GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

It's not Polyphonys fault Nissan made so damn many different versions of a Skyline is it ;)

I cannot wait for the next version, there will be about 10 evo 9s with all this after market FQ crap.

0de558e1c7ac774c533e3bd757ef.jpg

- All cars and tracks from GT4 will be included in GT5
- More cars and tracks should be downloadable
- 4 driving views
- Car damage
- All Ferrari+ F1 cars
- New city tracks
- Online drivers 12-20
- Dynamic weather during races

http://www.e-mpire.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543552&postcount=37

http://pix.nofrag.com/16/e7/0de558e1c7ac774c533e3bd757ef.jpg
- All cars and tracks from GT4 will be included in GT5
- More cars and tracks should be downloadable
- 4 driving views
- Car damage
- All Ferrari+ F1 cars
- New city tracks
- Online drivers 12-20
- Dynamic weather during races

http://www.e-mpire.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543552&postcount=37

All cars and tracks! :oops:
Especially the cars should be a pain in the ass! Those devs wont see their families for a year. If I remember years ago PD said that each car in GT1 and 2 took them around 3 days to make. In GT3 (and probably 4) they said that for each car they needed atleast a week. Now they are making interiors for all cars...700 CARS just in GT4 plus NEW on a next gen console!

All Ferrari and F1 CARS!! They are going to the extreme! If they have all the F1 tracks and realistic F1 controls this would be AWESOME!

Eventually they are adding car damage too? :D

Dynamic weather conditions BRILLIANT!

It would be great if tracks turn from day to night and night to day. Those 99 Lap courses need this for extra realism like the Le Mans 24h

How are they going to pull of everything in a matter of a year? I am sure this will suffer many many delays

Hmm...Seems they arent getting the green light by manufacturers for commercially used cars since these are cars that sell to the typical everyday consumer. They think damage may affect their buying behaviour. Race cars on the other hand suffer damages commonly because they race in extreme racing conditions, they arent sold to simple consumers, and they are viewable by everyone anyways.

That's very unfortunate. Are there any examples of other games that have a damage model for commercially available cars?

(I'm not really into racing games... although will make an exception for Forza 2!!)

Forza has damage on commercial cars. But I think they ve run into many pains until they were given permission. Also if I remember correctly they had to reduce damage at a level which the manufactureres would consider acceptable. They dont allow for realism.

Taking into consideration the hundreds of commercial cars GT5 is going to have it will be extremely hard to go into such lengths with so many of them.

Also the creator said he wanted to add realistic damage not something that looks like damage but isnt true to real life. So an acceptable level is not enough plus, having to make true to life damage for each of the 700+ cars is extremely hard

Cool, thanks for the context.

This damage issue thing has been around for years unfortunately. From your reply it seems it's not getting much better.

I think it would be a good solution/first step to have realistic damage on the racing cars. That way you don't have to make any compromises.

Then further on, my strategy would be to give additional racing mode with damage in which you can only use cars from manufacturors that have given permission. This could stimulate other car manufacturors to reconsider their position.

Then further on, my strategy would be to give additional racing mode with damage in which you can only use cars from manufacturors that have given permission. This could stimulate other car manufacturors to reconsider their position.

Why would other car manufacturers care? The few manufacturers that allow you to damage the car pretty bad, are usually the ones with the shittiest cars. I don't see Ferrari, Pagiani, Porsche or Mercedes reconsidering their position just because you can crash a subaru in a GT game.

Its not like Ferrari is going to sell less cars because you cannot damage them in a video game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would other car manufacturers care? The few manufacturers that allow you to damage the car pretty bad, are usually the ones with the shittiest cars.

In terms of their NCAP crash ratings or in terms of performance?

I don't see Ferrari, Pagiani, Porsche or Mercedes reconsidering their position just because you can crash a subaru in a GT game.

Its not like Ferrari is going to sell less cars because you cannot damage them in a video game.

If people can only drive certain cars in, say, the most realistic driving mode in Gran Turismo (just theoretically), that involves crashes and so on. Those cars would be more popular to drive in the game and therefore get more exposure, similar to how japanese car manufacturors now have gotten more exposure in Europe and the U.S. thanks to Gran Turismo's popularity (and vice versa, some cars like the TVRs have gained a foothold in Japan almost exclusively thanks to their inclusion in games like GT).

In the more distant future, when damage has gotten so realistic that it matches real life close enough, I can also imagine that the pride more and more manufacturors take in their NCAP safety ratings may make them confident enough to have that demonstrated virtually in the form of a computer game.

Or, if they see that allowing car damage in their game clearly and demonstrably doesn't hurt their sales, that could be enough too. Whatever the case, I'm certain that partial inclusion of damage is more likely to change attitudes than maintaining the status quo on all fronts.

From NeoGAF:

I just bought JOYPAD and i can confirm this is all-true.

There are four new (but tiny) pics :

-a cockpit view from an Audi TT (Totally photorealistic :O)
-a pic from the 300SL (full exterior view)
-another shot from the cockpit of the 300SL (Polyphony artists am God total)
-AND the first shot ever from the nürburing (The trees are really good!)

And sorry my scanner is broken I will try to make some tomorrow at work.

And the big news from the article : FULL HD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat
* Spectator mode (à la PGR3)
* Possibility to create Clubs

-Test playground for the future GT5

And..that's all

Well the thing is at racing speads any normal car regadless of NCAP tests rating would be pretty much destroyed in an accident. NCAP = 40mph!

I would imagine any manufacturer would be terrified of realistic damage of road cars in a game. I bet most people don't have a clue how badly most road cars would end up just having a shunt at 80mph.

More important to me (regarding the article in JoyPad) though, is the apparent lack of anything concerning the AI!

As long as we get online, I don't care about AI. That said, I do expect we'll get some better AI anyway.

I just tried an hour in the Integra on the Forward track in GT:HD Concept by the way, great fun. Got a 12th position fairly quickly, but then it took me a while to beat that. But then when I finally beat it, I moved up to 4th position. In the global rankings (http://gt.hobby-site.com/) I'm just outside the top 100, but then my lap is clean according to the old competition rules that we used to keep to in GT4 (keep at least either the two left or the two right wheels on or above the track) and I'm sure that a lot of the other times probably aren't. ;)

Fellow Europeans can admire the lap themselves from the online rankings in the game, at least for a short while :D

If people can only drive certain cars in, say, the most realistic driving mode in Gran Turismo (just theoretically), that involves crashes and so on. Those cars would be more popular to drive in the game and therefore get more exposure, similar to how japanese car manufacturors now have gotten more exposure in Europe and the U.S. thanks to Gran Turismo's popularity (and vice versa, some cars like the TVRs have gained a foothold in Japan almost exclusively thanks to their inclusion in games like GT).

Your making stuff up right about now, there is no evidence that would say TVR is more popular in japan now than it was before because it was featured in GT. There is no evidence that car damage in GT infulences anything that potential GT driving car drivers might take into acount when buying a new car.

I understand that you like GT and all that, but seriously, neither Ferrari or Porche is going to have any less sales because freaking video game doesn't have full damage in it.

Whatever crazed theory or belief you might have, it doesn't change real world facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your making stuff up right about now, there is no evidence that would say TVR is more popular in japan now than it was before because it was featured in GT. There is no evidence that car damage in GT infulences anything that potential GT driving car drivers might take into acount when buying a new car.

I understand that you like GT and all that, but seriously, neither Ferrari or Porche is going to have any less sales because freaking video game doesn't have full damage in it.

Whatever crazed theory or belief you might have, it doesn't change real world facts.

Thats something you should tell to those manufacturers. Not Arwin

Back