Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

It's all about the controls for me.I will be extremely disappointed of the controls don't make the aiming and shooting mechanic much better. After all these years I've never gotten comfortable with dual analogue for FPS games.
MP2 was already a fantastic looking game,MP3 can only be icing on the cake visually.
In fact going only by what I've seen of MP3, if I were to choose a based game in the series that was the most visually pleasing I would still choose MP1. The variety of locals and the alien organic look was what immersed me.

Why couldn't the GCN handle bloom lighting? I remember games like POP didn't have it on the GCN version.

Twilight Princess has some effect which looks like Bloom lighting.

Why couldn't the GCN handle bloom lighting? I remember games like POP didn't have it on the GCN version.

PoP had plenty of bloom lighting in the Cube version. Did you play the one I played? IGN even gave it the graphical edge over the Xbox version in their head-to-head on Insider. It's not whether the GC could do bloom lighting, but in what contexts. Probably whatever other effects they're doing in MP3 wouldn't have left nearly enough fillrate for bloom on the GC.

PoP had plenty of bloom lighting in the Cube version. Did you play the one I played? IGN even gave it the graphical edge over the Xbox version in their head-to-head on Insider. It's not whether the GC could do bloom lighting, but in what contexts. Probably whatever other effects they're doing in MP3 wouldn't have left nearly enough fillrate for bloom on the GC.
Nah the Gamecube version of POP omitted bloom lighting it certainly looked different on Xbox. Def Jam: Fight for NY also didn't have Bloom in the Gamecube version, the developers there said it couldn't be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
now that i've seen these newest screens I wish it could be played with the vc classic controller.

But unless they've announced that it could and I just missed it, the wii mote is a turn-off for me.

I don't get why they have to make the decision for the players.

The players should get to make the decision.

We're the ones playing it.

Metroid has always be played with a traditional controller, so why should mp3 be any different?

Nah the Gamecube version of POP omitted bloom lighting
How do you know it wasn't a different implementation or just more subdued due to fillrate limitations? Bright whites and yellows in the Cube versions certainly emitted that glow commonly associated with light bloom, or is that something completely different?

Most previous console games were played with a traditional controller, so why should we switch to a pointing device for Wii games?

Wasn't this confirmed already last E3? I thought I was sure that I saw Metroid being controlled with the wii-mote before, not only shooting and moving, but also twisting stuff to get doors open and so on. I'd be surprised if they do, but who knows they'll support the regular controller as well.

I really doubt it though. It seems a pretty decent fit for the wii-mote, even if the action could become a little slow if they're not careful. Then again I don't know Metroid well enough to determine whether or not that would be a bad thing.

Ack, those IGN bastards locked the Hi-Res videos to insider only. Why bother, they're not even direct feeds. No matter how high the resolution, the video's not gonna look good when it's shot off a TV screen.

Anyway, I LOVE to ship part. It so cool how you get to mess around with all these devices within Samus's ship. It really makes you feel like you're Samus! I'm disappointed they used the ugly Samus model though. I still think the Fusion art of Samus is much more attractive than the Prime and Prime 2 (I especially hate Prime 2) version of Samus.

IGN also has a writeup: http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803978p1.html

For some reason, Retro Studios' anticipated first-person adventure sequel, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, doesn't photograph well. Many of the officially released screenshots of the title look bland, a complaint raised all too often by message board addicts. But we've just compiled two hours with a two-level demonstration of the title and we can tell you, it sure looks good in motion. The game runs in 480 progressive-scan and true 16:9 widescreen mode, which is a first for the series. The artistic presentation of the space stations, craft and planets that make up the universe is very impressive, seemingly more on par with the original Prime than its purple-drenched sequel. Textures are crisper and polished with extra effects such as specular highlights on Aran's ship, for example. Environments are larger and architecture more defined. And while it may seem trivial to some, the inclusion of bloom lighting goes a long way, as bright sources like lava and monitors now glow with welcomed style and realism. All of this and the title seldom dips below a fluidity of 60 frames per second.

Samus controls better in Prime 3 than she ever has before. In fact, the heroine's tight maneuverability and speed nurture a level of accuracy never before possible in a console-based first-person experience. Retro has included three different sensitivity levels for fans, so if you're the type who prefers a big bounding box and slower turns, you can do that. However, we highly recommend that all gamers play Prime 3 with advanced controls, which shrink the bounding box so that Samus turns quickly when your on-screen reticule begins to stray in any direction. Previously, Call of Duty 3 was the benchmark for accurate controls in a first-person game on Wii, but Prime 3 blows that title out of the water. If you've played any FPS-style game on Nintendo's system before, you will probably be running and gunning in Corruption and absolutely loving the freedom and speed of the controls in a matter of seconds, not minutes. It really is the new benchmark and simultaneously proof that smart studios can really utilize the Wii remote and nunchuk for some dazzling results.

We had our doubts that Prime 3 would come together. Having spent some quality time with the game, though, it is rapidly becoming our most anticipated Wii project. Retro Studios seems to have nailed the controls and (perhaps more than ever) the atmosphere. We simply cannot wait to see and play more.
Seems they liked it. :)

i still really don't know how to feel about this one. the first metroid prime was definitely my favorite game of last gen (i still remember how much time me and my roommates spent on it just to get that %100 ending) the second one was a dissapointment (and yet i still do not know why exactly, it just didn't click with me i guess) and this 3rdone is still too much of a mystery(controls,gameplay mechnanics, etc) to get my hopes up.

Why bother, they're not even direct feeds. No matter how high the resolution, the video's not gonna look good when it's shot off a TV screen.

They did a pretty good job of shooting and cleaning up the videos, and you can see that the worlds are a lot more detailed than those of Prime 2, which was itself a decent jump over Prime 1.

They did a pretty good job of shooting and cleaning up the videos, and you can see that the worlds are a lot more detailed than those of Prime 2, which was itself a decent jump over Prime 1.

Yeah, I know, it does look very nice, but I still would have liked some direct feed for a better look at the textures. I was kind of hoping to see if I could spot any bump mapping being used in Prime 3.

Back