PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

Titanio

Legend
Lovely news! It's coming tomorrow. Also, not mentioned in the headline - remote play via PSP will be enabled over the internet :D

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2007/5/23-52

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Wow. So that DNLA jobby on Linux is suddenly looking redundant?

Quite so..at least for media player functionality. I guess if you want your PS3 to act as a DLNA media server that could still be useful (there's no word on that in the release..although remote play via your PSP over the web fulfils a similar purpose as far as your PSP is concerned!)

Wow. So that DNLA jobby on Linux is suddenly looking redundant?

Nah, as it can act a a server in the Linux scenario. More importantly, perhaps, is that SCE will probably never support codecs such as Divx, while there's potential for that on the Linux front.

P.S. I'm still calling BS on the update until I see it on my PS3. :D That way, there's no letdown if it doesn't come through.

Holy crap! It's too good to be true!

I want to see an actually Sony press release. But I god I hope I will have all these features by the 24th.

That would be a HUGE update if true.

By the way I always asked this question but no one answers. Does remote play mean I ll also be able to play my PS3 games on my PSP or does this work only for media such as movies photos and music

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4372&NewsAreaID=2

I wonder if downloadable PSone/PS2 games will also be upscaleable now..

Also, what (DLNA) software do I need on my PC to allow it to stream media to my PS3?

That could be faked, I'm still calling BS. :LOL:

Interesting notes:

1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.
2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.
3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see
http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Number 2 in particular. They make no mention of a PS3 powered up and set for Remote Play.

I wonder if downloadable PSone/PS2 games will also be upscaleable now..
One would guess so, as it ought to be a scaler picking up the video out of the game/media player, unless they've combined upscaling individually into the player and emulators.

Number 2 in particular. They make no mention of a PS3 powered up and set for Remote Play.

It wouldn't surprise me if in it's first incarnation, the functionality required that. That being the case, the next step would be for it not to be set for remote play, and the next step after that would be a low power sleep mode.

I kind of wish I had a PAL PS3 now. Can't play my DVDs on my Japanese PS3 :/ The DVD upscaling, from what was discussed before, should be quality.

It wouldn't surprise me if in it's first incarnation, the functionality required that. That being the case, the next step would be for it not to be set for remote play, and the next step after that would be a low power sleep mode.
That would seem to be a logical progression. I'm interested in how they plan on handling idle applications like Folding and other future distributed computing systems.

I kind of wish I had a PAL PS3 now. Can't play my DVDs on my Japanese PS3 :/ The DVD upscaling, from what was discussed before, should be quality.
I wonder if they rushed the upscaling DVD software to appease people, or finished up the advanced method we read about sometime ago, with x.v.YCC support. EDIT [Am I confusing Deep Color with the xvYCC colorspace?]

B3D Discussion(Credit to one)
Currently there are complaints from users about non-existent DVD upscaling in the PS3. As for the interlace-to-progressive conversion before upscaling, the current player has it already. There was a team at the division for broadcast equipments at Sony that does research for improving image quality by using the NVIDIA shader language. They ported it onto RSX. After Cell does noise reduction and other filters, RSX does interlace-to-progressive conversion. Though the current algorithm has bugs for some video sources, SCE says the conversion precision will be upgraded by future updates. Also the noise reduction filter is currently optimized for video sources with relatively many MPEG noises recorded with a video recorder. SCE knows lack of picture details because of it and will provide new default values for noise reduction by checking recording formats and media IDs for DVD discs. As for upscaling, they are doing the research to develop a high-quality multi-tap upscaling filter that balances the load between Cell and RSX. They also plan to use the non-original luminance information generated in upscaling for HDMI 1.3 deep color.

With this update, I'm running out of stuff to b*tch about. :D Hmmm.... the scaler, yeah the scaler! Fix the internal scaler Sony!! Oh, and Master audio codecs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting notes:

No. While that won't mean it's not required, I think they should see a huge potential for, say, leaving the PS3 on with Folding@Home with the added benefit of being able to taking it over with the PSP for a remote session.

Not that I think Remote Play works great right now - it's still a tad sluggish. But who knows there are improvements in that area too.

And yes, it looks almost too good to be true. It's almost like a new Sony. :) It must be helping that the 360 and PS3 (and Wii) are forcing each other to bring their A-game. :D

That would be a HUGE update if true.

By the way I always asked this question but no one answers. Does remote play mean I ll also be able to play my PS3 games on my PSP or does this work only for media such as movies photos and music

It only works for movies, photos, music.

There is not a single PS3 game yet that has PSP interaction as far as I know. Probably the SDKs for doing that either have not been released or were only recently released.

I hope this is real, I just started FFXII and would love to see some IQ enhancement. I don't care about DVD upscaling or PSP stuff.

Interesting notes:

It's now on threespeech.

Interesting thought: use DLNA and a loopback connection to access media in games if the OS doesn't currently provide it.

So id DNLA a software solution? Or is it something that requires additional hardware on the PC?

It's a software solution. There's even a DLNA media server in development for PS3 Linux.

There seems to be a number of different options available out there in terms of software..I wonder which will be best for streaming to PS3.

Does Windows Media Centre Edition support DNLA? Would an existing Media PC be a suitable server to PS3's client? Running PS3 as a home server doesn't make as much sense to me as having it as a client - You wouldn't want the folks upstairs to be connecting to your PS3 to stream movies while your playing Heavenly Sword!

Last edited by a moderator:
It only works for movies, photos, music[, the PSN store, and the web browser.]

The only significance of this is that you can start downloads from the PSN store (demos or games, for example) or from the internet remotely, and they'll be there waiting for you when you get to your PS3. BG downloading also works via Remote Play. In its current implementation, that is.

Does Windows Media Centre Edition support DNLA? Would an existing Media PC be a suitable server to PS3's client?

Someone on GAF said that MCE is DLNA compliant, but I haven't checked that myself.

It may thus be well suited to act as a server for PS3. But other software may offer other features, or better features. I guess we'll have to compare..there are a variety of solutions out there for PC.

Back