PS3 Firmware 2.20

Frankly, it's not your fault. Sony releases features in a piecemeal fashion and then don't organize them properly (so that it's easy to understand for users) afterwards.

If they'd summarized from user perspective and said something like, PSP users will be able to play PS3 media anywhere and in any configuration (Then list the examples). It would be more clear cut. All these terminologies (RemotePlay, remote control, turning PS3 on/off) are meaningless.

As it stands, the press release and the blog has different information. Both are fragmented. It's no wonder many people think Sony devices are hard to use (There might be gaps in the use case too).

* Resume play - last position for the DVD - BR disc is remembered even if other discs have been inserted in between.
I'd much prefer it if they simply made the system remember the disc position after it's turned off. Or better yet, actually make the frikkin' feature work in the first place. I have about half dozen discs that won't resume at all.

I'd much prefer it if they simply made the system remember the disc position after it's turned off. Or better yet, actually make the frikkin' feature work in the first place. I have about half dozen discs that won't resume at all.

It should resume from where you left off (ejected or stopped). This feature is incompatible with BD-J discs for some reason that is unknown to me.

I was told BD-J discs have Bookmarks for resuming/direct access anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
:LOL: I popped a few DVDs into my PS3 right after reading your first post.

Seriously, I watched "3:10 to Yuma" (a BD-J title) last night. I don't know how to use the Bookmark feature. It is like a Myst puzzle or something more convoluted.

This is back to the original VCR era where no adult I knew could program it to record. I hope BDA and the BD-J tool vendors can work with the studios closely to nail the usability issues.

If I have the PS3 remote, does it have direct buttons for setting bookmarks ?

Maybe i'm stupid but I didn't know what "mosquito noise" was. Then I found a website where you can buy a device that also does filtering and where they have some examples. http://www.algolith.com/index.php?id=home_theater&L=0

Kinda neat that they can incorperate such stuff in the PS3.

That's very impressive. I wonder if it'll work with the forthcoming TVPLAY hardware? Trying to watch Rugby, or any fast moving sport, on UK digital TV can be very distracting to watch for all the artefacts. I wasn't considering buying one, since I already own a hard disk recorder, but if this feature is incorporated (and it works) then TVPLAY will be a definite purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
:LOL: I popped a few DVDs into my PS3 right after reading your first post.

Seriously, I watched "3:10 to Yuma" (a BD-J title) last night. I don't know how to use the Bookmark feature. It is like a Myst puzzle or something more convoluted.

This is back to the original VCR era where no adult I knew could program it to record. I hope BDA and the BD-J tool vendors can work with the studios closely to nail the usability issues.

If I have the PS3 remote, does it have direct buttons for setting bookmarks ?

Haven't tried it myself so I may be wrong on this. I believe you can hit the green button on the PS3 remote to set a bookmark when the movie is paused and then the yellow anytime after to return to that bookmark. I'll try it tonight.

Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.

This is a great feature. My PS3 is hooked to my home sound system which runs through both stories of my house. The PS3 is located in the upstairs media room, now I don't have to lug my self up the stairs while listening to music throughout the house anymore. Sony...always trying to make me just a little lazier. ;)

Haven't tried it myself so I may be wrong on this. I believe you can hit the green button on the PS3 remote to set a bookmark when the movie is paused and then the yellow anytime after to return to that bookmark. I'll try it tonight.

Thank you so much. I will happily get a remote if you could confirm (or gimme a PS Eye one, Sony). The PS 3 controller failed as a heavy-duty Blu-ray remote.

You're probably using the "Organize Content" option. XMB will look into one of the fields to file your movies. The "Unknown" folder will be used if your selected field is empty. If you turn it off, it will go back to a linear list.

This is not quite what I am saying. I just went to check it out, and whats happening is when I rip some CD's, some tracks from that CD will go into an album named 'Unknown' instead of going into the correct album with the rest of the tracks. The only way I can get them back is to move them onto my flash stick and copy them back into the correct folder.

I see. What is your view/organize setting ? Did you check the metadata for the misfiled tracks ? Are they the same as the rest ? Does it only happen for a particular CD ? It does sound like a bug so far.

My music are all digital files before I copied them to the PS3. So I have not encountered this problem (yet ?).

Thank you so much. I will happily get a remote if you could confirm (or gimme a PS Eye one, Sony). The PS 3 controller failed as a heavy-duty Blu-ray remote.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. I tried on POTC 2 and 3 but couldn't get it to work. Looks like the BD-J bookmarking feature is on a title by title basis.

IIRC 3:10 to Yuma isn't actually a BD-J (Profile 1.1) release. It was announced as such, but not released with it.

Back