PS3 firmware 2.60 with Divx 3.11 and Photo Gallery

rounin

Veteran
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/20/upcoming-ps3-firmware-v260-update/

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

* Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Video at the link

I'm confused about Divx versioning. Aren't they at 7? Was the problem that the PS3 couldn't play an older version of the format?

I think 3.11 was a community extension (Not sure if it's part of the official DivX specs, probably not).

The photo app looks neat ! This is what I'm talking about. ^_^
Media management (e.g., search, recommendation, import/export, organizing/tagging, auto-tagging) is a key service. They should net-enable the media gallery in the future (upload to some popular photo sites). That way my friends and family can see 'em.

Hopefully Sony will introduce similar features for music, videos and web pages. While they are at it, they should consolidate the UI too. Go go go !

I was reading somewhere that Divx 7 or whatever the latest version is can now play .mkv files...so does that mean the PS3 can now play .mkv files as well?

That's what I said above. ^_^

If they are that thorough, to include 3.11 support; then I am hopeful for mkv support.

I am more keen to use the photo features. They should really add network file system support to XMB. That way I can use the same tool to organize and show photos on other HDDs.

Speaking of the Photo Gallery...guess I no longer have to get a Minidisplay to HDMI for my Macbook since all I wanted to do was view my pictures on a big screen.

More changes according to: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14448051&postcount=86

- 3-D Secure Support: 3-D secure of credit cards are now supported (whatever that means).

- XMB Theme Support on Blu-ray movie discs. You can apparently download themes from BD movies. The first movie to have this feature will be "Pineapple Express".

- HDD game data can be deleted during gameplay if the HDD becomes full.

- Safe Mode. A warning is added to mention to "Restore Default Settings" apparently when the PS3 needs to.

Many pirate copies of movies, and old clips used the famous 3.11. I remember sitting up for a long nights and marvel at the quality that could be achieved.

3.11 Support is a boost for the DiVX support.

MKV is just a container, but if they add support for that many will rejoice in the "scene", they just need to add DTS support to the XMB as well.

Speaking of the Photo Gallery...guess I no longer have to get a Minidisplay to HDMI for my Macbook since all I wanted to do was view my pictures on a big screen.

When I tried viewing some photos through the PS3 which came from my iPhoto collection, it seemed meh. I realize this Photo Gallery thing may have more features now but mainly I cared about it scaling the pics to fit my HDTV screen.

Slide shows with music would have been nice.

But now, iPhoto '09 is making me think of getting that Mini HDMI to HDMI cable (I have an older MacBook) because of features like Faces, Places (I've been wanting to geotag for a long time) and the slick slide show themes which you can export to iPhone/iPod Touch.

Or a second-generation Apple TV.

I don't see transferring gigs and gigs of media to the PS3. That and the fact that Remote.app on the iPhone is a slick way to control iTunes and AppleTV. I'm going to get an Airport Express just because of Remote.app.

I was looking at photos on my ps3 yesterday and they looked really muddy, like they were low res. I'm not sure why. I have my PC and my PS3 hooked up to the same display (1920x1200). On the PC my photos looked sharp and on the PS3 they looked like they were blocky as if they were zoomed in, but they weren't. I don't plan on looking at photos on my PS3 anyway, but I thought it was weird.

I don't see transferring gigs and gigs of media to the PS3. That and the fact that Remote.app on the iPhone is a slick way to control iTunes and AppleTV. I'm going to get an Airport Express just because of Remote.app.

Can't you just stream the photos with media center software?

Yeah, remote.app is really slick. My friend has a modded AppleTV and it seems cool. I'm hoping the mac mini and apple tv get rolled into one some time this spring .... A man can dream, can't he?

When I tried viewing some photos through the PS3 which came from my iPhoto collection, it seemed meh. I realize this Photo Gallery thing may have more features now but mainly I cared about it scaling the pics to fit my HDTV screen.

But now, iPhoto '09 is making me think of getting that Mini HDMI to HDMI cable (I have an older MacBook) because of features like Faces, Places (I've been wanting to geotag for a long time) and the slick slide show themes which you can export to iPhone/iPod Touch.

That is if you live in an apple world. I would love the PS3 to support Picassaweb, the Face Recognition feature makes name tagging extremely fast and effective. Added with the PS3 Photo Gallery it would be a real toy for Family Albums, with names :)

I hope they also fixed the sound channel problem. If I'm playing a 2-channel audio file (e.g. anything ripped from a CD), I want the PS3 to drop to a 2.0 channel profile instead of staying on a 5.1 profile and pumping silence through the unused channels. This defeats the stereo-to-multichannel mixing of my amp.

Weird...I just checked my PS3 to update it.
It says I have the latest version, I haven't updated it for at least a month.

If the original photos are low res, then PS3 simply scales it up without enhancements.
If you have photos taken from newer cameras, then the resolution should be high enough even for zoom.

The PS3 is also a very fast and convenient tool to rotate photos (due to the way the UI/controller "constrained" hand movements).

Viewing photos on SD TV is ugly though.

That's already possible for more than a year. :D
You get to pick the slide show modes. My favorite is "Portrait" (which would zoom and pan w.r.t. faces -- or sometimes boobs :devilish: -- in the pictures)

Yap ! I have a Mac laptop but it's too mobile to be used as a family media PC.

With PS3MediaServer (or any uPnP/DLNA server), you don't have to copy the photos to the PS3. You may not be able to use the new Photo Gallery app though. Right now, I use the PS3 as a working cache. All the media remain on a NAS.

Don't think it's out yet. The blog entry was a heads up.

It kills me that we don't get full release notes. Seems another issue where you change your password and then no longer receive trophies is fixed. This is confirmed by NurbFurble on the EU forums.

Last update was Dec 2 :D Most likely this will be released tonight. Can't tell you the time though.

Must've misunderstood then. I thought the post here were from people that had updated.

I checked out the vid, the new photo gallery appears to be pretty cool. It would be great if they implemented something similar to party sharing so that you can do this online with friends easily.

Back