GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

GTHD has HDR right?

Now does it have 2xMSAA during gameplay when at 720p? I have heard that it does...

Should have 2x MSAA @ 720p considering the game is supposed to run at 1080p native.

As far as HDR goes, there is a billion different version of HDR, but yes it has something that can qualify as HDR.

Should have 2x MSAA @ 720p considering the game is supposed to run at 1080p native.

As far as HDR goes, there is a billion different version of HDR, but yes it has something that can qualify as HDR.

Cool. I have questions about ps3 first party games and AA, HDR (eg. Motorstorm, F1, Resistance.) Where can I ask them? Or have they most likely been answered in another thread...if so can you point in the right direction?

Cool. I have questions about ps3 first party games and AA, HDR (eg. Motorstorm, F1, Resistance.) Where can I ask them? Or have they most likely been answered in another thread...if so can you point in the right direction?

There has been quite a few discussions about this (at least about using HDR and AA at the same time on the PS3 if thats what your wondering about ) due to the fact that Nvidia PC G70's isn't very supportive for this (HL2 being the only Pc game exception) and people have been wondering about how this translates to the g70 based RSX, im sure you can find some discussions about it in the Console Technology forum, or you could just make a new topic in that forum.

There has been quite a few discussions about this (at least about using HDR and AA at the same time on the PS3 if thats what your wondering about ) due to the fact that Nvidia PC G70's isn't very supportive for this (HL2 being the only Pc game exception) and people have been wondering about how this translates to the g70 based RSX, im sure you can find some discussions about it in the Console Technology forum, or you could just make a new post there.

Hm...I'm afraid I'll get "we've been through this already" kind of post.

I know HS is doing it...due to new techniques, but I wondered whether Motorstorm and F1 have it also. Can that be a new post...i don't want to clog up the forums.

On topic...GTHD - do you think they are demoing out their models for GT5 in GTHD (eg. Nissan)

Hm...I'm afraid I'll get "we've been through this already" kind of post.

I know HS is doing it...due to new techniques, but I wondered whether Motorstorm and F1 have it also. Can that be a new post...i don't want to clog up the forums.

Motorstorm doesnt have AA to my recollection, dunno about F1. HDR without AA isn't a very challenging task for a G7x gpu. People who moderates B3D aren't nazi's, as long as you dont troll or make a topic they discuss every week, it will be fine.

(Aspecially if it asks new questions). Worst case scenario is that they close your thread and give you a link to another.

On topic...GTHD - do you think they are demoing out their models for GT5 in GTHD (eg. Nissan)

I would presume so, however considering that rumors are pointing towards implementing car damage in GT5, i'm not sure. Car damage (unless done entirely by physics - which would be freakin' AWESOME) would hog a lot of RAM, and these car models are soooo pretty i would reckon they already take up a lot of space...

Motorstorm doesnt have AA to my recollection, dunno about F1. HDR without AA isn't a very challenging task for a G7x gpu. People who moderates B3D aren't nazi's, as long as you dont troll or make a topic they discuss every week, it will be fine.

(Aspecially if it asks new questions). Worst case scenario is that they close your thread and give you a link to another.

I would presume so, however considering that rumors are pointing towards implementing car damage in GT5, i'm not sure. Car damage (unless done entirely by physics - which would be freakin' AWESOME) would hog a lot of RAM, and these car models are soooo pretty i would reckon they already take up a lot of space...

haha look at you hint at car damage. We all know it's coming.

Not only, in GT4 you have heat from the road, etc that give more realistic on the visual aspect, and for the cars they are also more realist in the TV replay than the in-game, more polish and some little things who enhance the visual.

I only speak on the visual impression not the number of polygons by car, I think in replay you can enhance the AA, the lighting/shadow due to the fact that was scripted…

Hmm, I might be dumb but isn't the replay much less predictable?

I mean with the colour filter and camera angles changing accordingly to the music being played?

I mean the camera even moves faster than the cars.

If any the actual gameplay with more fixed camera angles and speeds should allow for those small touches.

Hmm, I might be dumb but isn't the replay much less predictable?

I mean with the colour filter and camera angles changing accordingly to the music being played?

I mean the camera even moves faster than the cars.

If any the actual gameplay with more fixed camera angles and speeds should allow for those small touches.

Your only rendering, your not calculating physics or AI or anything, you can use 100% at drawing nice cars, you allready know how the cars are going to move, where the camera is in relation to this in a 3d game wouldn't really matter (well, if your going to render all the cars at once from certain angles, it will be harder to render than just 1 car, but the camera moving alone doesn't matter.)

Your only rendering, your not calculating physics or AI or anything, you can use 100% at drawing nice cars, you allready know how the cars are going to move, where the camera is in relation to this in a 3d game wouldn't really matter (well, if your going to render all the cars at once from certain angles, it will be harder to render than just 1 car, but the camera moving alone doesn't matter.)

But the physics are done on the EE, not the GS which renders the graphics.

And with the replay camera more elements of the tracks are rendered due to the angle and placement where as during gameplay the camera is fixed without any drastic swirls.

But the physics are done on the EE, not the GS which renders the graphics.

In case you didn't realize, a CPU can render graphics, in fact a CPU can do anything a GPU can, but its just ridiculously slow in comparison in most situations

In a scripted replay, you can use all available resources to show off graphical fidelity, this includes using the CPU.

And with the replay camera more elements of the tracks are rendered due to the angle and placement where as during gameplay the camera is fixed without any drastic swirls.

Which is also why the replay mode, while adding graphical fidelity is rendered at 30fps and not 60fps

If memory servers, GT3 and GT4 both had 60fps replays. GT:HD Concept is the first GT to render replays at an intentionally lower fps than gameplay.

And regarding replays not needing physics, AI, etc., that might be true of GT:HD Concept, but I don't think it was true for the previous GTs, which probably recorded only player input and then recomputed all physics and AI during the replay. Recording everything would have required too much precious memory on PS2.

And regarding replays not needing physics, AI, etc., that might be true of GT:HD Concept, but I don't think it was true for the previous GTs, which probably recorded only player input and then recomputed all physics and AI during the replay. Recording everything would have required too much precious memory on PS2.

Um.....

Recording replays in game is very memory effective, whats normally done is just a record of whats happening in terms of numerical data. Basically this is what a in game recording looks like (well not quite but you get the idea).

Code:
Time: XX:XX
Car 1 coordinates XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX,  Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX 
Car 2 coordinates  XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX, Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX 
Car 3 coordinates  XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX, Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX 
Car 4 coordinates  XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX, Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX
Car 5 coordinates  XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX, Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX
Car 6 coordinates  XX,YY,ZZ, Speed: XX, Angle of movement: XX ,RPM: XX

I remember GunzOnline replays doing this, 30 minute 8vs8 matches would take up about 200kb. And this is a game which has combo moves that requires the player to hit the correct button at the correct frame of animation (basically meaning the updates would have to be very often)

WHat are you saying? Have you playied GT4? The game runs at steady 60fps in both replay and gameplay and both look superb.

Only GT:HD runs at 30fps during replay

When he asked whether it was just GT4 doing that I took his comment as a confirmation as GT4 going down to 30fps...and I only knew about GTHD doing that, so I added the two together and got both.

Sorry :( was just trying to say that GTHD does it. My bad.

Is it for GT4 and GT:HD that it renders at 30fps during replay or only for GT4? :oops:

GT:HD i know drops in framerate, i have no idea of what GT4 does (im getting old, my memory isn't what it was, sold my ps2 summer 2005), i dont remember GT4 being much better in replay mode (there was subtle differences thought)

GT:HD i know drops in framerate, i have no idea of what GT4 does (im getting old, my memory isn't what it was, sold my ps2 summer 2005), i dont remember GT4 being much better in replay mode (there was subtle differences thought)

I see, thanks.

When he asked whether it was just GT4 doing that I took his comment as a confirmation as GT4 going down to 30fps...and I only knew about GTHD doing that, so I added the two together and got both.

Sorry :( was just trying to say that GTHD does it. My bad.

Yeah my question was a bit unclear. I assumed it atleast was GT4 that had 30fps replays since the replay conversation appeared to have started with the mention of GT4.. my fault. :smile:

Um.....

Recording replays in game is very memory effective, whats normally done is just a record of whats happening in terms of numerical data. Basically this is what a in game recording looks like (well not quite but you get the idea).

To record the post-computation numerical data, for each car, every frame, you would roughly need:

1. Position (3D) and orientation (3D) of car body -- 24 bytes
2. Position (1D) and orientation (3D) of each front wheel -- 16 bytes
3. Position (1D) and orientation (1D) of each rear wheel -- 8 bytes
4. Dashboard details (RPM, speed, gear, etc.) -- ~16 bytes
5. Brake/accelerator levels -- 2 bytes

Or 66 bytes. So each second would generate 6*66*60 or 23,760 bytes. In GT4, there are endurance races that last several hours. My memory fails exactly how long they can be, but assume they can be up to 4 hours. That's 326 MB!

So clearly that's not really feasible on a console with just 32 MB of memory.

On the other hand, if you record just the player's inputs, and recalculate the physics and AI during the replay, then each frame you only need:

1. Brake/accelerator levels -- 2 bytes
2. Steering wheel position -- 1 byte
3. Gear shift buttons -- 2 bits rounded up to 1 byte

This adds up to 240 bytes per second. The 4 hour race would then be just 3.3 MB. This data is also highly amenable to very simple run-length encoding compression to save even more memory. (Even 3.3 MB is a lot of data when you have a total of just 32 MB.)

Given the memory savings, I just don't see why any developer would go with the record-everything approach.

Back