PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Perhaps they'll keep the price and bundle Move? That seems smart to me if they want their peripheral to get anywhere.

That could certainly explain the shortages. It had to be tempting to avoid selling consoles at a loss with the ability to sell them at a profit a few weeks or months later.
the shortages have hit again!!
amazon has the ps3 at 2-4 weeks shipping
bestbuy has the 120gb as sold out

I certainly don't think Sony under-produced on the PS3 due to the looming cost reductions of the RSX, they just simply underestimated how many 65nm chips would be required to fill the gap. It that's the issue of course... though my favored theory, I suppose there are other rumors of 120GB drive constraints and/or BD drive constraints floating around as well. Still, personally I think it's a ramp-down/ramp-up/prediction/timing issue related to the die shrink.

On the side, I find the news of 40nm fairly surprising, if only because I didn't think that the Sony/Toshiba fabs were pursuing that as a process outside of memory.

Perhaps they'll keep the price and bundle Move? That seems smart to me if they want their peripheral to get anywhere.

This is basically what they NEED to do. Offering PS3 at $299 + Move would push a decent amount of units. $349 could work, but I don't really think it'll be as effective.

Depends on what the new default package is going to be. If Move is going to come with every PS3 box past some point, going beyond 299 is an effective price increase, and as such a bad idea. If Move is sold as a peripheral and value addition in some bundles (but not baseline), pricing that bundle higher would be acceptable. But that would also kneecap Move's market potential.

They need to bundle PS Eye too if they want to bundle Move. PS Eye should have been standard anyway.

Depends on what the new default package is going to be. If Move is going to come with every PS3 box past some point, going beyond 299 is an effective price increase, and as such a bad idea. If Move is sold as a peripheral and value addition in some bundles (but not baseline), pricing that bundle higher would be acceptable. But that would also kneecap Move's market potential.
It's a difficult one for Sony though isnt it?. If they bundle move with every PS3 the console is never likely to get cheaper than $199 and probably rules out a significant pricecut in the next 18 to 24 months. Maybe a separate SKU without Dualshock?.

Move bundle and price drop are not mutually exclusive. If they want to, they can do both. They can also do it for a time period only. Also, not everyone is interested in Move.

Would they need to get FCC certification if the only hardware they were changing was the hard drive?

Presumably the Wifi and Bluetooth are the same components as existing SKUs so they wouldn't need to get recertified?

Maybe a new chipset?

It's a difficult one for Sony though isnt it?. If they bundle move with every PS3 the console is never likely to get cheaper than $199 and probably rules out a significant pricecut in the next 18 to 24 months. Maybe a separate SKU without Dualshock?.

Pretty much the same problems imo Microsoft is facing with Natal.

No doubt in my mind this fall we'd be looking at 360 hardware price cuts if Natal didn't exist. And possibly might have seen them in fall 2009 as well. Instead it's in limbo.

Would they need to get FCC certification if the only hardware they were changing was the hard drive?

Presumably the Wifi and Bluetooth are the same components as existing SKUs so they wouldn't need to get recertified?

Maybe a new chipset?

Some site mentioned that since they submitted the production and debug kit(s) for FCC approval, it implies more extensive motherboard changes. I'll just wait and see as usual.

Nothing in it for me ! ^_^
I'll be very happy if they grow MAG.

Back