Rise of the Tomb Raider [XO, XOX, X360, PS4, P4Pro]

:oops:

That's quite a major announcement. Smart move by Microsoft and is exactly what the Xbox One needs. Not sure it will make much difference, as I feel they'll just be missing out on a lot of sales...

If there was one franchise up for grabs that could be substantial, it's Tomb Raider.

Pitty, I was quite looking forward to playing this the day it comes out. Seems like I'll just have to wait a little while longer... :(

Megaton.

Totally unexpected and quite frankly if someone told me before the announcement I would say it doesnt make any sense for such an exclusivity.

They basically bypassed the more powerful console with the bigger userbase, on which Tomb Raider was a success. They are also limiting the potential market by supporting one platform where before they released on every major platform.

I smell time-exclusive

If it is a timed exclusive, then PS4 probably will get the "definitive edition" ;)
Anyway, if this is not a timed exclusive, then either SE is stupid or MS throws lots of money to them to offset the potential lost of sales.

Really interesting when you consider the history of Tomb Raider . Part 2 was one of the first money hats sony did back in the day.

They really should have announced a tomb raider bundle.

While it does smell like a time exclusive, the link makes it seem as if the game is and will remain exclusive. I'm actually quite baffled by this.

Accoarding to this link, back in February, PS4 version of Tomb Raider: Definite Edition outsold the Xbox One version quite significantly. I wonder what the LTD sales are, but given the difference in console sales, I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't still heavily in the PS4s favor.

Wasn't the next Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) shown as a trailer at E3 for the PS4?

In anycase - very smart move by Microsoft. Even if it's a timed exclusive and even if it's as little as 6 months - if they can keep that fact behind closed doors until it launches on Xbox One, it could prove to be quite a coup. Either that, or the game will have luck luster sales (well compared to what they could be selling anyway).

As quite a big fan of the Tomb Raider reboot (and the original games), I must say that Rise of the Tomb Raider was one of my most anticipated titles for the foreseable future. Yes, ahead of many many exclusives - perhaps only third to the next Metal Gear and Uncharted. It still won't get me to actually buy a Xbox One. For those that haven't bought a next gen console though and are on the fence, perhaps this will sway them to the Xbox brand.

sales aren't as important as strait up cash and advertising . At $60 your not actually making $60 its going to be under $30. So even if the ps4 outsold the xbox one with tomb raider that's still going to be 30m or less . So add in strait up cash and joint advertising and ms could have gotten the exclusive for under 30m . If its timed exclusive they could have gotten it for even less

I'm not going to lie - This freaking sucks.

I really liked Tomb Raider reboot (despite having too many "epic" everything breaks apart moments). I can't imagene to size of the money hat MS had to pay to get this exclusive. Oh well, I guess I'll never play the sequel then.

sales aren't as important as strait up cash and advertising . At $60 your not actually making $60 its going to be under $30. So even if the ps4 outsold the xbox one with tomb raider that's still going to be 30m or less . So add in strait up cash and joint advertising and ms could have gotten the exclusive for under 30m . If its timed exclusive they could have gotten it for even less

Probably. In other words, use the time-exclusive (if it is) to get lots of publicity and essentially free marketing as the "big Xbox blockbuster" - then eventually, ship to the other platforms with less need for advertising. Although, I'm not sure Tomb Raider in itself needs much advertising. It's still effectively one of the big names/franchise even if the games have seen some rough times in the past.

If it isn't a timed exclusive i wont be buying it. Seriously, Microsoft are scummy for doing this sort of thing. We're talking about a game that had a prequel that was multiplatform on every console. And its not even a situation where the funding wasnt there and Microsoft picked it up like Nintendo with Bayonetta. SE is funding this title again completely. Microsoft are literally paying SE to not have it come to anywhere except Xbox for no reason than that.

This kinda ruins my day a bit, I hope it runs 1080p on my Xbone coz that's how I want to virgin experience a nextgen TR game. It shows how much SE doesn't care about its potential customers and fan base while prioritize on dollars first, will trade it in once I finished it as I don't support such business act:(.

Xbox 360 in late 2015? Really?

It took a year for last Tomb Raider to make money so probably good decision for SE to take the money. On PS4 Uncharted would be released at the same time eating sales

Bah ! I so wanted to play this on my ps4. I just don't enjoy PC that much anymore, somehow.

So its gonna be Uncharted vs Tomb Raider in 2015 ?!?! Uncharted wins, obviously :smug: , one can live without Lara but one cannot live without Elena :love: :oops: !
Suck it up MS, we don't care about you :p !

This is weird though. It can only be a lot of money, no other logic can make it happen. I say six months max ! No more ! They couldn't have thrown THAT much money at TR to make it an actual exclusive. Is TR a big brand anymore? I don't think so. But, yes, I was really looking forward to it after the DE on my ps4.

Well, there are indications that this may not be a timed exclusive, but the real deal... as I sadly suspected as per the announcement (see twitter link bellow). When the head of the studio comes out with a press release to address the fans in an almost apologetic manner, it's gotta be a serious deal...

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/499174952135057408

Well, there are indications that this may not be a timed exclusive, but the real deal... as I sadly suspected as per the announcement (see twitter link bellow). When the head of the studio comes out with a press release to address the fans in an almost apologetic manner, it's gotta be a serious deal...

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/499174952135057408

If it IS truly exclusive, then well, I guess thats that :shrug: . Its alright, but SE lost a fan. It was a sure buy from my side, after TRDE. I think they lost a lot of fans. All I can hope is the money does them good but in my opinion a company needs fans in the longer run.

But then you know how fickle gamers are. We will all be back on board the moment they announce a multiplat sequel. I just wish it wasn't on X360 too. They should focus on next gen now, but I guess the X360 install base must have made them feel secure in this deal.

But then, how many will care for a 360 in 2015? Its a weird deal, unless CD was in real financial trouble. Best of luck to them ! But I still believe it will come to PC, for sure.

Back