GT 5 Prologue this fall, Gran Turismo 5 spring 2008

I guess one of the best compliments to PD's artwork is that people keep thinking that the Eiger mountain in the track is a picture, rather than a 3D model (which it really is).

or calling those cars pre-rendered ;)

Forza2 of course will have the best physics etc. but it still doesn't have that "uncanny valley" look that GT does. IMO

Says who ? the only thing Forza may have over GT5 will most likely be damage models and customisation.

or calling those cars pre-rendered ;)

Says who ? the only thing Forza may have over GT5 will most likely be damage models and customisation.

From past experience. And that Forza is doing 360 calculations per second for realistic physics.

I'm sure GT5 will pull out all the stops...also damage is in. And online is in in a big way, customisation wouldn't want to guess about that

I like the art and lighting styling of the GT games, especially the HD demo/concept. Time will tell if they are able to keep that level of realism once multiple interactive cars are on screen, and in game mode no less. My brother already has PS3, so if I don't get one before GT5 comes out I'm sure I will enjoy it on his.

As for the mountain in the background, if it really is 3D then that is an insane number of polygons being used to generate it, and a pretty wasteful use at that when a skybox texture might work just as well. But with one car on screen, perhaps the poly budget is there to be used on "something."

Don't you see anything wrong here? Sense of scale is very bloody unnatural.... Yes, PD are geniuses at lighting but they're also artists of deception.
Interesting comment. The same can be said of 99.9% of movie makers. They create visuals that are appealing, rather than realistic. eg. Film the exterior of a house from one view, and film a different house when looking through the doorway outwards to get the impression that the house you saw front-on is placed somewhere in the world it isn't. Film is awash with bogus, unrealistic lighting too.

The choice Polyphony had was present the mountain in accurate scale, in which case the background would be either solid green field or solid grey rock - or doctor the environment to make a fantastic situation that's far more enjoyable to ride around in. The fact they chose the latter shows a lot of artistic sense! Rather than grumble at Polyphony 'cheating' by being clever in artistry to make their games look good, grumble at other developers that they're not using the know-how of centuries of artistry from painting composition to cinematography to make their games look good too!

From past experience. And that Forza is doing 360 calculations per second for realistic physics.

Well, I'm not going to argue that there's a definitive relationship between physics sampling rate and physics 'quality', but Kazunori Yamauchi has been talking about a physics sampling rate of 300-600 times per second with next-gen GT.

I like the art and lighting styling of the GT games, especially the HD demo/concept. Time will tell if they are able to keep that level of realism once multiple interactive cars are on screen, and in game mode no less. My brother already has PS3, so if I don't get one before GT5 comes out I'm sure I will enjoy it on his.

As for the mountain in the background, if it really is 3D then that is an insane number of polygons being used to generate it, and a pretty wasteful use at that when a skybox texture might work just as well. But with one car on screen, perhaps the poly budget is there to be used on "something."

Not all of the mountains are 3d, but the nearest one is. And I don`t think it has to be all that detailed to look accurate.Some nice mapping could do the trick. Also you only need one side of the mountain for that track.
GT vs real:

Eigertrack.jpg

To see for yourselves that the mountain is in fact 3d, just wait with starting the race and you'll eventually pan across the mountain in a helicopter-view:)
I mean, don't press the race button, but wait for a lot of fly-by scenes of the whole track. It is a very nice feature and I hope they will include it on every track in GT5.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw for those that may be criticizing Polyphony for their mountain also for not being full there, the right picture is much farther than the track and so its natural you ll be able to see the mountains behind the front ones. The left in game one is nearer towards the front mountain, so its expected that there was no reason for Polyphony to reneder that one since it wouldnt have been visible anyways.

The road in the left pic is actually the road seen very very far away in the backdrop of the right one

As for the mountain in the background, if it really is 3D then that is an insane number of polygons being used to generate it

Actually, I don't think they use that many polygons. More of the quality comes from very good texturing.

, and a pretty wasteful use at that when a skybox texture might work just as well.

I don't think so, actually. I have a feeling that at high-def, you need a very memory hungry skybox texture. I think this may actually be more efficient. I think I saw something related in Forza, but I will discuss that in that thread.

But with one car on screen, perhaps the poly budget is there to be used on "something."

Certainly PD have a tradition of creating tracks that are more suitable to rally style racing rather than track-racing - narrow roads that don't leave much room for overtaking, but with awesome graphics. Think of the amazing Citta di Aria track in Gran Turismo 4, which is really one of the most beautiful things I've seen in terms of graphics on the PS2. So I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be one of those tracks where you can only have duels.

Rather obviously, photoshopped GTHD car into real track.

Still excellent display of how good the car models in this game are!

Yuh good though innit.

It's amazing how close we're getting now...kind of scary. I feel some kind of Terminator effect happening soon. I mean the Cell does look very much like the chip inside Arny's skull. Scary ;)

Back