PS3 Firmware 2.7 announced

The problem with voice-chat among many people was pointed out nicely in the post by Arwin when a couple of B3Ders joined him for a chat at his summer place in Home. It's also demonstrated nicely in some online games when you have too many people with mics and everyone wants to speak at the same time. Or the fact that when you have 10 people with mics, at least one of them will have a cheap mic or badly setup, so that you can have every thing that is said multiplied into lots of noise.

Text-chat is simple and works. You can play your game while logged in and still read up on the last few minutes of what the others were typing. Or you can follow it by glancing at the top right every now and then.

Sure, it doesn't eliminate the need to voice-chat with friends while you're playing KillZone and he might be playing LBP, but I do believe, text-chat is a nice-to-have feature that's independant on the positives and negatives that voice-chat offers. Both have a place.

I went and bought the official text pad accessory too. Seems nice except for the "touchpad" type functionality it has which doesn't work that well.

Did you calibrate it? I missed that step at first.

The official chat pad is pretty good but I wish it had a backlight.

I now return you to the PlayStation Three Firmware Two Point Seven Discussion.

(Come on folks, this is B3D :( )

Kieran, I tried access hidefnow.com again.

The videos still don't show when I click on the thumbnails. All the video pages loaded with no video area. However if I refresh the page, the video area will appear (Yay !).

Unfortunately, when I clicked on the play button in the middle of the poster image, I only saw a black video screen. I could hear the audio. The poster image would return once the video finished playing.

Also when the "High" quality video appeared, the 2 links below the video area were "Medium Quality" and "High Quality", implying that I was really playing the "Low Quality" video. The UI may be a little messed up.

same here. I can hear sound but cannot view the vid.

Hmm, I haven't noticed it before either, but can't say that I look there often either.

It could be new as I believe it may be on per game basis. There are a couple of demos that don't have it but newer psn demos do have this option.

If you go to 'Account Management' on the XMB and look at the avatar selection section, it now has the available avatars grouped into a handful of separate categories.

Anyone having problem downing the firmware? I kept on getting "A connection to th server could not be established. (80710723)" after it said that 2.76 was available...Once in a while I would get to the user agreement screen, but once it get to the downloading, it would error out with similar message.

edit: hmm, it might be my wireless as its connection strength is pretty low here.

edit: after fixing my antenna my signal is now very strong (according to my laptop), it's working now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine took forever to download.
I'd guess around 45 minutes.

I haven't really looked at what changed.

Edit: Was playing a little bit of the original DMC and I noticed a little bit of jittering on the HUD.

Better in what way? So far I have found that of my DIVX format files which mplayer on my PC handles fine, the PS3 only recognizes something like 20% to 30% of them. It is definitely no better, possibly worse though I have not really been keep records on that front.

If you are talking quality of playback (for titles that work), I can't watch enough to comment really.

=)

Cheers

Not sure if it because of the latest update, but I noticed that finally, YouTube seems to run smooth via the PS3 browser and stay lip synced more or less throughout the movie...

*very happy*

Back