Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Considering two other sources have MP3 scored as high, I don't think your complaint is necessarily valid in this case. ;)
Neither of the other two are really reputable. Might be the case, we'll see.

As for SMS and ED, I really liked those games and thought they deserved the score. To each his own. :p
Judging from your clear brand loyalties (your title under your name), I'm not surprised.

So I guess you can't trust any review online, ever. Self-defeating no?

As for "brand loyalties", I didn't like F-Zero GX on the gamecube all that much, and I didn't particularly like Animal Crossing.

But hey, I'm just a blind brand loyal fanboy because I happened to like games you didn't like. :rolleyes:

So I guess you can't trust any review online, ever. Self-defeating no?

As for "brand loyalties", I didn't like F-Zero GX on the gamecube all that much, and I didn't particularly like Animal Crossing.

But hey, I'm just a blind brand loyal fanboy because I happened to like games you didn't like. :rolleyes:
No, that's not it at all. I just find there's a certain group of people that seem enjoy virtually anything and everything Nintendo puts its name on. I am not one of those people, but I usually find people who take the time to put a specific system three times in their user title may not be the most impartial judge of the quality relative to everything else out on the market.

Scott: More well-established review sites, such as Gamespot. And no, in no way do I agree with every review on every site.

No, that's not it at all. I just find there's a certain group of people that seem enjoy virtually anything and everything Nintendo puts its name on. I am not one of those people, but I usually find people who take the time to put a specific system three times in their user title may not be the most impartial judge of the quality relative to everything else out on the market.

Scott: More well-established review sites, such as Gamespot. And no, in no way do I agree with every review on every site.

I usually check metacritic and look at the overall collected review scores and sample some of the bad and good to get an idea. I wouldn't completely dismiss IGN though. All of those people are most definitely fanboys of whatever system they're reviewing on, but they still make some valid points in their reviews. Maybe they put the blinders on to faults to a certain degree, but they're not totally worthless. If IGN gives something above a 9, it's usually a solid game, even though you might only give it a 7 or 8.

Well that's just dumb. Obviously it's a play on Romeo & Juliet and the difficulty with finding a Wii in stock anywhere. :rolleyes:

When the 360 or PS3 have those problems, I'll put them in my title as well.

So if gamespot comes out with a 9 or higher I guess you'll find something else to complain about eh?

I usually check metacritic and look at the overall collected review scores and sample some of the bad and good to get an idea. I wouldn't completely dismiss IGN though. All of those people are most definitely fanboys of whatever system they're reviewing on, but they still make some valid points in their reviews. Maybe they put the blinders on to faults to a certain degree, but they're not totally worthless. If IGN gives something above a 9, it's usually a solid game, even though you might only give it a 7 or 8.

I tend to check gamerankings myself. Same idea though.

I don't swallow a 9 in replay / "lasting appeal". I don't care if you can play a 2nd time or that it is 20 hours, replayability means there needs to be a draw to experience something new or rewarding. Games with 100s, if not 1000s of hours of replay are 8s, 9s, and 10s. 2x through single player isn't very high in my book. They gave Madden 08 a 9 on the Wii for lasting appeal too. Yet Madden has a full season and franchise mode, over 20 min-game modes with various competition settings, family mode, SP & MP as well as online play. Since scores are NOT an average of the sub-categories, I only see one reason why Metroid got a 9 in lasting appeal.

Heh, I have to agree with you there. IGN gave Bioshock a 9 in lasting appeal as well and well I've not even been able to get up the urge to even go through Bioshock a second time for the other ending.

How is Gamespot more "well-established?" They tend to give lower scores to Nintendo games than everyone else, but I've also seen reviewers give 10's on graphics to games with jittery framerates and totally junked image quality just because they had normal mapping and stencil shadows, huge flaws mentioned in the review not appearing in the score because of the franchise (such as Halo 2's shallow single-player campaign), and in short everything you complain about on IGN. A negative review doesn't establish the objectivity of the reviewer any more than a positive one.

GS gave a 9.4 to Eternal Darkness and a 9.2 to Paper Mario 2, neither of which IMO deserved such high scores.

Heh. Do you remember IGN's review for Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions? That was the last time I read an IGN review for anything but comedy. ;)

Natoma:
So if gamespot comes out with a 9 or higher I guess you'll find something else to complain about eh?
This is what I mean by "Nintendo vs the world" mentality many Nintendo fans have.

I have no loyalties or partisanships, if every website keeps giving it high reviews it's certainly worth checking out. But many times, reviewers are blinded by hype (Halo comes to mind), other times, reviewers are blinded by nostalgia (Super Mario Sunshine comes to mind). I'm interested to see how MP3 turns out. I bought MP1 and 2, after all, despite my instincts with the latter. I may complete the trilogy...it all depends on if it's genuinely good or not. The controls are what it comes down to -- if the controls are like Zelda (Wii), Red Steel, or most other Wii games, it'll definitely be a rental at best.

It is quite funny reading your comments regarding Nintendo and your apparent "dislike" for what they have been offering in terms of games over the past number of years (btw, I liked SMS and Eternal Darkness).

If you do not like what Nintendo is doing this generation then simply ignore them and spend all of your time with the 360 and PS3. Simple. Nintendo knows that they are taking a risk with the Wii and that there would also be a some hate against them for going that direction.

But in reality did we really need another console that pretty copied what the 360 and PS3 are doing this generation? I happen to like what Nintendo is doing and my family likes it as well.

Oh and before you come back with any comments regarding me being a blind Nintendo fan I thought I should let you know that I also own a PS3 and a 360 as well. And in my house all three console get a good workout.

How is Gamespot more "well-established?" They tend to give lower scores to Nintendo games than everyone else, but I've also seen reviewers give 10's on graphics to games with jittery framerates and totally junked image quality just because they had normal mapping and stencil shadows, huge flaws mentioned in the review not appearing in the score because of the franchise (such as Halo 2's shallow single-player campaign), and in short everything you complain about on IGN. A negative review doesn't establish the objectivity of the reviewer any more than a positive one.

GS gave a 9.4 to Eternal Darkness and a 9.2 to Paper Mario 2, neither of which IMO deserved such high scores.
As I said, I don't like most reviews. I do find GS to be better on average, but they definitely overrate a lot of games based on hype and other factors. All reviewers do.

The fact is, when you give a hyped game low marks you're essentially shattering a lot of people's hopes. People prefer to read the other kind of reviews for games they're looking forward to. These sites thrive on traffic.

Anvil: I bought a Wii hoping they could pull it off. If you don't like my complaints, then feel free to -- how did you say it -- simply ignore them. I've invested in the Wii and I've owned every Nintendo console and device (sans Virtual Boy) that hit North American shores. I'm free to express my opinion and dissatisfaction with how they are trending, regardless if you enjoy it or not.

I am glad you and your family are enjoying your Wii. I wish I could enjoy it as much. Nintendo could've done so much better by so many more people by shipping a console with a better realised control scheme (IR is a bad idea) and more capable hardware.

This is what I mean by "Nintendo vs the world" mentality many Nintendo fans have.

I'm only following the logic trail you yourself set up in your argument. If you don't like it, you have only yourself to blame. ;)

I have no loyalties or partisanships, if every website keeps giving it high reviews it's certainly worth checking out. But many times, reviewers are blinded by hype (Halo comes to mind), other times, reviewers are blinded by nostalgia (Super Mario Sunshine comes to mind). I'm interested to see how MP3 turns out. I bought MP1 and 2, after all, despite my instincts with the latter. I may complete the trilogy...it all depends on if it's genuinely good or not. The controls are what it comes down to -- if the controls are like Zelda (Wii), Red Steel, or most other Wii games, it'll definitely be a rental at best.

The reviews thus far have stated the opposite. But hey, if you don't believe them that's your prerogative.

I'm only following the logic trail you yourself set up in your argument. If you don't like it, you have only yourself to blame. ;)
I'm not going to pursue this any more...except to say that is absurd. I've no bias against Nintendo, nor any hatred towards them. I've no reason to find excuses to hate good games. Your comment in no way followed a "logic trail", except for the "if he's not thrilled with MP3 before it comes out, he hates Nintendo and will always find excuses to hate it".

I'm not going to pursue this any more...except to say that is absurd. I've no bias against Nintendo, nor any hatred towards them. I've no reason to find excuses to hate good games. Your comment in no way followed a "logic trail", except for the "if he's not thrilled with MP3 before it comes out, he hates Nintendo and will always find excuses to hate it".

Ok. Let's take this step by step.

1) You said you didn't trust IGN.

2) I point out 1up and Gametrailers

3) You say you don't trust those either.

4) Scott_Arm asks what sites you would trust.

5) You point out that you'd trust Gamespot.

6) I ask if Gamespot gives it a 9, will you only find something else to complain about?

7) You complain that statement #6 is indicative of the "Nintendo against the world" mentality.

Basically, multiple sources all come back with similar scores, and you say you don't trust those scores. Then you point out a site that you would trust scores from, and I posit the possibility that that site will give similar scores as well, you come back with the whole "Nintendo against the world" mentality.

Your logic trail is nothing but a shifting of goalposts. All I'm doing is asking for clarity, and if none is granted, calling you out on it. ;)

Ok. Let's take this step by step.
5) You point out that you'd trust Gamespot.

6) I ask if Gamespot gives it a 9, will you only find something else to complain about?

Your logic trail is nothing but a shifting of goalposts. All I'm doing is asking for clarity, and if none is granted, calling you out on it. ;)
What you're doing is failing at reading comprehension. I didn't say Gamespot was the only site I trusted, which throws off every subsequent statement you made. Further, Gamespot is also not the be-all and end-all of reviews, but it is generally more indictative than 1up, IGN, etc.

Did you even consider one of the reasons I prefer sites other than GT, IGN, and 1up is because they don't rush their reviews out ASAP? Why is it any surprise that I may not appreciate the integrity of reviews published so soon?

Anyway, this is the end of the road for this discussion. It's clear that some people don't like dissenters to the herd mentality, and that's fine. Vilify me as some anti-Nintendo crusader who just happens to own all Nintendo consoles and buys Nintendo games if that makes you feel better, it's just not the truth.

What you're doing is failing at reading comprehension. I didn't say Gamespot was the only site I trusted, which throws off every subsequent statement you made. Further, Gamespot is also not the be-all and end-all of reviews, but it is generally more indictative than 1up, IGN, etc.

Apparently, you're the one failing at reading comprehension. If I had made the statement that Gamespot was your end-all-be-all, you'd have a point regarding subsequent statements. Of course, I never made that remark. ;)

My comment regarding shifting goal posts was spot on. You say it's not the end-all-be-all of reviews. Fine. What other sites would it take for you to be "convinced" that MP3 is a quality game?

And if you name those sites, my question would still be the same. If they come back with positive reviews as well, will you only shift the goalposts again, or would you accept those reviews as legitimate?

I'm just trying to pin down just exactly what it is you're trying to state. ;)

Did you even consider one of the reasons I prefer sites other than GT, IGN, and 1up is because they don't rush their reviews out ASAP? Why is it any surprise that I may not appreciate the integrity of reviews published so soon?

Anyway, this is the end of the road for this discussion. It's clear that some people don't like dissenters to the herd mentality, and that's fine. Vilify me as some anti-Nintendo crusader who just happens to own all Nintendo consoles and buys Nintendo games if that makes you feel better, it's just not the truth.

I haven't vilified you as anything. I'm merely asking questions about your opinion and what it would take for you to believe/disbelieve a particular review. I'm also positing the possibility that the places you deem as "respectable" may in fact come back with only good things to say, and asking you the very pertinent question: "If that is the case, what then? Would you still be set on MP3 being a 'bad' game?"

It's just a question. Your difficulty in answering that question thus far speaks volumes about your prejudgments imo.

Btw, You started this whole crap when referencing my user title, as well as referencing the fact that I liked SMS and ED. Using that basically to state that I obviously have little to no credibility because of those items, rather than looking at the content of what I state.

Notice I didn't call you a Nintendo hater because you didn't like SMS or ED, or MP1 or MP2 for that matter. In fact, I said "to each his own".

But you have the gall to then state that I'm trying to bash you for downing on positive reviews of MP3? Please. I'm doing nothing of the sort, and it merely shows that your hypocrisy knows no bounds. :LOL:

Back