Poor moderation in the Tomb Raider thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MfA

Legend
The thread started with this :

"Rise of the Tomb Raider: XB1
Xbox One exclusive. My guess is timed for a year or something.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/12/599...xbox-exclusive"

It has a first page of posts talking about nothing but exclusivity. What's this thread about? The game says the moderation ... really? Change the thread title and/or move the thread, but don't hijack it and force it off topic. The amount of moderation necessary afterwards shows that was not a good idea.

So you're saying that after things went to total hell that you would have preferred the entire thread to be nuked instead of trying to keep it what it should have been about?

It was posted in the "Console Games" section which should be about the game -- gameplay and graphics and user experiences. It should not be about the implications of business moves and decisions and how corporations are evil. This mess could have been avoided entirely if the first contributors had applied any tiny amount of thought before they posted.

After the first moderation decisions were done to try to keep the thread on the topic of the section at hand (Console Games) the users blindly ignored the suggested moderation directions.

I suppose what you really want is for the moderators to crack down on those troublesome users and have banned them outright instead of trying to guide the discussion so it's suitable for the section it's posted in.

Nothing went any where, it was an exclusivity thread from the very start ... so yeah, lock it or move it.

PS. at this point you should really lock it by the way, the original discussion has moved on to a new thread so moving it doesn't make much sense any more, but as it stands the old thread will create a lot of late replies you feel you have to moderate. The game itself deserves a thread with a better OP and without an entire first page of exclusivity talk tricking people into posting replies you deem off topic ...

The exclusivity deal and the way it was handled generated some negativity towards microsoft and xbox one.
Some people are.. uncomfortable around such negativity, which I believe is part of the reason the original discussion had to change.

Be very careful of what you say about microsoft and xbox one in the console gaming forums. It's a lesson that you might remember I learned the hard way.

Yes, as ToTTenTranz points out do be mindful of all of your posts especially your trolling. All trolls will be punished. We moderate both sides identically. It just happens that one group feels the need to justify their purchases more vocally than the other.

Yes, as ToTTenTranz points out do be mindful of all of your posts especially your trolling. All trolls will be punished. We moderate both sides identically. It just happens that one group feels the need to justify their purchases more vocally than the other.

I perfectly agree with the bolded part. This thread shows very clearly which side is, by far, the most aggressive towards other users.

I perfectly agree with the bolded part. This thread shows very clearly which side is, by far, the most aggressive towards other users.

But isn't this the beauty of B3D? This is the most MS/Xbox centric forum around the planet and basically the reason I visit it every single day.

ProTip: just be a little bit sensible this gen, as they(?!?) went from hardware superiority to meh hardware and are still not used to it and thus react a bit allergic if fingers are put into the wound :p :D :cool:

Hail to my beloved MS, hail to my super sexy X1 (in before I get banned...and please Shifty: don't make me your concubine!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the most MS/Xbox centric forum around the planet
Are you for real? :D I've got a bunch of people here on ignore because they take every and any chance to underline Sony's superiority, regardless of whether it's on of off topic. And they thrive here. So do some xbots. But it ends up pretty even so, yeah, MS centric. Sure.

No moderators are Sony fanboys so it'll never be even. Unless shifty wants to take up the mantel lol

No moderators are Sony fanboys so it'll never be even. Unless shifty wants to take up the mantel lol

You seem to forget at least one moderator works for Sony.

Last I talked with him about this cluster mess his viewpoint seemed to be in alignment with the rest of us; Sony fanboys are out of control on the B3D console forums.

So is it a request for mods to take their ban hammers and see if things get better ?

The console forum generate the most traffic & noise, IMO it's mostly useless, so should we close it ?

I would, there is gaf for that stuff. Might be less users but you lot have to decide what you want, console users and a busy forum or no console users and less traffic.

All this talk is off topic :p

All I cared about was the very specific issue of moderation trying to tell people that posts which were on the same topic as the entire first page of the thread were off topic ... which just necessitated a silly number of individual moderation actions.

To stop that a hack could be added so that the first post is at the top of every page in the thread.

If my memory serves well, one of the mods used to be know as Xbox destroyer or something. Doesn't sound like MS fanboy to me. ;]

To stop that a hack could be added so that the first post is at the top of every page in the thread.

I said "the entire first page", not "the entire first page minus the first post". It was about exclusivity, only the moderation wanted it otherwise ... trying to force a thread off topic through moderation is a bit of a waste of time. Lock it or move it.

The lessons learned from the Tomb Raider thread will improve future actions.

I believe this thread has served its original and sole purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back