Tomb Raider exclusivity fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
its really not different at all, one company pays to deny the fans of the other console a game.

Sony has been doing it since their first console but we only hear complaints when its ms that does it.

How do you think xbox fans feel about that space game ?

As I already said , tomb raider makes me laugh and so do those who are upset with ms. This is what sony did with the playstation 1. Tomb raider was avalible to all those who had saturns but then sony paid to have the sequal exclusive.

We are going to have to get used to both companies paying to have exclusive content on their platforms. The consoles are both very close to each other like last gen.

Do you have a source for those claims? As far as i know, Saturn was already dead or on its way out by the time Tomb Raider 2 and 3 came out. And literally all of those games also came out on PC.

If you don't have a source, i'll assume your just being how you usually are in regards to these MS topics.

I guess it kindof makes sense, allowing SE+MS to compete against uncharted... but it still sucks :(.
It doesnt make sense. The XB1 owner will have TR as the only choice multiplatform or not. With the game not being released on the PS4 they basically wont get a single unit sale from the PS4 owners. The only thing that makes sense is either a) they took a hefty amount of money or b) they want to strengthen the brand name by placing it as an exclusive

How about we quit talking about how evil companies are and just accept that companies will do what is in their interest.

I'm more interested in what a deal like this is likely going to cost. That deal must be worth quite a lot of money, assuming it's a definite exclusive that is and not timed.

its really not different at all, one company pays to deny the fans of the other console a game.

Sony has been doing it since their first console but we only hear complaints when its ms that does it.

How do you think xbox fans feel about that space game ?

Eh? You dont make any sense. You are replying with assumptions without addressing my points. I also dont care about "complains from fans A vs complains from fans B". I implied nothing of the sort.

Why do you talk about "Xbox fans" or "Sony fans"?

It doesnt make sense. The XB1 owner will have TR as the only choice multiplatform or not. With the game not being released on the PS4 they basically wont get a single unit sale from the PS4 owners. The only thing that makes sense is either a) they took a hefty amount of money or b) they want to strengthen the brand name by placing it as an exclusive

It lets square enix offset the risk. SE know that putting TR up against UC, there is a danger that sales on the PS4 will collapse.
So, if MS are willing to pay SE for some 'optimistic' predicted PS4 sales, it's a win for SE.

But, yes, there would have been very large sums of cash/advertising involved in this, and personally (as a PC gamer), SE can take their franchise and shove it where the sun don't shine :).

Although quite why MS would green-light a cross-generational title at this point is beyond me o_O.

You know, if Tomb Raider is a great game (which I'm sure it will be), I don't think an Uncharted coming out along side it will impact much. I would imagine that most people, fans of both franchises, will just end up getting both - and if not on the first day, then eventually.

The whole deal definately has a Resident Evil going Nintendo exclusive vibe to it...

Quote:
we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming,
How can limiting your franchise to a small subset of the market help make it one of the biggest brands in the whole market?! :oops: Realistically, "MS paid us loads of money to secure this."

And this is where exclusives start to be really mean. There was no knowledge of such an exclusive up to this point, meaning anyone who chose PS4 expecting the multiplat Tomb Raider to come to their console has just been slapped in the face. That's exclusives at their meanest, arbitrarily excluding gamers from content based on the machinations of big business.

Now if it's shown the new TR has extensive Kinect functions only possible on XB1, it'd be justified from a creative perspective. But short of that, it's MS paying to annoy PS4 and PC gamers hoping that they're annoyed enough to shell out another £300 on a new console that otherwise is completely unwarranted.

The comments for that article show the common gamer response...

No sign of anyone using compute for anything but graphics yet.
It'll happen. ;)

MS's exclusive lineup is looking pretty strong for the next 18 months. Lots of big hitters.

Sony exclusives will play well to their existing fanbase, but MS are moving into much broader territory. Halo + TV series, socially oriented open-world Forza Horizon 2, and Tomb Raider as a "holiday 2015" (timed) exclusive.

Building and buying exclusives, and bundling some of them, is probably a cheaper option than heavy price cutting and it strenghtens rather than diminishes the perceived value of the platform.

MS gotta keep shifting them Bones somehow, and this appears to be how ...

I'll have to revise my statement a bit.

I support exclusives outside first parties, when they arent just moneyhats. If they are true collaborations of tech like Sony and From, or funding like Nintendo and Bayonetta, or even due to a true limited player base like a lot of Japanese exclusives on PS3, fine, i accept that. But if your treating me like a product, i don't want anything to do with it.

This is the only chance MS have now: put out major money to buy every game they can exclusive to their box.

So much to the thread: exclusives don't count anymore...I hope people understand now ;-)

I've decided that I support exclusives completely, because it makes adults act like sulking babies on the Internet, judging from some other forums I've been looking at. It's worth it to witness the public embarrassment these people bring upon themselves.

We know companies buy exclusives. What's much rare is cross-platform titles with a history of being available suddenly becoming locked to a brand. Have there been many of these before?

This is what sony did with the playstation 1. Tomb raider was avalible to all those who had saturns but then sony paid to have the sequal exclusive.
Similar, I agree (if Sony did pay to secure exclusivity. Have you any link showing that?), but to a lesser extent. At that point TR wasn't a franchise, and there were few Saturn owners, and the game was also released on PC (going by Wikipedia). There also wasn't an internet to inform people that the game was getting dropped from a platform.

In this case, people are very used to TR's being on lots of platforms for multiple games (2 decades!), were expecting it on other platforms. Having a franchise taken from other platforms is pretty extreme use of the exclusive deal. It's always been games secured as new IPs, like Gears, LBP, Halo, etc. That's what people are used to. Taking cross-platform games and tying them to a platform is pretty hardcore business manoeuvring, and may just backfire.

Shifty said:
MS paying to annoy PS4 and PC gamers hoping that they're annoyed enough to shell out another £300 on a new console that otherwise is completely unwarranted.

Yep totally agree, and I'm annoyed, but buying Microsofts console is certainly not my reaction to the news. Recommending everyone I can against it on the other hand, that feels better to me!

Speaking selfishly ...

With Forza Horizon 2 and Tomb Raider coming to the 360, as well as Titanfall already being there and Destiny being a solid game on 360, I actually have no need to consider a 4Bone until well into next year.

My ageing PC is already as fast (much faster in terms of CPU) than 4Bone, and so the graphics whore in me isn't in much of a hurry either.

Sigh. I remember the good old days, back when all this was just fields, when consoles were powerful at launch ...

I've decided that I support exclusives completely, because it makes adults act like sulking babies on the Internet, judging from some other forums I've been looking at. It's worth it to witness the public embarrassment these people bring upon themselves.

IMHO exclusives are a good thing - more games is good for everyone!

But, paying someone *not* to release a game on your competitor's platform is the opposite of an exclusive... and quite why the PC got dragged into this, I don't know :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back