Tomb Raider exclusivity fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Sebbi saying in another thread regarding the cost of going multi-platform and the tradeoffs you need to make. And how "time" ultimately was the enemy for achieving higher textures for TrialsHD..

I'm happy with Sunset Overdrive and how that turned out for its devs, and now the same opportunity is given to Crystal for Tomb Raider to realize there vision..

As phil puts it ... its a "win-win" and "Partnership will help Crystal Dynamics achieve ambition"

Sorry that some are hurt by this, namely the PS folk. BUT as a developer myself im happy that they can make the game they truly want to and not be held back by multi-platform (atleast initially)..

p.s. I also hope they leverage Turn10's or Halo's engine for Tomb Raider, a guy can dream ... :)

ref: to phil quotes http://www.computerandvideogames.com/473920/tomb-raider-exclusivity-a-win-win-says-xbox-boss/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this could be another golden era of videogames, :cool: like the Megadrive vs SNES war, where some companies favoured a console, there were stolen exclusives and each console had a lot of exclusives.

I hope so. Sony has Uncharted already.

I am in favour of this kind of confrontation 'cos this means we as users have a special treat, and I like bias when it comes to this, so... I am so happy with this exclusive. :p

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/251351...s_over_tomb_raiders_xbox_one_exclusivity.html

I don't see how people can accept literally locking fully funded third party games to a single platform, ones that had multiplatform prequels. Is that really what you expect out of the industry? Buying entire game franchises and locking them away from a majority of consumers because you have the dollar signs?

"Oh but there are plenty of third party exclusive games around" They aren't all created the same, this is probably the only example i've ever witnessed where something like this has happened. And yet people accept it as business like they were family with the CEO's of these companies. maybe its just me

:LOL:

Funny when TR: DE sold 2x more on PS4.

Also, at E3, MS said something along the lines of, "along with our exclusive lineup, we showed games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty AW etc.,", so clearly MS bought this from SE/CD fairly recently. Partnership my ass.

edit: This is so fitting too. :LOL:
f_HJqe_RU.jpg

Obviously a joke. It will still sell moderately well on XB1 (and X360?) but this hurts the franchise IMO.

Wow, I couldn't make it past the 2 minute mark. I'm sure he's hamming it up a bit for laughs(hopefully) and as click bait. I'd rather it's entirely those two things than him actually being that upset. I'd be ashamed if someone caught me ranting like that on film.

Joe does good work. He voices the concerns of the people in his namesake when its necessary. If people are looking for refined highbrow standards, look somewhere else

Joe does good work. He voices the concerns of the people in his namesake when its necessary. If people are looking for refined highbrow standards, look somewhere else

He hasn't spoken up about any sony dlc or 3rd party exclusives . So he doesn't really voice the concerns of the people.

And what of full games like no man sky or day light ? Dynasty warriors ? FF XIV , tranistor ?

Those are new IPs. FF14 is probably due to Xbox live policies or something.
You're comparing an established franchise with massive fan base to a new untested IP with very little fan base.
Not to mention Sony has been very clear that those indie games will show up on other consoles eventually.

Apples and oranges.

Those are new IPs. FF14 is probably due to Xbox live policies or something.
You're comparing an established franchise with massive fan base to a new untested IP with very little fan base.

Apples and oranges.

I disagree with you on this. I don't think it matters that previous games were multi-platform.

I do agree on DLC. People used to complain about exclusive dlc, but that battle has been lost. It's not really equivalent anyways. I can't think of a game that was a massively gimped game without the dlc. Destiny will have a massive amount of content on Xbox One, and will be worth the money for the people who are into that kind of game. Exclusive DLC for PS4 is not the same as having a full title exclusive.

And what of full games like no man sky or day light ? Dynasty warriors ? FF XIV , tranistor ?
Those are true partnership deals, ie games that were always planned to be exclusive. Much like Ryse or Scalebound on XB1. Not planned multiplatform games that are bought. This game was listed as a MP game up until E3. This was not a partnership deal, it was simply bought and stolen by M$.

And it does matter where these established titles were born, because it is more likely for those developers/publishers to want to work with the same company. Tomb Raider is known more as a PS game. There's no way CD/SE would WANT to work with M$ exclusively, for the aforementioned reason, and the fact that TR DE sold 2x more on PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back