PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

I've been playing high-definition MPG4 files that say AVC on them for a while now. They are 720p and converted from mkv by way of PS9video.

To clarify: this is native high profile support. PS9video's method of remuxing will be made obsolete thanks to this update. What redkawa does:
-demux streams
-adjust profile flag within the bitstream to MP 4.1, resulting in the PS3 believing that the file it's dealing with is a MP 4.1 (as opposed to HP 5.1) AVC stream.
-remux into the mp4 container

The second step is a simple hex hack; it works, but it's not a guaranteed answer. Moreover you're automatically barring yourself of the greater feature set that HP 5.1 provides (that PS3 did not support in software until now).

To clarify: this is native high profile support. PS9video's method of remuxing will be made obsolete thanks to this update. What redkawa does:
-demux streams
-adjust profile flag within the bitstream to MP 4.1, resulting in the PS3 believing that the file it's dealing with is a MP 4.1 (as opposed to HP 5.1) AVC stream.
-remux into the mp4 container

The second step is a simple hex hack; it works, but it's not a guaranteed answer. Moreover you're automatically barring yourself of the greater feature set that HP 5.1 provides (that PS3 did not support in software until now).

Sorry, but I am completely ignorant on MP4/AV/ issues. Does this mean that I can play .mkv files on PS3 without conversion?

Ah, probably not; PS3 will still probably only accept mp4/avc (or something around the same standard). MKV support remains to be planned/announced. What it does mean is that redkawa can update their PS3video9 software to simply do a remux (no bitstream modifications or anything) to MP4, and you'll be able to play your high profile encodes as they were intended. :)

Ah, probably not; PS3 will still probably only accept mp4/avc (or something around the same standard). MKV support remains to be planned/announced. What it does mean is that redkawa can update their PS3video9 software to simply do a remux (no bitstream modifications or anything) to MP4, and you'll be able to play your high profile encodes as they were intended. :)

Awesome. Then they should get on it :devilish: The advantage of this announcements a few days in advance is that it lets companies like redkawa have their updates ready by the time the new firmware hits. Which means I could be watching HD heroes on my PS3 very soon and that I like.

Thats boring....

But let me get this straight : the end result of me using PS9video with firmware 1.80 is that my videos will be lower quality than me using PS9video with firmware 1.82?

Well, I don't know what this update did, but it made no difference to Nero MediaHome. MPEG-2 is still the only format that works, MPEG-4 and its variants all show up as "Unsupported Data" on the PS3 1.82...

Well, I don't know what this update did, but it made no difference to Nero MediaHome. MPEG-2 is still the only format that works, MPEG-4 and its variants all show up as "Unsupported Data" on the PS3 1.82...

That is to be expected? Or are you sure that nero actually provides .mp4 files that are supported by ps3? I would think that the transcoder part in nero mediahome needs to be updated so that it transcodes (actually remuxes) the content again to be in the right container format for ps3. This should be good news if it works as remuxing is much cheaper and gives better quality than actually transcoding on the fly.

Any news/tests somewhere if the .mkv or other mpeg4 containers can be remuxed more reliably than before to .mp4 that is understood new firmware ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is to be expected? Or are you sure that nero actually provides .mp4 files that are supported by ps3? I would think that the transcoder part in nero mediahome needs to be updated so that it transcodes (actually remuxes) the content again to be in the right container format for ps3. This should be good news if it works as remuxing is much cheaper and gives better quality than actually transcoding on the fly.

Nero MediaHome is supposedly DLNA-certified and MPEG4 is a standard. I tried to find out exactly what format MediaHome sends the data as, but all I know is it's "MPEG-4". As far as I know, looking at Nero Recode standards, it's MPEG4 5.1, which was supposed to be supported now.

I think some testing is needed but I at least am at work still so no chance to test.

It could be that
* Nero doesn't serve (proper) mp4 files at ps3. I.e. patch needed to nero so so that it detects correctly which formats ps3 supports
* PS3 plain bluntly doesn't support mp4 format in question at all
* PS3 doesn't support streaming of that mp4 format (works only from hard drive)
* PS3 is very picky about how the mp4 file is encoded, bitrate, resolution, encoding options
* Transoding happens too slow or something similar that timeouts/screws up the client/server connection and communication

What I would start experimenting with is encoding single video clip to different formats with various parameters and try playback those from ps3's internal hard drive. After seeing what works and doesn't work I would try to stream the working files from server and see which of those working file formats are streamable. Lastly I would setup proper transcoding to server to the best working streamable format (server computing power permitting).

It could be that
* Nero doesn't serve (proper) mp4 files at ps3. I.e. patch needed to nero so so that it detects correctly which formats ps3 supports
* PS3 plain bluntly doesn't support mp4 format in question at all
* PS3 doesn't support streaming of that mp4 format (works only from hard drive)
* PS3 is very picky about how the mp4 file is encoded, bitrate, resolution, encoding options
* Transoding happens too slow or something similar that timeouts/screws up the client/server connection and communication
The last one isn't it, I believe. The computer that's hosting this is a Core 2 Quad @ 2.9GHz and 4GB of RAM, connected via 100Mbps LAN. With MPEG4 transcoding selected, the names of the files don't even show up in the viewer, just "Unsupported Data".

When I encode to MPEG4 from Nero (using Nero Recode), and put the files as "keep original format", they do show up in the listing as valid files (likely due to the .mp4 extension), complete with a thumbnail image. However, when I select the video, there's a 3-4 second pause, then a "Data is corrupt" message on the PS3 for all such videos.

The only MPEG4 videos I can successfully play over the stream are ones encoded for "Nero Portable" (iPod compatible),which are simple profiles I believe.

Back