GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

Ah! Come on! The images on the right side are all too clean and have unconvincing color! 100!1!!% bullshots if you ask me! ;-)

Hehe I know you're joking...but there is some truth in what you say. There's something about the right images that make them "look like" images from a computer game...whereas the left look more "real". Strange. That's what I feel anyway...just talking about the car models though.

I can assure you that in game models and replay models/"shaders" at least in GT3/4 are exactly the same..hiihh ;)

Really? Because i remember something about small stuff being swapped in replay mode. Like for example, having real 3d rim's in replay mode and not just a flat 2d texture.

Really? Because i remember something about small stuff being swapped in replay mode. Like for example, having real 3d rim's in replay mode and not just a flat 2d texture.

No, the 3D rims are only available in photo mode, and the car selection screen.

By the way, there's little point in comparing the no 23 car to the no 1 car. The comparisons between the no 23 car and itself are more convincing. ;)

The last official word we had on this was that GT:HD had been dropped as a retail release, but Sony would continue to release 'Concept' downloads on the road to GT5. I would consider GT:HD Concept, in its various incarnations going forward, to be like testing for GT5.

Here's an article from when that was announced:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/748/748610p1.html

Sony announced today that it has cancelled the retail release of Gran Turismo HD in favor of a full-fledged Gran Turismo 5 product.

This will be just the first of multiple "Concept" downloads. While specifics on the content to be included in the downloads were not announced today, producer Kazunori Yamauchi did provide some hints at a message posted on the official Gran Turismo site. According to Yamauchi, the download available on Christmas Eve will give a first look at the high definition graphics provided by the PlayStation 3. The next Concept download will include Polyphony's next generation driving engine.

As for the online racing that was being promised for Gran Turismo HD, Yamauchi says that this will be included in the final Gran Turismo 5 product. Many of the other elements that were planned for GT HD will also make it into GT5, according to Yamauchi. A release date for this true next generation Gran Turismo has yet to be finalized.

The last official word we had on this was that GT:HD had been dropped as a retail release, but Sony would continue to release 'Concept' downloads on the road to GT5. I would consider GT:HD Concept, in its various incarnations going forward, to be like testing for GT5....

A release date for this true next generation Gran Turismo has yet to be finalized.

ahh well there you go... thanks T.

Some of the comparisons that lack the GTHD logo make me suspicious that theres been a switch-around. Obviously the game looks very nice.

This is why I keep saying (I know..I'm boring!) that most of the racers out there have plastic looking cars, GT series is on another planet from this point of view.

Agreed. The other ones just don't really compare.

Have you played GT:HD yet ?

Coming out of the tunnel there are some nice 'next-gen' lighting effects. I hope we don't get to the stage where games have to have unrealistic levels of bloom/hdr to be considered to have 'next-gen' lighting though.

EDIT: Having said that though, I would like to see some cloud/shadow effects rolling across the sky/ground.
heh no, I didn't. I mean, I don't even own a PS3.

I am a proud member of the forzamotorsport.net community, just to clarify things a bit. The thing is, graphics are impressive but that's pretty much that there is to it, given the fact that the photos are not in-game.

It's expected since there is only one car (probably pre-rendered) on screen at a time, the background is a picture of a mountain (Eiger Nordwand), static lighting -not vivid, I mean-, no skid marks, no real-time reflections, no damage, no deformations, no AF, no complex physics, no AI, etc.

So far it's pretty much GT4 with 1 car instead of 6, and the same absence of key features to consider it a true simulator.

Here is a real pic of Eiger Nordwand and the analogous one in GT:

http://i10.tinypic.com/3z184rt.jpg

Don't you see anything wrong here? Sense of scale is very bloody unnatural.... Yes, PD are geniuses at lighting but they're also artists of deception.

They like to make people believe how good they are at producing graphics on the PS2, but if all of us were a tad more observant we would realize that graphics are so artificial, contrived and full of themselves, that there's a lack of consistency and that they look too spectacular to be beliavable.

Other racing games are what they are, GT isn't (currently).

GT needs a PS3 to look more *natural*.

Cheers

Other racing games are what they are, GT isn't (currently).

GT needs a PS3 to look more *natural*.

Cheers

Well that's slightly absurd.

GTHD is one of the most realistic games around...and is an incredible demo. You expect that when the have full physics, AI, etc they will want to release a game that looks worse than GTHD. GT5 will look the same...and better.

The lighting is subtle...but that makes it look real...you don't get huge bloom and over the top HDR in real life all the time. The HDR is subtle going through the tunnel...but it's realistic.

It's a myth that the mountain is 2d. After living in Switzerland...often with a mountain a long way in the background...it does look like a painting/picture...its position does not change as you move past it as it is so far away from you.

Of course it's one car, no AI etc...but it still looks incredibly good, and GT5 will have to look just as good with at least 6 cars on screen.

Forza2 of course will have the best physics etc. but it still doesn't have that "uncanny valley" look that GT does. IMO

The last official word we had on this was that GT:HD had been dropped as a retail release, but Sony would continue to release 'Concept' downloads on the road to GT5. I would consider GT:HD Concept, in its various incarnations going forward, to be like testing for GT5.

Here's an article from when that was announced:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/748/748610p1.html

Ok I remember now. Thanks !

Cyan said:
It's expected since there is only one car (probably pre-rendered) on screen at a time, the background is a picture of a mountain (Eiger Nordwand), static lighting -not vivid, I mean-, no skid marks, no real-time reflections, no damage, no deformations, no AF, no complex physics, no AI, etc.

I have never played GT before until this demo. I like it ! It's incredibly beautiful and "realistic" compared to other 1-car demos (although I hate "Which one is real" posts). You can also see reflection of Nordwand on the car at certain part of the circuit. Good enough for me for now.

Yes, PD are geniuses at lighting but they're also artists of deception.

They like to make people believe how good they are at producing graphics on the PS2, but if all of us were a tad more observant we would realize that graphics are so artificial, contrived and full of themselves, that there's a lack of consistency and that they look too spectacular to be beliavable.

Give me their style over others. I am one of those who believe that realism is more boring than fantasy. I think their art direction is spot on.

I guess one of the best compliments to PD's artwork is that people keep thinking that the Eiger mountain in the track is a picture, rather than a 3D model (which it really is).

I guess one of the best compliments to PD's artwork is that people keep thinking that the Eiger mountain in the track is a picture, rather than a 3D model (which it really is).

Exactly. It really is a huge compliment. And it really is funny how in real life the Alps for example...look like a picture or painting. It is 3d and spectacular.

Will GT5 be a 1080p game or 720p game?

Who knows. I expect they are pushing for 1080p...like most games on the ps3 are...eg. Motorstorm, Resistance pushed for it, but couldn't get there for release. HS isn't as they have both AA and HDR going on and other effects. Whether they get it for GT5 by release is a question we won't know for a while.

Back