm not sure if there other games, but this is hugely annoying.

I don't know if it's exactly the same issue you're having, but I was looking into locked save games last month (for my buddy who was thinking about upgrading to a slim) and came up with this partial list

Brain Challenge
Crash Commando
Dark Mist
The Eye Of Judgment
Fat Princess
Fight Night Round 4
High Velocity Bowling
Killzone 2
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Mega Man 9
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
Namco Museum Essentials
Need For Speed: Carbon
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Singstar
Skate 2
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2
UFC: Undisputed
Wolfenstein

Information taken from these posts
http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/08/26/locked-game-saves-on-the-ps3/
http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=4037080&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Not sure if any have been patched to remove the limitation (like I believe RE5 was).

Thanks for the link, besides the 45nm RSX, they've gone from using four 512 Mbit XDR chips, 2 of which was mounted to the other side of the motherboard, to two 1 Gbit XDR chips, all on one side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back