GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

MasaC

Newcomer
Translation:

Today the french web site Jeux France reported that Polyphony Digital will release Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge in the fall of 2007. It will be a preview version of the game you can download through Playstation Network, where you for the first time in a GT game get to play online through the upcoming Gran Turismo Network.

The main game, Gran Turismo 5, is planned for release in the spring of 2008. Granted, the Gran Turismo games are infamous for usually being delayed but it's always nice to know the release dates aren't too far away.

http://ps3.blogg.se/130207120320_gran_turismo_5_prologue_kommer_i.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't read Swedish, so does it make any mention of the cost of Prologue?

I hope it's free, I always felt slightly cheated with these prologue versions (ie demo versions) as I always buy the full versions the day of release being really "into" the franchise.

I hope it's free, I always felt slightly cheated with these prologue versions (ie demo versions) as I always buy the full versions the day of release being really "into" the franchise.

If it supports online play, it'll be worth at least some money. ;) It will be a downloadable game, so I suspect we'll see something like $20, $30 max. I suppose it could be comparable to Tekken 5: DR ... in a sense it would be an extended online beta-test for the final game. ;)

I've had tons of fun with GT4 Prologue myself. I loved the various tests and the coffee breaks were awesome (though exposing a weakness in GT4's handling of the reverse gear - hopefully they fix that eventually!). If it supports, say, the G25 wheel with clutch and gears, then it will be even more of a must-have for me (of course, then I'll have to get a G25 also).

The swedish people in the comments also wonder what the price will be. I don't think we'll find out before PD and Sony themselves know a little bit more accurately what will be in the game. ;)

*yawn* all this recent surge of FM2 news made me lose interest in GT5(or HD/Prologue).

Maybe when more new info comes out, more specifically something that tickles my fancy, ill start getting excited again. For now, meh.

Sorry, didnt want to come off as a jerk or anything :oops: just voicing my opinions.

No, it doesn't mention anything about a price one way or the other. First part of the text in Swedish is about the release of the free GT HD Demo on March 23. I didn't bother to translate that part.

Personally I think the GT5 Prologue won't be free considering GT4 Prologue wasn't free. However, it should cost less than GT4P since it will be distributed over PSN which is cheaper than making and distributing game discs.

It will not be free. That much I can assure you. They charged for Prologue last time, and I think their priority is recouping the dev costs as quickly as possible. That and they know they have a set number of gluttons out there who will buy both copies, thus doubling sales. Yeah...prepare to pay. I hope it's not a full-price release though. PEACE.

*yawn* all this recent surge of FM2 news made me lose interest in GT5(or HD/Prologue).

Maybe when more new info comes out, more specifically something that tickles my fancy, ill start getting excited again. For now, meh.

Sorry, didnt want to come off as a jerk or anything :oops: just voicing my opinions.

No, not like a jerk. Just a little ignorant. :)

I still worship GT...

But now that other racing games are cathing up after 10 years, there are more choices to tide me over until 2008.

Same here, I'm looking forward to GT5 but really just to see the pretty pictures, I doubt it would have tons of features though. Pretty pictures can only go so far if there's nothing new in the gameplay department it's not going to meet my expectations. Maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised but I'm not holding my breath.

Pretty pictures can only go so far if there's nothing new in the gameplay department it's not going to meet my expectations. .

First it seems your expectations are below Zero , so.. if the game ships and it works wouldn´t it almost have exceeded those expectations? And what would you like to see added in the gameplay department? i´m really curious about this, the things i would like to see are technical stuff like the fooling around with the setup of the cars (of course with a option of hiring the best mechanic so i can back out if needed). Maybe i´m strange but the most important thing for me in racing games like the Forza and GT series is the sense of being there and getting the impression i´m actually driving this Nissan or bad american car, that is the only thing that is needed for me.

First it seems your expectations are below Zero , so.. if the game ships and it works wouldn´t it almost have exceeded those expectations? And what would you like to see added in the gameplay department?

Without trying to compare GT5 to FM2, I would like to see everything from FM2 in GT5 as that would totally blow me away. That's what I'm expecting from GT5. If it turns out to be GT4 with better graphics/physics and nothing else, it wouldn't meet my expectations. The bar has been raised so for me slightly prettier than the competition graphics just does't cut it.

This thread isn't about FM or a comparison of the two, but if you must, it has to be said that GTHD demo of a few months ago already had lighting and shadowing and modeling that already looks a lot more realistic than the near finished product that is FM2. Of course, photorealism might not be everyone's definition of pretty in a sim racer.

I personally cannot wait for this title to come out and will definitely be buying Prologue when it comes out. Hopefully they'll have more than what they had in the last GT4 Prologue in this title, as those features are more suitable for downloadable demos nowadays.

As for in which direction they'll be taking this game, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Graphics and physics are givens and we've already heard of online coming to this series. Customization of core parts has always been a staple, so no matter how they improve it there will always be complaints of not be revolutionary. One thing they could add is trading things as implemented in FM2. Apart from copying other features from FM2(of which I'm not too familiar with so I don't know if I've missed any essentials), one feature that would be interesting is having a track editor I suppose to fit into their Game3.0 scheme or maybe even custom tournaments and such.

Either way, expectations will always be high for the original and the best :cool:

i thought the game looked good because its one car demo??? isn't there "compulsory" quality down when more cars are added???

Without trying to compare GT5 to FM2, I would like to see everything from FM2 in GT5 as that would totally blow me away. That's what I'm expecting from GT5. If it turns out to be GT4 with better graphics/physics and nothing else, it wouldn't meet my expectations. The bar has been raised so for me slightly prettier than the competition graphics just does't cut it.

What features would those be? The 2F2F features or are we talking actual substance in the driving experience?

I just have to post these that I shot straight off my (720p) TV

(though actually it is 768p and it has upscaled it):

ferrari1.jpg

ferrari2.jpg

:LOL: I understand that feeling when we first saw the demo. Enjoy yourself and don't forget small demos like Sudoku. It's the one that get my wife's attention.

:LOL: I understand that feeling when we first saw the demo. Enjoy yourself and don't forget small demos like Sudoku. It's the one that get my wife's attention.

It's not out yet here, coming in a few weeks. But I have that on PSP also, and my wife's not that impressed with Sudoku anyway.

For me though, GT is the game I've played more than any other. So it's a much bigger thing for me than for you, I'm sure. ;) And dang, it just looks so good in combination with the new TV, and it's not even 1080p.

For me though, GT is the game I've played more than any other. So it's a much bigger thing for me than for you, I'm sure. ;) And dang, it just looks so good in combination with the new TV, and it's not even 1080p.

Yap ! I have not tried GT at all on PS2. But with the free demo, it has certainly given me an opportunity to appreciate what people are raving about.

Back