PS3 Firmware 2.20

Unfortunately, I was wrong. I tried on POTC 2 and 3 but couldn't get it to work. Looks like the BD-J bookmarking feature is on a title by title basis.

Yup, it's title to title. The colored buttons on the blu-ray remote do indeed work though for titles that support bookmarks like the movie "Waiting". Most movies don't support bookmarks alas.

IIRC 3:10 to Yuma isn't actually a BD-J (Profile 1.1) release. It was announced as such, but not released with it.

Are you sure about this ? Both Resident Evil: Extinction and 3:10 to Yuma are known Profile 1.1 titles. The latter has caused some playback problem on the Samsung player (before firmware upgrade). The bookmark feature is a BD-J widget right ? This is why it is not common as joker454 mentioned.

J_Saint said:
Unfortunately, I was wrong. I tried on POTC 2 and 3 but couldn't get it to work. Looks like the BD-J bookmarking feature is on a title by title basis.

Ouch.

Yup, it's title to title. The colored buttons on the blu-ray remote do indeed work though for titles that support bookmarks like the movie "Waiting". Most movies don't support bookmarks alas.

Yeah, Profile 1.1 and 2.0 titles are few and far in-between. Now that Profile 2.0 playback is almost here, Sony should focus on usability next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure about this ? Both Resident Evil: Extinction and 3:10 to Yuma are known Profile 1.1 titles. The latter has caused some playback problem on the Samsung player (before firmware upgrade). The bookmark feature is a BD-J widget right ? This is why it is not common as joker454 mentioned.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1216/310toyuma2007.html

When this disc was first announced by Lionsgate, indications were that it would be a Profile 1.1-enabled title with Picture-in-Picture interactive features. However, the actual release product does not conform to the Profile 1.1 specification. When activated, Inside Yuma presents a pop-up control bar down the left of the screen containing selectable icons. Initially we start with options for script pages or storyboard graphics that can be overlaid on top of the movie (powered by regular Java, and not necessarily requiring Profile 1.1 capability). They are sporadic and frankly not all that interesting. As the movie progresses, new icons appear that will cause the movie to pause and branch off into separately encoded versions of the scene with Picture-in-Picture windows burned into the video. When complete, you'll be returned back to the main movie. Each of these segments is encoded with AVC compression, whereas the regular movie uses VC-1. Among the content are behind-the-scenes production footage, visual effects demonstrations, and "dailies" (a showcase of all the unedited footage from every camera angle that the editor had to work with, presented side-by-side in small boxes next to the final version). None of them are all that compelling, and the constant pausing and restarting of the movie is annoying. If the disc authors were going to use branching rather than true PiP, why not branch off into full-screen versions of the video segments that you could clearly see, rather than tiny fake PiP windows? It feels like the Inside Yuma feature was originally intended to utilize true Profile 1.1 functionality, but the authors couldn't get it to work in time and created this irritating workaround instead.

So it still uses Java (BD-J)? But not 1.1? Man, Bluray specs are a mess.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1216/310toyuma2007.html

So it still uses Java (BD-J)? But not 1.1? Man, Bluray specs are a mess.

Okay, that makes sense now. I misunderstood the spec. Profile 1.1 (BonusView) is PIP and 256Mb local storage. Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) adds Internet and 1Gb local storage.

BD-J is in the base profile according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

BD-J, or Blu-ray Disc Java, is the interactive platform supporting advanced content for Blu-ray Disc. BD-J allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated than bonus content provided by standard DVD, including network access, picture-in-picture and access to local storage.

BD-J was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association. All Blu-ray Disc players supporting video content are required to support BD-J, but none of the early players, except for Sony's PlayStation 3, support advanced features such as expanded local storage (persistent memory), picture-in-picture, or internet access. Collectively, these features (other than internet access) are referred to as "Bonus View", and the addition of internet access is called "BD Live."

So you're correct, "3:10 to Yuma" is not a Profile 1.1 title. It supports BD-J and the bookmark widget.

This also means that the Java VM footprint is a lot larger now (practically in every BD player). I always thought it was only there starting from Profile 1.1. The .1 revision number is also more reasonable with this new piece of info (Profile 1.1 is a minor revision of 1.0).

How do bookmarks work without local storage?

All BD profiles have 64kb of 'persistent memory' which BD-J code can use to store data, but this data is lost when the player terminates disc playback. Possibly useful enough for bookmarks, but not ones you'd be keeping after taking the disc out.

BD profile 1.1 adds a requirement for long-term storage, which enables proper bookmarks to be saved in the player.

Now that Profile 2.0 playback is almost here, Sony should focus on usability next.

Looks like they are already starting. I just got some more blu-rays, on Dogma and Life of Brian the bookmark feature is clearly labelled right on the scene select menu. Green to add a bookmark, red to delete, the other two colors to view them. Looks like they are starting to standardize their bookmarks interface which is nice. Also noticed that new movies are showing an image specific to the movie in the 'video' tab of the ps3 boot screen, instead of the generic blue disc icon. So for example Run Lola Run shows an image of the ever cute Franka along with text specific to the movie.

Looks like they are already starting. I just got some more blu-rays, on Dogma and Life of Brian the bookmark feature is clearly labelled right on the scene select menu. Green to add a bookmark, red to delete, the other two colors to view them. Looks like they are starting to standardize their bookmarks interface which is nice. Also noticed that new movies are showing an image specific to the movie in the 'video' tab of the ps3 boot screen, instead of the generic blue disc icon. So for example Run Lola Run shows an image of the ever cute Franka along with text specific to the movie.

Sony's BDs have been doing this for awhile, but other studios are starting to as well (Disney's Enchanted does). Perhaps new authoring software is out?

I wonder if the icon and title that shows up on the PS3 is due the studios taking advantage of something that was defined in the BD spec, or whether they are just putting a digitally signed PS3 partition onto the disc, and if so, whether Sony has to sign those partitions.

I hope the divx/xvid compatibility also increases. Maybe subtitle support. I have it on my sony dvd player so why not on my PS3 ?

BT device manager added. Nice. Shows all of the registered BT devices (other than controllers) and which ones are currently connected.

My early impressions seem to indicate that the browser is about a billion times faster. To the point where its not just functional, but quite usable and comfortable.

Flash support seems to be improved, but not quite where it needs to be, yet. Audio plays on embedded Gametrailers videos, but no video. GT site itself still indicates the need to update Flash player.

Gamevideos.com works, and video appears to be smooth.

The allow Plug-in prompt is still annoying, but at least its still only once per page (instead of for every plug-in like it first was).

Can now modify some PS3 settings through Remote Play (the Settings Bar used to be completely gone). Under the Remote Play settings you can change where the audio is output, the PS3 or the PSP. Thus, allowing you use the PSP truly as a remote for audio since you won't need to turn the TV on for playback control.

There's a setting to confirm or just enable internet connectivity in the BD settings. From the sounds of it, its allowing you to decide if you want to confirm each time an applicable title connects or just want to allow it automatically.

Can now install, un-installed demos through Remote Play. So, come updates on Thursday, you can download demos remotely while at work and install them, so that they're ready for you when you come home. Very nice.

Resume Start works even if you eject the disc, and turn off the system, turn it back on, and put the disc back in. Haven't tried all possible combinations yet.

Putting in a new disc (video), playing it, turning off the system, and then re-inserting the original seems to drop the placement. I did a DVD, BD mix, which may be a factor, not sure yet.

Mosquito Noise Reduction has 4 settings for DVD playback as with the other filters (Off, 1, 2, 3).

Further Resume Start testing: DVD -> Play -> Eject -> BD Game-> Started -> Ejected -> DVD -> Started Again. Returns to the position I left in the movie. Must be some pattern here. On a side not, Advant Children (what I used for testing) upscaled to just 720p on even a low end LCD looks great.

Noticed this earlier but failed to mention it. When trying to login to PSN, with an update available you're no longer simply denied from login with a message saying to update, you can go straight to the update. That was probably there before, but I just now noticed it, and don't remember it being that way in the early days.

Resume Start Testing: System On -> DVD -> Play -> Eject -> BD Movie -> Play -> Eject -> DVD Back In -> Play -> Placement Lost -> Eject -> BD Movie Back in -> Play -> Placement Lost.

Did the same test with 2 DVDs and got the same results.

Nice summary, Gradthrawn !

I'm posting from PS3. The browser is really fast now. And yes, I still hate the per-page plugin dialog (It has become my #1 irk). Hope that they will improve the Flash support as well as add Crackle video streaming (since it's in Home and also used on the official PS blog).

The BT manager also detected the two BT printers here. :)

Now off to hunt for Easter Eggs.

Nice summary, Gradthrawn !

I'm posting from PS3. The browser is really fast now. And yes, I still hate the per-page plugin dialog (It has become my #1 irk). Hope that they will improve the Flash support as well as add Crackle video streaming (since it's in Home and also used on the official PS blog).

The BT manager also detected the two BT printers here. :)

Now off to hunt for Easter Eggs.

Thanks. :D Still testing (updating my previous post). Let me know your impressions of the DVD playback software if you get a chance, particularly the new Mosquito reduction.

Back