PS3 firmware 2.60 with Divx 3.11 and Photo Gallery

PS3 Firmware update will be coming soon. We'll find out a more solid date at GDC on the 25th when Insomniac announces their DLC and Patch dates.

PS3 Firmware update will be coming soon. We'll find out a more solid date at GDC on the 25th when Insomniac announces their DLC and Patch dates.

I don't keep up to date with rumours and what-not, but can you expand on this please? :)

Mind you, it's not long to wait...

I don't keep up to date with rumours and what-not, but can you expand on this please? :)

Mind you, it's not long to wait...

Well, it's basically me just putting together a few statements from Insomniac and coming to this conclusion.

When asked why Resistance 2 didn't allow you to log 2 accounts while in split screen, James Stevenson said it was because it wasn't yet in the PS3 Firmware.

Then, Insomniac confirmed that they would be getting that firmware , and we would be able to log 2 accounts in the future.

most recently, Bryan Intihar posted on My Resistance giving us details on patch / DLC information, coming March 25th. He also added that the ability to log in two accounts would be in this patch.

So, I did some math, and came to the conclusion that a new firmware update has to be around sometime before or with this patch :)

Good enough dude. :)

I'll take my GDC thoughts to an appropriate thread...

May not be a firmware update :*( I've been told that the functionality for this may have already been in place since 2.60. Going to try to do some research to see if that's true or not.

I think Jeff Rubenstein wrote off these rumors in one of his comments on the Blog. He mentioned that there is no upgrade in March (well, at that time of the writing).

I think Jeff Rubenstein wrote off these rumors in one of his comments on the Blog. He mentioned that there is no upgrade in March (well, at that time of the writing).

Ugh, really? Was this recently?

Maybe they're wanting to save that $0.16/GB.. ;-)

Earlier this month I think.

I heard 2 rumors.

(A) First, the leaked 2.70 feature list seems to be fake. However, a dev acknowledged that there is (are ?) some worthwhile change(s) in 2.70 but not earth shattering.

(B) There is another rumor that says 2.70 is "normal", but the next one has more bells and whistles.

Either way, it sounds like we should not expect much from 2.70.

The truth turns out to be slightly more interesting than the rumors:
http://scrawlfx.com/2009/03/ps3-firmware-270-mistakenly-released-then-taken-down

Netherlands-gaming site, PS3Hype, has reported that one of their users was downloading firmware update 2.70 on their PlayStation 3 today, only to have it stop at 80%. PS3Hype is guessing that Sony mistakenly put it up for download but then removed it, similar to what happened with Life with PlayStation.

So, if this was true and it did go up, does this mean we can expect an announcement today? Tomorrow?

And here, the rumors seem to be accurate date-wise:
http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/24/gdc...nitely-this-week-developers-got-it-yesterday/

Just got this from a prominent PS3 developer at GDC: “PS3 Firmware 2.70 definitely this week. Developers got it yesterday.”

The update was rumoured to have gone live this afternoon, but was apparently withdrawn.

This source is concrete, kids. Watch for an announcement in the next few days.

patsu said:
Either way, it sounds like we should not expect much from 2.70.

Depends on your needs. There is one feature that I'm happy about because it resolves one of my current big gripes...

I'll wait a while to see if it pans out. I was excited , thinking I had guessed it, but i was wrong earlier :(

Indications are that it's soon (possibly!). I hadn't even given the FW any thought recently. So kudos for bringing the topic to the fore - in my mind at least. :)

Back