PS3 Firmware 3.0

Make it 2. :devilish:

If we believed the story, it disappeared from the developer firmware a while ago. No idea whether Sony put it back. The rumor got out of hand and caused a horde of PS3 owners to post sh*t (literally !) on EA's forum. [size=-2]Some guy claimed that EA was the one holding up the release.[/size]

I must admit it was rather funny to watch the whole thing escalate.

I think it's pretty easy to guess at this point. Cross-game chat has been implemented for a while (we've heard strong rumours of this), and we've also heard strong rumours of a "premium" PSN service coming. Maybe Sony is waiting for a big enough bucket of features to go along with cross-game chat before they introduce their premium PSN service. You don't want to introduce it for free now, then charge later...

Yes, that's a safe guess and I have seen many assumed so. If this is indeed the case, I hope to see a more network savvy/integrated XMB.

The XMB Chatroom is a godsend. Keen to see Sony extends it further.

I don't know which category the items fall under. The "Update" icon in the picture is really the download-in-progress icon.

Wasn't cross game chat a leak ? Some GAFFers mentioned that it's in the developer firmware for about a year. Has Sony acknowledged it officially ?

It's been a leak, but we've also heard that it would be in the next big firmware update. The story was that it would not show up in 2009, because there would be no major updates in the year. Now we're in 2010, though.

Ha ha, thanks for confirming the "3D Video" options.

I think the PS3 Blog also acknowledged that Sony is working on Cross Game Chat months, if not years, ago.

I suppose I can excuse any delay on cross-game chat if they are tying it in with a PC service release allowing contact between PC and PS3. Otherwise it's just stupid IMO. I don't know that cross-game chat was ever promised, but Sony have always spoken of giving their users want they want, and this has been the most asked for feature. It may be good business to roll it into a premium package, but it's also bad form.

Yes, the PS3 Blog essentially said -- a few times -- that Sony is working on Cross Game Chat, by popular demand. The GAF rumors added that it has been working for a year.

Back