Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Game runs at 60fps, 99.9% of the time according to IGN. Apparently even these screens don't do the game justice. IGN for whatever reason still can't seem to get it to capture properly.

That just whets my appetite more. :)

But not for Europe. There really is to much stuff coming out by the end of the year. I want mp3, SMG, mariokart (though that is early 2008), RE: UC, Paper mario and a bunch of other im forgetting, but they all come out in like 2 or 3 months time and since its at the end of the year I wont even have time as I have to be a intern at some company for 20 weeks (and not getting paid...), do my part time job on saturday and than I'll only have sunday left but that's when the family is blocking the tv.

IGN Presents The History of Metroid: http://games.ign.com/articles/815/815011p1.html

Pretty good read imo. :)

I have not read the article yet, but one thing I have noticed is that out of all of the major gaming publications IGN is the only one really hyping Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. They wrote a glowing preview last week which gave me the impression that they are going to score the game in 9.6+ range. Matt Cassamasina (?) wrote the article, stating that everything from the use of bloom lighting to the boss fights and controls were the best he had ever seen. On the other hand, Gamespot and 1up previews have been pretty mum, at least when compared to the amount of coverage the Wii IGN Team has placed on MP3.

About a week ago now Games Radar leaked the first hour of the game. I watched the video in its entirety, and overall the game looks like it is going to be pretty solid. I was not as impressed with what I saw in comparison to Bioshock, but the game looked good none the less.

Some complaints I have are the obvious lack of significant graphical improvement over previous Metroid Prime games, and regardless of Matt's claims about excellent bloom lighting and art I think the game looks very dated in comparison to what is available on Xbox 360 / PS3. Another complaint I have is the poorly scripted sequences involving Samus and the other marines on the space station. One sequence has Samus drop down into a room with two Marines engaged in a fight with a space pirate. The marines do not seem to have any A.I. and will simply stand and get shot until Samus intervenes and saves them. The same complaint could be made about the games A.I. in general, which seems to be devoid of any intelligence what so ever.

I cannot comment on the controls as I did not play the game myself. I would say that the aiming seems to acurate, although it did take a while for the guy playing to become acclimated to the controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
But not for Europe. There really is to much stuff coming out by the end of the year. I want mp3, SMG, mariokart (though that is early 2008), RE: UC, Paper mario and a bunch of other im forgetting, but they all come out in like 2 or 3 months time and since its at the end of the year I wont even have time as I have to be a intern at some company for 20 weeks (and not getting paid...), do my part time job on saturday and than I'll only have sunday left but that's when the family is blocking the tv.

Similar problem here. I even had to cancel my preorder for Super Paper Mario, which I'll pick up during the slow season (if there is one) next year. SMG and MP3 are the Wii titles to get, and the 360 release schedule for the end of the year is one of the best any console ever had. Couple that with a serious number of heavy hitters for DS, and I'm looking at over 20 games to buy before the year is over... :oops:

Some complaints I have are the obvious lack of significant graphical improvement over previous Metroid Prime games

Sorry, that's just an absurd complaint. Retro is a development studio, not the miracle-working presence of God on Earth. Don't criticize them for being unable to program a 233 MHz T&L generation GPU as though it were a late-gen DX9 part; that's beyond their control, so they don't deserve the criticism. If you want to complain about the Wii hardware, we have a thread for that:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43779

Last edited by a moderator:
First review up!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/815/815424p1.html

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was originally set to launch with Wii, but the year-long delay has been very much worth the wait. Call it a first- person shooter or a first-person adventure -- doesn't matter. I call it the best game on Nintendo's console. It is clear from the moment you pick up the controller that Prime 3 was developed exclusively for Wii. Not only do the new controls respond quicker and with more precision than any dual-analog-helmed FPS ever created, but the gesture system works brilliantly, too. Meanwhile, the title delivers everything a Metroid fan could hope for, including spectacular environmental puzzles, epic boss fights and intense combat, all wrapped up in a package that spans multiple worlds and is filled with re-traversal exploration. A cinematic storyline made possible by beautiful art and graphics rounds out the experience, which is complemented by a medal system and WiiConnect24 compatibility.

There are a couple of minor quibbles that keep Prime 3 from a higher score. The first and most obvious is that the game is a sequel and thus inherently feels familiar. While Corruption features more variety than any of its predecessors, it's not the design revolution that the original game was. Also, as you explore the world, you will occasionally encounter doorways that take longer than they should to open, as they are loading the next area. Thankfully, this is a rare occurrence, but it does occur. And finally, while the majority of the 20-hour experience flows, there's one fetch quest that interrupts the pace.

We rated the original Metroid Prime a 9.8 on GameCube and had Corruption been the first game in the series it'd have been worthy of the same score. As it stands, Samus Aran's latest adventure is a spectacular must-own experience and one of Wii's defining games. Stop reading and buy it.

The gametrailers review really shows off the visuals of the game.

Another complaint I have is the poorly scripted sequences involving Samus and the other marines on the space station. One sequence has Samus drop down into a room with two Marines engaged in a fight with a space pirate. The marines do not seem to have any A.I. and will simply stand and get shot until Samus intervenes and saves them.

Dude... that's the point! They're there for you to save them to earn extra points. They're not suppose to save themselves. It's like saying why is Peach/Zelda always just sits without any AI waiting to be saved. They might as well just program them with an AI and you spend time in Zelda/Mario watching them escape from Bowser/Ganon.

I have not read the article yet, but one thing I have noticed is that out of all of the major gaming publications IGN is the only one really hyping Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. They wrote a glowing preview last week which gave me the impression that they are going to score the game in 9.6+ range. Matt Cassamasina (?) wrote the article, stating that everything from the use of bloom lighting to the boss fights and controls were the best he had ever seen. On the other hand, Gamespot and 1up previews have been pretty mum, at least when compared to the amount of coverage the Wii IGN Team has placed on MP3.

I don't mean to use the "f-word" so liberally, but Matt Cassamasina(sp? also!) is feverishly devoted to Nintendo. IIRC, he posted an "editorial" a month or two ago complaining about Nintendo's marketing strategy for MP3, even. Some time ago, it stopped being about the games for him and saying if he does or does not enjoy it. For him it's more about Nintendo vs the world.

He hyped up countless games (and scored countless games very highly) that simply were not deserving of it. Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, etc.

This is true for lots of Nintendo titles I've found. There's way too many games coming out this fall to buy them all. I need to play the game for myself...here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

I don't mean to use the "f-word" so liberally, but Matt Cassamasina(sp? also!) is feverishly devoted to Nintendo. IIRC, he posted an "editorial" a month or two ago complaining about Nintendo's marketing strategy for MP3, even. Some time ago, it stopped being about the games for him and saying if he does or does not enjoy it. For him it's more about Nintendo vs the world.

He hyped up countless games (and scored countless games very highly) that simply were not deserving of it. Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, etc.

This is true for lots of Nintendo titles I've found. There's way too many games coming out this fall to buy them all. I need to play the game for myself...here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

That's pretty much the same for all departments at IGN. It's pretty hard to find really objective reviews anywhere.

Nice review. The part about some of the best gaming on a disk is encouraging. I noticed from the video that Metroid appears to have a high degree of magnatism and adhesion in regards to the cursor and enemies/objects. The game sounds like a blast. No online is a bummer for me, and I don't swallow a 9 in replay / "lasting appeal". I don't care if you can play a 2nd time or that it is 20 hours, replayability means there needs to be a draw to experience something new or rewarding. Games with 100s, if not 1000s of hours of replay are 8s, 9s, and 10s. 2x through single player isn't very high in my book. They gave Madden 08 a 9 on the Wii for lasting appeal too. Yet Madden has a full season and franchise mode, over 20 min-game modes with various competition settings, family mode, SP & MP as well as online play. Since scores are NOT an average of the sub-categories, I only see one reason why Metroid got a 9 in lasting appeal.

Anyhow, the GT's video looks great, and I like what I see in regards to controls.

Considering two other sources have MP3 scored as high, I don't think your complaint is necessarily valid in this case. ;)

As for SMS and ED, I really liked those games and thought they deserved the score. To each his own. :p

Back