Medal of Honor Heroes 2

Natoma

Veteran
IGN states that the controls may very well exceed Metroid Prime 3's quality. And it looks pretty nice.

Apparently the guys at EA who normally do PSP/DS development were given the opportunity to dev for the Wii and loved the "upgrade" in hardware. hehe.

The IGN guys have been saying great things about it thus far: http://wii.ign.com/articles/817/817116p1.html

We thumbed through the IGN message boards after our recent review of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption -- a game that we awarded a high 9.5 rating -- and readers had a variety of questions for us. One that stood out was, did we think that a third party could make a game that would rival Corruption's innovative utilization of the Wii remote? We said sure, yes, absolutely, it was bound to happen eventually, but we honestly figured such a feat would be several months off, if not years. So imagine our surprise when we got our hands on Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for Wii this week and discovered very quickly that EA Canada seems to have nailed the control scheme. Indeed, if our brief, but revealing play test with a few key portions of the war-time shooter was any indication, Heroes 2 may prove to be more powerful proof that Wii is the ideal console for fast and furious first-person experiences. What the demo also proves beyond any doubt is that the Wii rendition is absolutely not a quick and dirty PSP port and we hope all of our readers will take notice now because, frankly, this surprisingly adept undertaking is set to blow a hole through both Call of Duty and Vanguard before it.

As lead producer Matt Tomporowski demoes the Wii version of the shooter for us, he speaks to this, explaining that team members have periodically checked the message boards through the title's development cycle and are always disheartened when posters assert that Heroes 2 will be dumbed down mechanically or graphically on Wii. Sure, he adds, the two versions are bound to share some commonalities, like enemy artificial intelligence, for instance (which he notes is very smart), but Heroes 2 on Wii is brought to life via a new game engine, vastly improved graphics, completely overhauled controls and even a few exclusive play modes. Tomporowski further elaborates that EA Canada took a look at its competitors, from Call of Duty 3 to Vanguard, learned from them, and then set out to create a first-person shooter that would fully capitalize on Wii's strengths.

In Campaign Mode, you have full freedom of your character and can run in any direction, look in any direction, and shoot at anything or anyone you can see. Think Call of Duty 3 except with significantly improved graphics and controls and you'll have some idea of what to expect. To start, EA Canada enables you the ability to fully customize your control setup. Sure, you can set your maximum up and down look, but you can also feather your horizontal and vertical sensitivity, your aiming sensitivity and, best of all, your dead zone (commonly referred to in these parts as the elusive bounding box). Because the controls can be so tightly tweaked and because Heroes 2 runs at a locked 60 frames per second, you can continually fiddle with the dead zone and the look / aim sensitivities until you stumble upon the perfect match for the way you play. The standard configuration is already highly responsive - better than Call of Duty 3 or Vanguard and not far behind Metroid Prime 3. However, after maxing everything out and dropping the dead zone down to its smallest size, we walked away with a look / aim speed several times that of Prime 3 and the ability to a 180-degree flip with the Wii remote in a half second, as opposed to the two and half seconds it takes in Corruption. We're not sure we'd want to play the game like that - you'll make dramatic on-screen movements if you so much as sneeze - but if you've got the finesse to maintain control with that much speed at your fingertips, you have that option, which is a first on Wii.
Sounds like great fun. Some screens:

It looks pretty nice and the controls sound very enticing. I'm looking forward to trying this game out. Does this game support multiplayer?

it looks all right but I'd be surprised if the online play worked out well. will it have ranking, microphones, etc? I know that they have normal online features like booting/voting players off and whatnot but I REALLY hope nintendo lets them also have voice chat because online multiplayer really feels crippled without it.

it looks all right but I'd be surprised if the online play worked out well. will it have ranking, microphones, etc? I know that they have normal online features like booting/voting players off and whatnot but I REALLY hope nintendo lets them also have voice chat because online multiplayer really feels crippled without it.

Microphone is really good for team based multiplayer. I'm so used to it with day of defeat. Still, I hope there is a good online game soon.

It wont have Nintendo's crappy fiendcode system but EA's own onlione system so they might support it. Personally I dont care much about a mic as you usually end up with idiots screaming all the time or having the thing to close to their mouth so you only hear mumbling and certainly in public servers for most games people dont play as a team anyway.

Graphics look very good, no jaggies :oops:

They're bullshots.

Still, the lighting and the shadows (environments anyway) look pretty good, but damn they have to start putting more bump mapping on its environments. Look at those flat brick roads and walls. Godzilla Unleash has bump mapping galore and that's a freaking fighting games.

Edit - I just read about the arcade mode and I'm impressed! I think all shooters should come with this in the future. The arcade mode is a dumbed down experience for the casual crowd, while still providing a full FPS experience for the dedicated gamers. It actually has something for everyone! A very smart move.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should be able to turn on AA. Several GC games had 2x AA enabled, for example. But yea, these are downscaled high-res shots.

It looks like PSP geometry and basic lighting info with Wii-specific character models and textures. Some of those shots scream out for a detail texture or some more light maps, like that shot of the soldiers running toward the cliff face. The outdoor lighting overall looks pretty hokey, with too much bloom and too many fullbright surfces in cloudcover. However, it's nice to see EA paying attention to the Wii assets instead of just porting straight from the PSP. It also shows how much 24-bit, high(er)-res textures can add to the look of a game over pixellated 4-bit assets.

There's a gameplay montage up at GT. Most of it appears to be demonstrating the game's on-rails mode, although the last bit appears to be from the regular gameplay. Overall, it looks a good bit better than the PS2 MoH games. Could be better, but it could be a lot worse, too.

The AI looks pretty bad.

It wont have Nintendo's crappy fiendcode system but EA's own onlione system so they might support it. Personally I dont care much about a mic as you usually end up with idiots screaming all the time or having the thing to close to their mouth so you only hear mumbling and certainly in public servers for most games people dont play as a team anyway.
you usually need it for hardcore MP games like rainbow 6 (the host will most likely kick you if you don't have a mic) because teamplay is really important. for some more casual games microphones aren't needed and can be annoying but I'm hoping that since this is EA's first major online effort that they at least allow USB/bluetooth headset support.

Well now, according this interview on Destructiod, the game does have AA! Of course not the 32x AA we're seeing here.

It says "AA technology". That sounds a bit strange to my ear. "AA technology" could for instance imply that they're only using edge filtering, depending on how loosely EA uses the term.

It says "AA technology". That sounds a bit strange to my ear. "AA technology" could for instance imply that they're only using edge filtering, depending on how loosely EA uses the term.

Considering this is EA... they probably just took a dump on the visuals and call it AA. I'll laugh if it's just trilinear filtering. I just hate the way they talk. It makes it sound like they were able to do things no one could have done... on the Gamecube.

The control in this game really is fantastic. I suck ass online. I only played the first mission of the campaign. Not a really inspired level, but the control kind of makes it novel, because I'm not used having that much control in a console game.

Ok, played a bit more and the control for the game is pretty fantastic. It feels very good and you can aim quickly. You can't turn as fast as I was reading in the reviews, but quite a bit faster than in Metroid.

The game is fairly fun, as a pick up and play game. Graphics are somewhat poor and the enemies are dumb as rocks. Still, it's enjoyable as a simple game if you just want to shoot stuff.

Major piss off when I got to the end of a big level, and had earlier decided to drop my machine gun to carry the bazooka, thinking I'd be able to pick up another machine gun off a corpse. Big mistake. The enemies weapons disappear within' seconds, so my pistol wasn't getting me close enough to the enemy to pick one up. I couldn't get past the segment I was in, so I just quit.

Back