[PS3] Blu ray playback tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to continue the derail, but tkf, I think you have some misinformation in your post:
About the studio support:

Supporting Blu-ray Disc exclusively: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Lionsgate Home Entertainment, and the first adult content studio to declare, Digital Playground.

Supporting HD DVD exclusively: Universal Studios Home Entertainment and The Weinstein Company Home Entertainment.
More than one studio has already released adult content on HD DVD, one from Japan and at least one from outside Japan. I'm not going to look up their websites at work :smile:, but there are separate threads about each on AVS in the HD DVD Software forum.

Hardware:

Supporting Blu-ray Disc exclusively: Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Philips, and Sharp.

Supporting HD DVD exclusively: Toshiba, RCA. (And Microsoft now)

Supporting both formats: LG Electronics.

Sanyo publicly demonstrated an HD DVD player at CES (which puts them on the same footing as Pioneer and Sharp, none of which have released yet).

HP's has publicly shown a standalone HD DVD recorder, and HP's external PC drive is releasing shortly, so HP should also be listed on the same footing as Pioneer and Sharp.

Samsung is currently selling laptops with HD DVD in them, so regardless of their public statements about Blu-Ray, reality is that they are currently supporting both formats.

Five other companies currently sell laptops with HD DVD in them. Although all of the drives are built by Toshiba, I don't think this matters for the purpose of listing CE support, since your Blu-Ray list has similar "duplicates".

Please correct me if you have counter-information about any of these.

:oops: Man, you need to learn what the hell you're talking about...VC1 would use a lower bitrate to achieve the same quality as MPEG 2, that's the entire point of using a better codec. So you can use lower bitrates! I know, it's crazy eh!?

Sorry bub it does not archive the same quality, different compressions give always different results, different type of artifact compression, ecc, you will never have the same exact image quality from Vc1 and mpeg2, and Mpeg2 at hi enough bitrate have better quality then vc1 at low bitrate, as proved by Black Hawk down.

I gotta need say nothing to prove what i say as is a fact that this movie have better video quality than any hd-dvd movie.

Obviously he has absolutely no clue.
Yer really gotta special class in school

Last edited by a moderator:
Cuz it does not, as prooved by Black Hawk Down that look better than any hd-dvd movie.

Cuz i want the best quality i can get, and Balck Hawk Down beat any hd-dvd in video quality.

Keep telling yourself that, if you repeat it 50 more times it might make it true.

Tell me, what do yout think of King Kong? Just curious :p

The whole point of BRD was for Sony to provide a new format using Mpeg2, get everyone on board and make tons off royalties: both codec and each disc and player produced.

That's quite a bit extreme. You don't think Sony can make money from blue diodes ? and the Hi-Def movies ? and the Blu-ray PC drives ? MPG 2 is just part of the formula. I don't think it's compulsory for all to use. How water-tight is that scenario as a real business case ?

Do you really think the rest of the Blu-ray supporters, including Apple, will just sit there and let Sony lead them by the nose ?

It was the "perfect" scenario. The sole use of Mpeg2 also made BD50 necessary. Then the DVDforum shoot out occured and VC-1 won out over Mpeg2 and AVC, in that order.

With HD-DVD having dual layer discs at 30Gb. It's only "fair" that BDA roll out a dual layer format @ 50Gb to compete. It's unlikely that the *only* reason for 50Gb is MPEG2. The AVS forum held a lot of beliefs within its own world... but I don't think it's opinion is universal and always accurate.

After that, HDi was heavily picked over Java for the interactivity layer. Afraid that MS would have full software control over Blu Ray, BR camp did everything imaginable to keep VC-1 out, even though MS submitted VC-1 to SMTPE and let them decide how to manage the codec.

Do you really have proofs or first-hand experiences that the BR camp did everything imaginable to keep VC-1 out or is it just forum posting ? For what it's worth the italicized statement contradict with your own paragraph below...

They conducted independent testing of AVC HP in the BR Working group and MS was not even invited :) Same for Java. At this point they decided to drop VC-1 from the BR spec but Warner and Paramount were going to pull their support. It was a huge mess. Panasonic were so convinced that their AVC HP encoder would be King and VC-1 would be dropped that they built their first BR player without VC-1 support. Warner and Paramount held their ground and MS had to promise equal VC-1 support to both formats. VC-1 was reluctantly added again.

Aren't Warner and Paramount part of the BDA (BR Camp) ? So there is a rigorous internal fight to decide what codecs to be included in the specs (because it means money). In the end, BR camp did include VC-1. Period.

HD-DVD is a lot simpler as a consortium (mostly just MS and Toshiba as technology driver). So I presume there is no exciting story to tell.

As for Java over HDi, we can clearly see that the number of Java authored titles is even LESS than the number of BD50 titles out there! Even more interesting is that Sony proprietary "Blu Wizard" does not use Java either! Infact, it was quiet clear that Java was no where ready to be used that they had to have 2 specs of Java, one being BD-J which is very basic and mandatory now and one being BD-Live which includes PiP and Online interactivity. BD-Live is not mandatory until June 2007 thus you don't see any BR player (aside PS3) with even an ethernet port. This is also why HD DVD titles have PiP commentary where as none of the BR titles do.

Java is a lot more complex and flexible than HDi. So it's not surprising that it takes longer to include. I don't know whether Java will make a difference in the future.

For Java support, 2 titles already use them since Nov 14, "Speed" and "Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen": http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6383321.html?industryid=43290&industry=New+Tech

For PiP Java support:
"The Descent" will launched on 26 Dec.

It took a while, but it seems like they are coming. Again I don't know where the future lies... but at least we are starting to see some action now.

Fast forward and the BR camp broke off the DVD forum and created the BR Working Group. At this point AVC took some of the VC-1 features, added it to the spec and "AVC HP (high profile)" was born.

Isn't VC-1 built on top of MPEG work in the first place ? And VC-1 has to pay 15 other MPEG 2 patent holders for the license pool. What specific VC-1 features did AVC group take ?

FWIW, had the BR Camp listened to their own Technical working group and picked HDi over Java, MS would be 100% neutral in this war. :)

And then MS went ahead and pushed HD-DVD...

HDi seems to be based on HTML DOM, which is another standard. Will MS really gain that much with HDi suport ? Why would they become 100% neutral in this war ?

There were also much FUDs about 50Gb, AVC and BR's playback capability. Really I'm not too interested in these standards fights and politics. The reviewers like what they see. Bring out the Blu-ray content already !

Sorry bub it does not archive the same quality, different compressions give different results, you will never have the same exact image quality, and Mpeg2 at hi bitrate have better quality then vc1 , as prooved by Black Hawk down.

Look man I have a PS3 and have seen Black Hawk Down on it. Yes it freaking beautiful (Batman Begins is lovely too on Blu-ray), but King Kong also looks lovely on the HD-DVD add on.

I'm not sure if it's encoded with the VC-1 codec, but just give up. PLEASE!

That's quite a bit extreme. You don't think Sony can make money from blue diodes ? and the Hi-Def movies ? and the Blu-ray PC drives ? MPG 2 is just part of the formula. I don't think it's compulsory for all to use. How water-tight is that scenario as a real business case ?

Initially BD was a Mpeg2 format only. Every little bit helps. Sony has majority of the Mpeg2 patents. You can look it up on Mpeg-La site.

Do you really think the rest of the Blu-ray supporters, including Apple, will just sit there and let Sony lead them by the nose ?

They have nothing to gain or lose. At this point was HD DVD was pretty inferior. I believe it even had another name (can't recall). From recollection, that spec was pitiful compared to the HD DVD spec of today.

Do you really have proofs or first-hand experiences that the BR camp did everything imaginable to keep VC-1 out or is it just forum posting ? For what it's worth the italicized statement contradict with your own paragraph below...

Aren't Warner and Paramount part of the BDA (BR Camp) ? So there is a rigorous internal fight to decide what codecs to be included in the specs (because it means money). In the end, BR camp did include VC-1. Period.

Warner and Paramount were HD DVD exclusive in the beginning. One of their conditions for going neutral was going having VC-1 added to the spec. This way they use the same encodes for both formats as Warner is currently doing now that Sony supports VC-1 authoring. Earlier they did not thus you saw Warner have Mpeg2 titles for BR and VC-1 for HD DVD. Titles that were authored early but held back for release could still come out as Mpeg2 on one and VC-1 on the other.

Java is a lot more complex and flexible than HDi. So it's not surprising that it takes longer to include. I don't know whether Java will make a difference in the future.

For Java support, 2 titles already use them since Nov 14, "Speed" and "Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen": http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6383321.html?industryid=43290&industry=New+Tech

For PiP Java support:
"The Descent" will launched on 26 Dec.

It took a while, but it seems like they are coming. Again I don't know where the future lies... but at least we are starting to see some action now.

But was this complexity really necessary? During the life span of these formats will we really see huge advancements by using Java that HDi can't achieve? We'll certainly be here to see. I'm not sure how important having a Java game on a movie disc to be played with the remote control is for the consumer......Yes, it's nice to see it coming along and it'll be interesting to see how well it competes not against HDi but against Blu Wizard :)

Isn't VC-1 built on top of MPEG work in the first place ? And VC-1 has to pay 15 other MPEG 2 patent holders for the license pool. What specific VC-1 features did AVC group take ?

VC-1 is an evolution of WMV which perhaps takes elments from Mpeg also. AVS insiders would be more fit to give you details. Net-net they're still all unique.

And then MS went ahead and pushed HD-DVD...

HDi seems to be based on HTML DOM, which is another standard. Will MS really gain that much with HDi suport ? Why would they become 100% neutral in this war ?

Yes, HDi is based off Web technologies but MS owns the software suite.

There were also much FUDs about 50Gb, AVC and BR's playback capability. Really I'm not too interested in these standards fights and politics. The reviewers like what they see. Bring out the Blu-ray content already !

Both formats are very good. Some people just can't get over that and have to declare a winner. As soon as I get a PS3, I'll be neutral myself. If anything, I'm more worried about Xbox Live style services putting an end to both formats before they even become mainstream. However I firmly stand behind VC-1 and after seeing Posiden HD off XBox Live, my supports continues to grow for it.

My information is from following the "war" on avsforum for quite some time now and reading back on the threads (yes, work is boring :p). I try to do my best to dissect the bias but it is interesting when you receive PM's from neutral insiders regarding the subject at hand :)

Both formats are very good. Some people just can't get over that and have to declare a winner. As soon as I get a PS3, I'll be neutral myself. If anything, I'm more worried about Xbox Live style services putting an end to both formats before they even become mainstream. However I firmly stand behind VC-1 and after seeing Posiden HD off XBox Live, my supports continues to grow for it.

Yep both formats are really really really great. I just wish one will die already (obviously I'm hoping HD-DVD dies being that I have a PS3 "hey it's natural for me to feel like this"). We only need one format and the longer this war last the worst its chances are that they will succeed.

He's reviewing the PS3 on what it does now. It does not upconvert DVDs unfortunately. And no 1080i is a huge problem. A lot of people don't have 1080p sets and won't be able to take advantage of 1080 lines of resolution without a 1080i option. Using a controller is terribly clunky compared to a remote.

Also I have Xmen 3 on PS3 and the BluRay menu seems to stutters whenever I pull it up during the movie. Does it do that for anyone else? I know on the HD-DVD Add-on its a smooth transition when I pull up menus.

My Xmen 3 does not stutter what soever.

Yep both formats are really really really great. I just wish one will die already (obviously I'm hoping HD-DVD dies being that I have a PS3 "hey it's natural for me to feel like this"). We only need one format and the longer this war last the worst its chances are that they will succeed.

The only reason I'm going neutral is because this "war" won't be over anytime soon! :smile:

I agree, it's waste of time to tackle these FUDs unless your are a BDA member company, it's unbelievable only 3 months ago there were people who claim 50GB BD is impossible for market release...

Initially BD was a Mpeg2 format only. Every little bit helps. Sony has majority of the Mpeg2 patents. You can look it up on Mpeg-La site.

They have nothing to gain or lose. At this point was HD DVD was pretty inferior. I believe it even had another name (can't recall). From recollection, that spec was pitiful compared to the HD DVD spec of today.

Warner and Paramount were HD DVD exclusive in the beginning. One of their conditions for going neutral was going having VC-1 added to the spec. ... Titles that were authored early but held back for release could still come out as Mpeg2 on one and VC-1 on the other.

So why is it BR's fault for including MPEG 2 at the beginning if HD-DVD specs was inferior ? If BDA accepted VC-1 to buy over 2 more major studios, how valid is the claim that "BR Camp try everything imaginable to keep VC-1" out ? I don't see how feasible it is at all. Sony does not own BDA. Studios and other board members will object if the decision does not make sense.

But was this complexity really necessary? During the life span of these formats will we really see huge advancements by using Java that HDi can't achieve? We'll certainly be here to see. I'm not sure how important having a Java game on a movie disc to be played with the remote control is for the consumer......Yes, it's nice to see it coming along and it'll be interesting to see how well it competes not against HDi but against Blu Wizard :)

You said it yourself. Blu-ray PiP is in Java. If PiP is a great feature (since it's highlighted in your last post), then Blu-J has an advantage over Blu-Wizard assuming it performs well. Since you can't point out specific reasons why Blu-J is a bad idea, then why downplay it ? PS3 is an inexpensive BR player with or without Java (Well, Blu-ray Live is coming too).

I remember you had doubts about the arrival of 50Gb BR disc, high-quality MPEG-2 playback quality, 40Mbps streaming capability of PS3 Blu-ray playback, and most recently Java-enabled BR titles. They are all here now. I worry (for you) that you worry too much. :)

VC-1 is an evolution of WMV which perhaps takes elments from Mpeg also. AVS insiders would be more fit to give you details. Net-net they're still all unique.

VC-1 licensees don't pay the 15 MPEG patent holders for nothing. ;)
Conversely, if MS does not pay MPEG-LA for the use of WMV codecs, we may also be able to conclude that VC-1 is different from traditional WMV coders.

Yes, HDi is based off Web technologies but MS owns the software suite.

That's just an implementation. Someone else can do a HDi authoring tool too.

Good for you ! Don't worry. The world is big enough for both online and offline playback.
If you were picky about Blu-ray MPEG 2 playback quality, I'm sure you can find faults with the downloaded HD movies too.

My information is from following the "war" on avsforum for quite some time now and reading back on the threads (yes, work is boring :p). I try to do my best to dissect the bias but it is interesting when you receive PM's from neutral insiders regarding the subject at hand :)

Well... how can you tell an "insider" is neutral, or who he says he is in the forum ? It's already hard enough to tell in real-life. But that's your problem and none of my business. So pardon me for asking.

Since this is a PS3 BluRay thread in the console forum, there're only two options left:

A) this thread gets back on topic

B) this thread gets locked

lol, ever get that feeling like you're smashing your face against a brick wall? :devilish:

Some people are just better left to believe whatever they wanna believe...

Actually, authoug his language and his trolling attutitude is pretty annoyng, supervegeta got a solid point.

Begin a movie director and director of photograpy myself i can only confirm that a 50gb disc is surely more likely to be able to preserve more the photography, using mpeg2, then a 30gb disc using Vc1.

I dont know why his comment got deleted, but i dont find so hard to beleave that the black hawk down transfert is more close to the 35mm film print than the king kong transfert.

Bye,
Ventresca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back