GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

If my memory is correct, GT3 had different (better?) traction\grip physics. For example, you could actually drift, and do spins rather easly in GT3, like in real life. Wheras in GT4 RWD cars generally had to much grip.

But now drift is back in a big way :) I think they know they went in the wrong direction with GT4.

If my memory is correct, GT3 had different (better?) traction\grip physics. For example, you could actually drift, and do spins rather easly in GT3, like in real life. Wheras in GT4 RWD cars generally had to much grip.

Perhaps, though if I'm not mistaken, grip was quite high in GT3 as well. Also, even if the grip levels are quite high, I do know that a few of the cars (example Lotus Elise 111R) are extremely difficult to drift given the weight at the back and low torque and sticky tyres. This was quite apparent in the game and makes sense.

The only thing *I* can think of that I thought was better in GT3 than GT4 was the 'wet track' :) That was killer and I hate Polyphony for not bringing it to GT4.

Grip

Perhaps, though if I'm not mistaken, grip was quite high in GT3 as well. Also, even if the grip levels are quite high, I do know that a few of the cars (example Lotus Elise 111R) are extremely difficult to drift given the weight at the back and low torque and sticky tyres. This was quite apparent in the game and makes sense.

The only thing *I* can think of that I thought was better in GT3 than GT4 was the 'wet track' :) That was killer and I hate Polyphony for not bringing it to GT4.

I remember a little playing GT3 and I remember Ruf AWD has not enough grip and always understeer. Maybe I was driving too fast in corners and using wrong tires! I am not sure. But it has amazing graphics. I used Ruf AWD for Rally tracks and it was amazing to see wheels move over bumps. Sometimes too much and it clips through body fender.

Can't comment on the RUF AWD, but many AWD tend to understeer, at least initially. It's also something many car manufacturers do on purpose.

I recall the RUF RWD to be quite drift happy though - especially on that wet track (same again, first understeer, followed by a lot of oversteer).

RUF's being based on the 911 do understeer. you have to use weight transfer to get the front end to bit, then you're at the peril of the rear end :D

I think you are thinking of the Simulation Tires. These are the only tires with less grip than even the cheapest road tires have to offer in GT4. They aren't very well known, but I've had great fun driving with them. However, the fact that they had so little grip and were insanely difficult to drive didn't necessarily make them more realistic than GT4's cheapest tires (for regular cars it has Road Tires 1-3, Sports Tires 1-3 and Race Tires 1-3 I think, and then for Race Tires 1-5). GT4's driving model was certainly better than GT3s, in terms of realistic handling anyway.

However, GT:HD's handling far surpasses GT4's. In terms of grip, it's now nigh-on perfect, imho. I'm not 100% sure about the braking yet though.

By the way, GT4 had more RUFs than GT3, so be sure you know what two models you are comparing. ;)

As I recall (haven't played it since I got rFactor) from reading an interview at the time, the standard tyres in GT4 (N1-3? sports, ecconomy comfort?) are actually slicks, and realistic road tyres are the simulation ones. Which are supposed to be equivelant to decent road tyres!

EDIT: I don't know how these equate to GT3's tyres though.

As I recall (haven't played it since I got rFactor) from reading an interview at the time, the standard tyres in GT4 (N1-3? sports, ecconomy comfort?) are actually slicks, and realistic road tyres are the simulation ones. Which are supposed to be equivelant to decent road tyres!

EDIT: I don't know how these equate to GT3's tyres though.

The only possibility for the above paragraph to be correct, is if you substitute GT4 by GT3. I'm not sure if it is really correct then still, but certainly more correct ...

Standart tires still have much more grip than my Pirelli P-Zero tires does. And P-Zero tires are pretty much as good as it gets before you put on real racing slicks (P-Zero is standart tires for everything from Merc AMG to Ferrari's)..

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me Forza2 physics with GT art style and it'll be the best racing game to date. However, I'm not willing to trade the core driving part for presentation fluff. I hope they take care of the sim part first, then focus on the polishing.

GT3 had me addicted like you couldn't believe but GT4 completely turned me off. I'm hoping they go back to the GT3 days. Damn, now I wanna go find a copy of GT3 and race the Senna94s around Monaco :p

You're confusing gimmicks with good physics. Not that Forza 2 has egregiously bad physics (unlike some past pretenders to the throne *cough* Sega GT *cough*), but it's certainly not better than GT's.

You're confusing gimmicks with good physics. Not that Forza 2 has egregiously bad physics (unlike some past pretenders to the throne *cough* Sega GT *cough*), but it's certainly not better than GT's.

GT's is just so far off in a lot of cases (4 minute time for the Nurburgring says hello) that I consider FM2 to be a lot better. IIRC, the record for the ring was a 6:11 in a porsche. That car and track is a time trial in FM2, and the record so far is around 6:16. GT4 had records around 4:50 that included going into the grass at 180 mph with no bad effects...

You have to elaborate after giving such a statement

Not really. GT4 simulation tires were the closest to real life in GT4

Standart tires still have much more grip than my Pirelli P-Zero tires does. And P-Zero tires are pretty much as good as it gets before you put on real racing slicks (P-Zero is standart tires for everything from Merc AMG to Ferrari's)..

Which P-Zero are you refering to? The Semi-Slicks? Performance of semi-slicks like the P-Zero tyres depend also on the weight of your car. Even then, they aren't the best on the market and not much better than ordinary street tyres.

I would say it's rather difficult to compare tyre grip levels of that in a game with the one fitted on cars. There are so many different tyres and tyre compounds outthere that it would make it next to impossible to "simulate" every single one of them. To make things easier, GT4 obviously has a set of tyres with different grip levels - they won't be directly comparable to the hundreds of ones available in real life. Then there are other factors, such as temperature, tyre pressure - they all make a large difference. At what temperature did you test your car? What was the air-pressure of your tyres? This are all factors that may influence the outcome.

GT's is just so far off in a lot of cases (4 minute time for the Nurburgring says hello) that I consider FM2 to be a lot better. IIRC, the record for the ring was a 6:11 in a porsche. That car and track is a time trial in FM2, and the record so far is around 6:16. GT4 had records around 4:50 that included going into the grass at 180 mph with no bad effects...

What car was the 4 Min time done with?

GT's is just so far off in a lot of cases (4 minute time for the Nurburgring says hello) that I consider FM2 to be a lot better. IIRC, the record for the ring was a 6:11 in a porsche. That car and track is a time trial in FM2, and the record so far is around 6:16.

It took people in GT4 a lot longer to get to 6:16 initially. ;)

GT4 had records around 4:50 that included going into the grass at 180 mph with no bad effects...

With what car and settings? What driving mode?

Mind you, you can 'latch onto' the curbs with two wheels with the rest of your car on the grass to gain time with a number of cars in GT4 on some sections of the Ring, so I agree with you in principle (that is assuming that this isn't possible in Forza 2 in any case). But that doesn't mean that GT4 wouldn't give you realistic times if you stick to driving on the road as much as real life people do ... In that case, it's just a matter of weighing different aspects of realism against each other, determining which weighs heaviest for you, and then decide which of the two is actually more realistic. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, so I can't give my personal view on that, but I can ask questions on your method of verification. ;)

IIRC, the record for the ring was a 6:11 in a porsche. That car and track is a time trial in FM2, and the record so far is around 6:16.

Official record is 6:25,91 by Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956 in 1983. Other lap records with road legal tyres is a Radical SR8 (6:55) and Donkevoort D8RS (7:14).

Mind you, you can 'latch onto' the curbs with two wheels with the rest of your car on the grass to gain time with a number of cars in GT4 on some sections of the Ring, so I agree with you in principle (that is assuming that this isn't possible in Forza 2 in any case). But that doesn't mean that GT4 wouldn't give you realistic times if you stick to driving on the road as much as real life people do ... In that case, it's just a matter of weighing different aspects of realism against each other, determining which weighs heaviest for you, and then decide which of the two is actually more realistic. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, so I can't give my personal view on that, but I can ask questions on your method of verification. ;)
Surely that would work in real life also (although I doubt anyone would try it religiously as it will probably break the car)

It's just like rallying, if a corner is well rutted, following cars will "hook" themselves in and be able to go round quicker than a car that went before the ruts were created.

Back