Gran Turismo 5 - gameplay only thread

Finally got gold on the first one.
I haven't checked what kind of tuning options there are - I didn't have any of the cars for the first three so I just bought them new, turned off TCS and dove in. It does seem that you can win them that way though - I got second on the first two and first with the Mazda (tried those only once). I sucked on Indy though, but I have an adjustable gear on my car there and it may actually have held me back (too much shifting) as well as just not being that great on the track (have to get back into it).
What I just did for the Indy one, was I bought the adjustable transmission and set it to a top speed 199mph (might of been able to go down one more step). I dunno how the car handles stock, but I also bought a spoiler and set the downforce on the rear to max. I figured it's a heavy, fairly high-powered FR car, so I thought it would help. Beat it quite easily by almost 8 seconds.

Just past the 10m credit mark thanks to that race and got the "multi-millionaire" trophy.

edit: Just beat them all. No prize car or anything, but I got a sh*tload of credits and XP. I used a GT-R 07 for the last race and it was pretty tight (passed the last guy on the second last turn). The car is well over the minimum weight requirement at ~1400kg (requirement 1100kg) even after all the weight reductions, and I was even slightly under the power requirement.

Great update, and the seasonal events were awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
really notice the increased headlamp range! I'd say there's a .....25/30% increased visibility. Really notice on SS Route 5, the tight left hand hair pin (cobbled stones). Before the patch it's was pitch black. Now it's not. You even see the dark blue sky as you reach the top of the rise.

really notice the increased headlamp range! I'd say there's a .....25/30% increased visibility. Really notice on SS Route 5, the tight left hand hair pin (cobbled stones). Before the patch it's was pitch black. Now it's not. You even see the dark blue sky as you reach the top of the rise.

Didn't look at that, but I guess perhaps that sky thing means they've upped the general brightness / EV settings? I have upped the EV on SS Route 5 myself on occasion, because it really was a bit dark. Not that it is unrealistic that it's dark at night, but in the city it is rarely that dark ...

@patsu: you're welcome :) Someone else gave it to me spontaneously when I already had one ...

Also got gold on the first one yesterday - it took me an hour though! I had been experimenting with no ABS, and I was also a bit late to the idea that I should probably upgrade the springs and clutch and stuff and replace the windows to lose that 10kg excess baggage. And although I did pretty decently without ABS (got within 1.5 secs) I really needed to focus more on late braking to get that last bit of time.

When driving without the ABS though I noticed that one complaint I saw from some people about FF simulation was immediately resolved. Without ABS, you can easily get an FF car into a drift.

yay! SS Route 5 conquered. Fastest lap of 1:27:216. Awesome set of events with rewards that really ARE rewards! Oh, on a totally unrelated note. Please check out Fluidity/Hydroventure on Wii. With plenty of audio by yours truly! Plug over.

I still went for the GT-R SpecV '09. Put every tuning part in there the requirements would allow and won quite easily. Best lap was 1:26.883.

These new events are awesome. It's a shame we'll have to wait until the next one's.

Nice lap!

Thanks. :p SS route 5 is one of my favourite tracks. I played it to the point of boredom in previous GT's. I was hoping we would get SS route 11 back in GT5 as well.

I just did the AMG challenge on expert. It takes a lot of getting used to driving that SLS in the rain. Thankfully staying on the track isn't a requirement for doing well. I somehow managed to get all silver with some very sloppy driving. I did 8:41.797 on the full lap

Ok I think I have got a problem with my signature edition

The EU competition is up

I was playing on my US account therefore my driver was leveled on that. The competition of course is valid only for the EU. I am not sure if I can use that account to participate. And if yes, I am not sure if I can transfer my save to the EU account to use my leveled driver

Secondly I tried to redeem my code on both the UK and the US account and it tells me that it is invalid. What the hell!!

Yeah the SS5 and Indy events weren't as hard as I first thought. Ended up in first in tge fourth lap already in Indy and well before the straight for SS5, with a best lap of 1.26.2. I also did the Time Trial with the RX-8 and got it down to 1.19.642 only after I installed the LSD and messed with its settings a bit.

I've really had to relearn Rome! (And SS5 and Indy too btw).

Did a lot of B-Spec today, so now the proud owner of a cool and very useful Zonda R.

The Fiat 500 race is the most difficult. Which is strange because it has the lowest rewards in terms credits and XP. Still a lot more then most A-spec races though.

Is there anything to be won by doing well in the time trails? It doesn't seem like there is. I don't really want to buy and tune a new car just to compete in a time trail.

Nope, no immediate awards. In theory they could do some awards for the Time Trials once the two weeks are over, which would be cool. Right now though, all they do is offer you an opportunity to see where you stand in the global scheme of things (in my case, 2 seconds worth of tuning and better driving).

hey guys just wondering. When you give cars to afriend do you lose the cars from your garage? Or do you get them back later?

Secondly when you set cars to be available online, what exactly does that mean and do? Does this mean that anyone from the friend list only, can use these cars? And if yes do they ware off when they use them, or can they make changes on them? Is there anything else I should know??

The car is removed from your garage. I dunno if they come back, or if the person has to send it back. I let Antan borrow my Countach last week and it's still missing from my garage :p (no biggy, I don't need it :p)

Dunno about your second question.

The Fiat 500 race is the most difficult. Which is strange because it has the lowest rewards in terms credits and XP. Still a lot more then most A-spec races though.

Is there anything to be won by doing well in the time trails? It doesn't seem like there is. I don't really want to buy and tune a new car just to compete in a time trail.
Agreed. The Fiat was the only challenging one for me.

As for the TT, you don't get any XP or credits, but you get to see how your time compares to everyone else's on the online leaderboard. The RX8 + minor tuning should cost you less than 100k which can be made up in a single race event.

Damn - I just reached my first 1'000'000 yesterday and wasted it on a McLaren F1 and some mods... It handles like an absolute nightmare! :(

Any advice on how to tune it in a way that it becomes usuable? I'm actually thinking of selling it (probably won't get much for it) to get some Ferrari or Lamborghini to complete those events. Really feel gutted at the moment. I will want to own the F1 eventually, but using up my entire savings on what is my 3rd car and still heaps of events still to win/unlock wasn't really the brightest idea... :(

Help! :(

A little late, but once fully modded the Mc F1 you defenitely need to put on the aero package on it. It's my go to car for all the events that allows it. Only a few race cars can keep up with it. I thought it handles pretty good.

Anyway I just got a few more events to complete in extreme. That German Touring (bloody hell where can you get the car for this one?) and Polyphony Formula thing (this event is like an endurance race, gotta find the time to do it all at once) and the street courses in Nascar. Also just unlock endurace and did the first one, damn I hate doing endurance race on the course I don't like.

Now talking about bad handling, Nascar on street handle like crap. Seriously why even bother racing it on non-oval circuit. Than there is the Tank Car, dear me, they should fit a canon on it, to make it fun.

On the opposite, Audi R8 handles like a dream, a very nice rounded car. Got any recommendation on nice handling (fast) car, that is on the dealership ? I'll be grinding till level 30 so I might as well drive something nice.

Ya, love the R8.

For the German Touring race, I think I bought the Lexus IS-F that's allowed for that race (forget exactly what it's called).

Back